x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

YAJ680eQ(Yet Another Jornada 680e Question) UPGRADE?

maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-25 11:18 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Ok, now that I have everything running solidly and can check my email w/o issue, I am very excited about this new toy. I can't wait to go out and about with it.

Since it was a Dutch Railways conversion, it came w/o audio buttons. I picked up a "parts only" 690 on Ebay for a few bucks if only for the ability to salvage these buttons.

It didn't even strike me as a possibility until after I purchased this broken item that the ROM may well be in good shape. Is it a possibility to swap the ROMs between these two devices?

Is there anything else that would be "better quality" on a 690 that I should look out for?

I'm not too keen on disassembling a working device, but if I can effectively double the RAM, it may be worth it.
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-25 1:57 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Used to have a J680 and bought the daughter-board new from HP to upgrade the ram to a J690-the more memory makes a difference. Installation was not really that difficult-there is a Ebay vendor in England-Jornada Central that has detailed pictures of the update steps to add the Ram memory. Backup the J680. Remove both batteries-including backup battery. Remove screws to get keyboard open and just fold over on desk without detaching-ram module is on left side-carefully pry up and lift out and replace with J690 ram module. Replace batteries and press reset-everything has to be re-entered-stylus calibration etc. You'll have to likely start over with email etc.I've done it 3x with update module on a J720 from 32mb ram to 64mb ram and originally on the J680. Takes 10 to 15 minutes. Keep the rest of the J690 for parts-you may need them. As well there were still software updates for most of the 680-690 Jornada's on the HP website at least up to a year ago. When my J690 died-I went to a J720 and now a J728-they are substantially faster than the J690 ever was.
wildbill
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-25 8:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

EXACTLY the info I was looking for. I'll be attempting to swap out the ROM.

Would it be better to use the bottom plate of the 690, or does the bottom stick out when using a CF card AND WiFi card at the same time on the 690 as well..
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 12:12 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

The 680 and 690 are the same-I wouldn't switch them-unless you have some other reason to do so. Replacing the ram only involves loosening-3 screws to get the keyboard away from the case-the ribbon connector doesn't even have to be removed to get at the ram module. You have to be careful with the ribbon connectors-I accidently broke one off trying to fix the PCMCIA holding bracket on the J690.

Go to the web-site below-it has detailed instructions for the ram upgrade with detailed pictures-

http://home.freeuk.com/gogmagog/installation_guides/installation_guide_memory_680_680e_690_690e.html

wildbill
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 12:25 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The bottom does stick out if you have both cards in. (There's a small folding leg on the other end to elevate the entire unit evenly.)
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 8:50 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

CE Geek - 2007-02-26 12:25 AM

The bottom does stick out if you have both cards in. (There's a small folding leg on the other end to elevate the entire unit evenly.)

Oh. My. God! I couldn't figure what the hell that little fold out thing was! Probably because I played with it PRIOR to adding the cards... No joke, I actually went out and bough tthese little stick on rubber feet to balance the unit out!

Don't I feel like a buffoon.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-02-26 1:46 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I still miss plenty of stuff right under my nose even these days. Don't sweat it. (I'm sure the rubber feet will come in handy somewhere else.)
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 2:53 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Now, I also understand that the keyboard on the Dutch Railways 680e has slightly smaller keys. Assumign the keyboard comes intact on this broken 690, I wonder if it is swappable.

With these tiny keys, ANY size increase is substantial...
 Top of the page
wildbill Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 3:00 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

You can try-the keyboard from the 690 will likely work-just be careful with the ribbon clips. As I said before they break easier-properly because they become brittle over
time. Its certainly worth a try. Have you exchanged the ram module yet? There is an external keyboard for the 680's, and 720's. I sold mine last year which is useful if you do alot of typing.
wildbill
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-02-27 4:00 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I expect the 690 in the mail either this afternoon ro tomorrow.

Here's my to-do list:
Replace screw for base (680e screws were longer due to DR Conversion plate)
Replace (and test) RAM module
Replace (and test) keyboard (if it appears to be worthwhile)

BUT FIRST... I will fully test the 690 itself to see what issues it has as these were all as-is sales and it may not be in that poor of a condition...
 Top of the page
maxinflixion Page Icon Posted 2007-03-02 5:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

OK, my broken 690 showed up today. First thing I did was toss a battery in there, and it POWERED RIGHT UP. Screen seemed a little laggy at first though, but they may have been due to cold weather and no backup battery.

So, I started my surgery.

ROM Swap... CHECK!!!
Keyboard Swap... CHECK!!!
Screw Swap... CHECK!!!
Audio buttons? They fell apart on removal, so I will be waiting for my replacement set to arrive from Jornada Central in UK...

Thanks everyone for your feedback and assistance.

Now it's time to re-install everything (yes, I forgot to backup what little info I had on it)...

p.s. The "690" I have left had a broken CF Card door, which got more broken as I poked and prodded at it. If anyone has interest in the old 680 ROM, 690 Screen or 680e Keyboard, let me know.

Ironically, I threw the 680e "Dutch Railways" cover on the old 690 to cover the CF Card issue. I just replaced the backup battery and powered her up. Works! I now have two working Jornadas. This one could possibly be my straight up alarm clock while I use the new improved 680 as a tagalong device. Or I may just throw this one on Ebay to recoup costs...

Edited by maxinflixion 2007-03-02 6:11 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10