x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CellStar PocketSurfer / Planon webRacer

C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 7:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

What makes the Web experience on your desktop computer so powerful? A large screen, a familiar keyboard, and a mouse. And that’s precisely what’s engineered into the PocketSurfer™ Web viewer.

Big Screen. With a 640-pixel-wide display you’ll see the Web like it was supposed to be seen – no scrunching, reformatting or text-only sites.

Speed. The PocketSurfer™ Web viewer lets you retrieve more pages faster, similar to what you experience at home or in the office, and much faster than other mobile devices.

Slim case. Easily slip into your pocket with room to spare.

Full keyboard. With a built-in mouse pointer. No triple-tapping on a numeric keypad to type in messages or fill in forms.

Convenience. It connects to the Web via your Bluetooth® wireless technology-capable phone, or with an adapter for non-Bluetooth® wireless technology handsets. Simply connect and Ride the Web™.

The Real Web in the palm of your hand.

It’s all there. The Web brings it to you, whether it’s online shopping or maps to your next appointment. From annual reports to photos from a friend’s trek overseas, the Web delivers the world to you instantly – big, vivid, dynamic. So when you step away from your computer, why be deprived of the rich information and real Web experience you’ve come to rely on? You don’t have to be stuck with mobile devices that deliver the Web as it was never intended; small, dull, and slow.

Enter PocketSurfer™ Web viewer, the portable browser that lets you experience the Web just as you’d expect it on your computer. So now you can get mobile and Ride the Web™.

Size:
5.50x2.75x0.58 (inches)

Display:
Transreflective-display

Screen Resolution:
640pixels (full VGA width)

Data Entry:
Thumb keyboard & mouse pointer

Weight:
3.4 oz

Battery:
Lithium Ion rechargeable

Errors & omissions excepted.
Wireless:

Connectivity through cell phone:
Compatibility with circuit switched (CDMA and GSM) and packet based (IDEN, CDMA-1x, GPRS and Edge) networks.

Wire-line:
Connect to a regular landline with our standard 56kbps Bluetooth Modem.

Speed:
5 to 7 seconds per page average

Now you'll probably want to know what OS it runs, and there are a few implications that it runs CE from users that I've seen. However this 640x240 apparently runs an operating system called "Web OS" . Not one I'm familiar with personally.

Given the price of this $200 US, I would presume it not to be CE because of the licensing cost.

(psurfer_1.jpg)

(psurfer_2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments psurfer_1.jpg (28KB - 79 downloads)
Attachments psurfer_2.jpg (11KB - 77 downloads)
 Top of the page Quote Reply
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 8:25 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah I read about it on a few magazines.

Apparently the browser sucks, and there's no other features at all. Not even PIM.

I'm sorry to bash this thing, but for the size, it could've been a terminal for a Windows Mobile based Smartphone instead, which would've been much more practical. Another free idea of the week from Tak
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-18 8:27 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I agree with you. It has cross over portential, not as a slave but as a stand alone. Heck they've borrowed the H/PC specification!

Keyboard could be a pain as a true clamshell, but it is Jornada small and very thin!
surrealmonk Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 7:43 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Yeah, I checked this thing out when I was shopping for a PDA... besides the fact that it has no other applications besides a browser, the thing that really turned ,e away is that it is dependent upon the company's proxy service. You have to pay them $10/month in addition to data charges to your wireless provider. Since I work for my provider and get free service, that itsn't so bad, but what happens if/when CellStar goes belly-up? You'll basically have a $100 paperweight.

So I got my MobilePro 900C, and wouldn't have it any other way...
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 10:10 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi guys ... its good to "disappear" for awhile ... so much stuffs happening ...

So I guess this one joins the pile of "I-Almost-Made-It" gadgets?
Camus
Camus Page Icon Posted 2008-07-23 2:49 PM
#
Did you check out http://mydataworld.co.uk ?
ZSX Page Icon Posted 2008-07-23 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

This shares a name with the Pocket Surfer 2 which I've had a chance to play with at the PC World in Tottenham Court Road. It is not all that useful for web surfing with a (relatively) low resolution screen and unintuitive web browser and no support for AJAX, Flash or Silverlight. At least that was the impression I had playing with one in store. The one I played with also had possiblly the worst keyboard I have ever used on a portable device, and I have a G.Mate Yopy!
l1
l1 Page Icon Posted 2008-07-27 3:24 PM
#
No, it apparently is some form of remote desktop connection.

If you look in the manuals online for the PocketSurfer 2, it shows parts of IE6's Internet Settings window.
Peter
Peter Page Icon Posted 2008-09-11 4:03 PM
#
rocky
rocky Page Icon Posted 2008-09-12 5:38 PM
#
i din't get u.

california dui

Jump to forum: