x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

D-Link Ethernet Car/J-720

Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 1:56 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
I'm posing this query out of pure curiosity (I network wirelessly with an Orinoco Gold card). To troubleshoot a laptop wireless network problem, I had to buy a cheap ethernet card--the D-Link DFE-690TXD.

I was wondering if anybody ever got that card working with a J-720. Googling shows little except complaints, D-Link's website shows no CE drivers, HPCFactor's hardware compatability makes no reference to the card, so I don't think the D-Link works with CE devices.

I'm simply posting to see if anybody knows differently.

Thanks,
Jake
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-03-19 10:12 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Jake - 2005-03-19 7:56 PM

I'm posing this query out of pure curiosity (I network wirelessly with an Orinoco Gold card). To troubleshoot a laptop wireless network problem, I had to buy a cheap ethernet card--the D-Link DFE-690TXD.

I was wondering if anybody ever got that card working with a J-720. Googling shows little except complaints, D-Link's website shows no CE drivers, HPCFactor's hardware compatability makes no reference to the card, so I don't think the D-Link works with CE devices.

I'm simply posting to see if anybody knows differently.

Thanks,
Jake

is it ne2000 compatible? you could try that... insert the card (i hope, it is not a cardbus ) then type ne2000 when the jornada asks for the driver.. if it doesn't work.. pity...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 7:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

DFX-690TXD
http://support.dlink.com/products/view.asp?productid=DFE%2D690TXD

A quick google tells us that it is CardBus and thus wont work.

Which D-Link network adapters are 16-bit (PCMCIA) and 32-bit (Cardbus)?

32-Bit Adapters
DFE-660TX
DFE-680TX/TXD
DFE-690TXD
DWL-650 (rev. K-M)
DWL-650+
DWL-650H
DWL-A650
DWL-G650
DWL-AG650
DWL-AB650

16-Bit Adapters
DE-660CT
DFE-650TX
DFE-670TXD
DWL-650 (rev. A-J, P)
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 3:53 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Thanks to both of you.

I approached google in the wrong way, researching "d-link" and "jornada 720" instead of "cardbus" etc.

Its 32-bit make-up explains why the Jornada just sat there quietly when I tried it out. I thought the machine was simply unimpressed, but the rejection turns out to be worse than that

Much obliged,
Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 4:24 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Actually I recommend when searching for things like this not to be any more specific than the model number of combinations there of

"DFX-690TXD" or "DFX 690TXD", head for the manufacturers site check for drivers there first then the specification. Unless there are specific drivers or it is NE2000 it wont work.

In the case of WiFi you then want to research the chipset, but that's all there is too it.
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 7:51 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I can't imagine the future of wired ethernet cards. I bought one merely to investigate a wireless problem (I needed to know if it was my setup or the server's problem), but other than the hassle of setting up a wireless network, what would be the point of a wired card?

Especially since the cards are built for a mobile unit to begin with. But I guess there's a market for everything--remember "pet rocks"?

Jake
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 8:04 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Just wait until we get a "WiFi causes cancer" scare, and you'll all be clamouring for Wi-Ethernet
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2005-03-20 11:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hey, I hadn't thought of that! And it wouldn't be localized sickness, like from standing in front of a microwave. You could get cancer all over the house.
 Top of the page
GopherBaroque Page Icon Posted 2009-11-11 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Glad to find this thread since a D-Link DFE-670TXD card was included with my ebay Jornada 720 as an "oh, by the way, you might as well take this, too". I am responding to the question why anyone would want an ethernet PCMCIA card. In my case, it is because I want to use the Jornada as an interface between an amateur radio station receiving (GPS position) information from other stations and porting it to the internet. So I am not using it for mobility but just a convenient computer.

I might also mention that in my work situation, we have people moving locations with laptops but plugging into ethernet cables since not all our conference rooms have WIFI. In fact, some are "secure" so WIFI would be illegal.

In any case, I appreciate the explaination that this card / PC combo is not going to work (and a little explanation why) so I don't waste time on it.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 28