x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Email ClientJornada 680)

maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-24 8:51 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

So I got my Jornada 680e in the mail this week and so far I am really enjoying it. False bottom came right off, I may actually put it right back on after putting the CF card in...

My Linksys Wifi Card came yesterday and setting it up was a breeze. For some reason, I cannot get Inbox to check my Pop mail though. I tested all of my account/server info in Thunderbird, and it is correct.

Are there any tricks to getting pocket inbox to work?

Is there a better pop mail client available?

Along those lines, what do you guys use to browse the web (if you do)?

I am beginning to wonder if having a wifi card installed is worth the battery drain...

Thanks in advance for any pointers...
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-02-24 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-24 12:19 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

thanks. I downloaded nPOP, but am having issues trying to get it running.

I get "nPOP is not a valid windows CE application"

EDIT

And... Re-copied the proper SH-3 file. works!

NOW... How about an alternative browser that works better than the included IE?

I liked how Konqueror worked in Jlime, but I want to stick with Windows here.

Edited by maxinflixion 2007-02-24 12:43 PM
 Top of the page
Desertway Page Icon Posted 2007-02-24 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You can also take a look at nPopUK. Search this board or google for a link to the website. It is independantly developed and has some nice features that are not available in nPop. It also has a very active Yahoo group.

But I don't know if there is a version for your processor.

Edited by Desertway 2007-02-24 2:07 PM
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-24 2:27 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks to both of you. I have nPOP installed and working (I am slowly working out the kinks and details). I think this should be sufficient for now.

I wanted the ability to check email, and I got it! Thanks again.
 Top of the page
quiche Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 1:39 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

It's worth considering that some reasonable cellphones now I have the ability to check email. I have the Nokia 6800 that pulls out into a keyboard and it can do email. Therefore I don't really much worry about the handheld doing it.

However, there is another free program - Qmail. Google and you will find it.

On my HPC Pro devices, I use IE. With the 128-bit update (from Downloads here). I also have personal java installed, which might make a difference. I have been able to get into my webmail accounts fine and that's all I need.
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 9:33 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

quiche - 2007-02-27 1:39 AM

It's worth considering that some reasonable cellphones now I have the ability to check email. I have the Nokia 6800 that pulls out into a keyboard and it can do email. Therefore I don't really much worry about the handheld doing it.

However, there is another free program - Qmail. Google and you will find it.

On my HPC Pro devices, I use IE. With the 128-bit update (from Downloads here). I also have personal java installed, which might make a difference. I have been able to get into my webmail accounts fine and that's all I need.

Indeed, my cellphone is ok with email. Crackberry is great for my business email, but personal is slower.

I basically am using my Jornada as a bedside companion (alarm clock, light web surfing and email). nPOP has been great for just opening the HPC up and POPping (pun intended) into my email accounts.

I'll add the 128-bit update to my IE today to see how that works out. I also downloaded a trial version of Pocket Browser to see how that works out.

thanks fo rthe help everyone.

Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 1:07 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

http://www.npopsupport.org.uk/

It's not quite "independently" developed ... the basic code is the same.

There is an SH3 version; I think I've compiled nPOPuk for everything that the original nPOP is compiled for. (And a little more; nPOP stopped updating the WinCE2.0 version at v1.0.6, but nPOPuk started with the 1.0.9 code and advanced from that.)

Desertway - 2007-02-24 2:06 PM

You can also take a look at nPopUK. Search this board or google for a link to the website. It is independantly developed and has some nice features that are not available in nPop. It also has a very active Yahoo group.

But I don't know if there is a version for your processor.
 Top of the page
x-soar
x-soar Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 4:53 AM
#
Hello,friend
I find nPOP quite slow.
I was seeking for a POP3 client that could just receive the new mail or can delete the mail in my web mailbox that it had received, rather than download all the mails in my mail box each time.

Is there a software that can fulfill the commitment i mentioned ?

Thank you.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 6:32 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

x-soar - 2007-03-22 4:53 AM
I find nPOP quite slow.

Have you tried nPOPuk? I've put a lot of work into improving it over the original nPOP. However, I'm not sure what exactly you find slow about it that would be fixed by a different program rather than say, high-speed internet or a faster computer ...

I was seeking for a POP3 client that could just receive the new mail or can delete the mail in my web mailbox that it had received, rather than download all the mails in my mail box each time.

Perhaps you haven't fully understood all the options available in nPOP(uk). You can set it to download only the first N lines rather than entire messages -- in fact, this was one of the first "selling points" of the original nPOP, and I think N=100 by default. There's also a setting that forces nPOP(uk) to download all the messages each time (StartInit=1), but the default is 0, so I don't know why you'd be having trouble.

I do know there were problems with some mail servers (eg Yahoo) that would reorder the messages on occasion (eg, if a message got held up in transmission, such that it was sent earlier than a message already in your account). If you dramatically change the contents of your account, then nPOP(uk) may not be able to correlate messages you've already downloaded with what's on the server. To work around these cases, you can specify downloading starting at a particular message number, and I've added an option in nPOPuk such that it won't delete messages that were downloaded earlier.

Other than these options, you may be actually looking for an IMAP client (assuming your server supports IMAP); the IMAP protocol was designed to allow access from multiple clients.
 Top of the page
x-soar
x-soar Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 8:36 AM
#
Oh you Punch Me in the Stomach .

That is it!

Thank you for the explaination.

But the Settings did puzzle me for some time.

BTW Is there a way that i can sort the mail in to differet catalogue?
Just like in OE or Bat.

Thank you
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 8:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Really, I'm not a violent kind of guy ...

One of my users makes (in my view) excessive use of Saveboxes -- note that (unlike nPOP) nPOPuk allows you to have more than one! He then filters the incoming messages automatically into the various saveboxes and handles them from there.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.359 - Cached queries : 46 - Executed queries : 30