x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Software difference?

Sysco Page Icon Posted 2007-03-14 12:20 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

A noob asking for knowledge. Whats the difference between Windows CE.Net and Windows CE?
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-14 12:47 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Well basically (and I know others can elaborate on this), all versions are really called Windows CE. However, the Windows CE.Net moniker was used mostly to denote Windows CE versions 4.0 through 4.2. Before 4.0 (namely 3.0 and earlier) and after 4.2 (namely 5.0 and newer) they seemed to have dropped the ".Net" part of the series name so that it's just Windows CE again. Don't ask me why, but that's just what I've noticed.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-03-14 1:13 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

.net was a Marketing initiative that Microsoft was going to use to define all of its "Next generation" products. The monkier was going to be used as Windows .net and Office .net as well as Visual Studio .net and the .net languages - next Gen.

What happened was that the marketers got involved and discovered that the public found it too confusing, the domain name issue, the cross naming of applications and so on. So, what we got was Windows XP, Office XP, Visual Studio 2002 .net and er... .net.

By the time that happened CE 4 had already been announced as CE .net.
 Top of the page
Sysco Page Icon Posted 2007-03-14 1:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

aha thanks C:Amie From my Ipaq days I have a large amount of apps stored up. Will they work on handhelds like MP 900(c)?

Edited by Sysco 2007-03-14 1:22 PM
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-14 1:36 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Sysco - 2007-03-14 1:16 PM

aha thanks C:Amie From my Ipaq days I have a large amount of apps stored up. Will they work on handhelds like MP 900(c)?

Depending on what iPAQ you're referring to, the ones that ran PocketPC 2000 and 2002, you'll have a greater chance of getting those apps to run without much fuss at all on the 900c. However, PocketPC 2003 applications should work almost as easy because it uses the same base OS as the 900c (CE.Net 4.2). However there are a number of applications that depend on PocketPC-specific libraries that aren't available for the 900c and other CE .Net 4.2 devices (e.g. CEMAPI.dll). But for the most part PPC apps will just be missing common DLLs that can be found on Cmonex's website (e.g. aygshell, cellcore, doclist, note_prj).
 Top of the page
Sysco Page Icon Posted 2007-03-14 2:14 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Sorry about that. It was the Ipaq 3955, my old buddy I take a look at Cmonex's
site.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 13