x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Laptopforless - MobilePro 900 battery and AC adaptor

1 2 3
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-22 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Is anyone here familiar with this outfit?

http://www.laptopsforless.com/index.html

I'm looking for a second AC adapter and std battery for my NEC MobilePro 900. They sell compatible components at roughly half the price of the genuine NEC parts. Any thoughts anyone? TIA!

Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-03-22 11:43 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Let me just add, that I recently ordered (via 1-800 number) an extra new battery & AC adapter for my 900 from these folks, and both the service and delivery was superb.

For HP 720/728 users - I believe they also sell batteries for those units, not sure about the adapters?

Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-22 11:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-03-22 11:43 AM

Let me just add, that I recently ordered (via 1-800 number) an extra new battery & AC adapter for my 900 from these folks, and both the service and delivery was superb.

For HP 720/728 users - I believe they also sell batteries for those units, not sure about the adapters?

Thanks for the prompt feedback!

Were they genuine HP replacements HJ or what they refer to as "compatible" components. In my case, they clearly state in the product descriptions that these are compatible components, not original, supposedly 100% OEM compatible. When I enlarge the image, NEC doesn't show anywhere (unlike the original product.)
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-03-22 10:24 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben

Yes - They sell compatiable componants.....the NEC label is replaced by LapTopsforLess.com name, other than that the batteries seem to be identical.

In terms of the Adapter, the plug portion is a bit larger and the actual cord is must longer then the original NEC adapter, which I really like because I find the NEC adapter cord way to short. What were they thinking? The LaptopsforLess one works great with my 900!

I'm sure if you call the 1 - 800 number they can answer any questions you might have.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 5:55 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-03-22 10:24 PM

Uncle Ben

Yes - They sell compatiable componants.....the NEC label is replaced by LapTopsforLess.com name, other than that the batteries seem to be identical.

In terms of the Adapter, the plug portion is a bit larger and the actual cord is must longer then the original NEC adapter, which I really like because I find the NEC adapter cord way to short. What were they thinking? The LaptopsforLess one works great with my 900!

I'm sure if you call the 1 - 800 number they can answer any questions you might have.

Hey, thanks "Stormy" John, much appreciated!
 Top of the page
bruisedquasar Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 9:56 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Uncle Ben - 2005-03-22 11:28 AM

I would exercise caution with these folks. I have been looking at them for months but haven't bought anything from them. They do some things that concern me and I have read very angry posts from some Canadians but nothing negative from an America so far. The Canadian posts (six of them) claimed they were charged exorbitant S\H . It is possible that they are just expressing hate for Americans.

My concern is what I found when I Google searched for a Casio BE 300 battery. I got dozens of hits from what seemed to be dozens of sellers but they ALL turned out to be Laptopsforless, when you clicked on "buy." I cannot figure out why an honest retailer would do such a thing. Laptopsforless claims there is a one year factory warranty, which cannot be true.

Casio abandoned the BE 300 18 months ago. They do not back the BE or any component for it. The last BE battery Casio made was 18 months ago. Lithium ion battery life span does not begin with first use date but with manufacture date. Based on laptopsforless authoritative approach to its copious battery sales, we can expect them to know batteries, which means they know there is no factory warranty on BE batteries and that anyone who buys one of their 18 month old (or older) batteries listed for $49.95 may get less than a year of acceptable use.

I would not buy anything expensive from laptopsforless. ,,,but that is just my humble opinion

Edited by bruisedquasar 2005-03-23 10:09 AM
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 10:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Without having researched this to any degree, or being in North America to proove or disprove any prejudice to those North of the boarder...

Couldn't Factory wattanty imply that the cell manufacturer is providing the cover for their product, and not that it implies Casio are.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 10:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

bruisedquasar - 2005-03-23 9:56 AM

......and that anyone who buys one of their 18 month old (or older) batteries listed for $49.95 may get less than a year of acceptable use.

OK - So what you are saying is that the lifespan (acceptable use) of a Lithium Ion battery is 2.5 years from the manufacture date? Define acceptable use?

Where pray tell did you get that information? Can you point me to a website, book or article where this is specified!

I've been using the same Lithium Ion battery in my MP 780 for almost 5 years and I still get 3.5 - 4 hrs out of it.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 10:57 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-03-23 10:28 AM

......and that anyone who buys one of their 18 month old (or older) batteries listed for $49.95 may get less than a year of acceptable use.

OK - So what you are saying is that the lifespan (acceptable use) of a Lithium Ion battery is 2.5 years from the manufacture date? Define acceptable use?

Where pray tell did you get that information? Can you point me to a website, book or article where this is specified!

I've been using the same Lithium Ion battery in my MP 780 for almost 5 years and I still get 3.5 - 4 hrs out of it.

Hey, Big John, about that battery that you've been using for almost 5 years, is that the original battery or one you got from lapttop4less? TIA,

Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben

It has the NEC name on it - but that doen't mean that NEC made the battery.
It may have been produced by a third party company and NEC had it's name put on it!

I don't know? Is NEC in the battery business?

Edited by Hurricane John 2005-03-23 11:12 AM
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 11:26 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-03-23 11:10 AM

Uncle Ben

It has the NEC name on it - but that doen't mean that NEC made the battery.
It may have been produced by a third party company and NEC had it's name put on it!

I don't know? Is NEC in the battery business?

I don't have a clue - Did you buy your NEC new and this is the original battery that came with it, that's what I was really asking, as opposed to it being one of those batteries you bought from laptopforless.
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 11:32 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Nope - bought it used and this is the origianl battery that came with it!
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hurricane John - 2005-03-23 11:32 AM

Nope - bought it used and this is the origianl battery that came with it!

But I gather from your initial reply to my post that you have bought NEC batteries from them before and you're happy with them, right?

Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 12:08 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I would exercise caution with these folks. I have been looking at them for months but haven't bought anything from them. They do some things that concern me and I have read very angry posts from some Canadians but nothing negative from an America so far. The Canadian posts (six of them) claimed they were charged exorbitant S\H . It is possible that they are just expressing hate for Americans.

My concern is what I found when I Google searched for a Casio BE 300 battery. I got dozens of hits from what seemed to be dozens of sellers but they ALL turned out to be Laptopsforless, when you clicked on "buy." I cannot figure out why an honest retailer would do such a thing. Laptopsforless claims there is a one year factory warranty, which cannot be true.

Casio abandoned the BE 300 18 months ago. They do not back the BE or any component for it. The last BE battery Casio made was 18 months ago. Lithium ion battery life span does not begin with first use date but with manufacture date. Based on laptopsforless authoritative approach to its copious battery sales, we can expect them to know batteries, which means they know there is no factory warranty on BE batteries and that anyone who buys one of their 18 month old (or older) batteries listed for $49.95 may get less than a year of acceptable use.

I would not buy anything expensive from laptopsforless. ,,,but that is just my humble opinion

Thank you BQ, I saw the same things you saw when I GOOGLE'd for my NEC OP-MP9-BATTERY which is why I decided to raise the question here in this forum. So I appreciate your feedback, which confirms my doubts. Replacement batteries are hard to find, aren't they - and now that NEC is discontinuing its MobilePro line, I thought I'd better hit the market place and get another one before they go "out of style." Thanks again, much appreciated.
 Top of the page
Rocketman Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I purchased a battery from them for my Jornada 720. The battery went dead after about a week of use. I called their tech support line and after a little muzak, I got through to one of their support reps. They issued me an RMA number. I sent my battery back and about a week later got a replacement battery from them. The replacement is working great and is a perfect match to the dimmensions of my HP branded batteries.I felt they provided good support when I had a problem with their product, so I wouldn't discount them just yet. They are one of the few companies that is still supporting the HPC market with replacement batteries.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 11