x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Mobilepro 900c and linux is possible?

« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next »
hpcnut.co.uk Page Icon Posted 2007-07-30 8:16 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Thanks Encore,

I did try the bios when it first happened. All the options are fine but still the same problem after restarting. I have also tried disabling the cd and other media from booting. This is a huge problem as i can't log in to my windows desktop machine.

Any further advice is appreciated.
 Top of the page
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-07-30 6:04 PM
#
sorry to hear that

can you tell if its the bios asking for the cd? maybe when the puppy loaded into ram it stayed?! maybe a ups could retain this in ram?
i didn;t think that could happen but at this stage i'd say yank the power on the machine,
sorry unplug it =-) open it up and follw the bios reset instructions, usually removing the cell and/or pressing a microswitch.
that would clear the ram in case the bootloader has got stuck in it.
the only thing you loose is your bios settings that you can fix quickly enough.

really stumped other than that.

Top of the page
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-07-30 6:23 PM
#
bah sorry forgot to ask what happens when you boot with "boot from cd" on and the puppy cd in the drive? maybe if you boot in again and try exiting puppy again that will help..
 Top of the page
hpcnut.co.uk Page Icon Posted 2007-08-01 2:58 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Hey thanks for your reply. I had tried rebooting numerous times after using puppy with the cd in the drive. I have also taken out the bios battery but this still does not work. Even worse is i dont have the option to start in safe mode, nor did my computer come with a recovery cd. I think this could be an expensive trip to PC World! - Cheers.
 Top of the page
oski Page Icon Posted 2007-08-01 6:19 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hi,

If you have a FDD try booting from there.
Lots of booting disks available in many websites.
Good luck
 Top of the page
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-08-01 6:44 PM
#
hey sorry to hear nothings working,

i'd go with oski's advice then, maybe flash the bios? as they say there's nothing left to loose.

Good luck
 Top of the page
vit
vit Page Icon Posted 2007-08-04 9:24 AM
#
HI! Can anyone help to a new user of mobile pro 900c. What is better: linux or win ce for it? If linux, which version can thus be used and are there any guides on how to install?
Another question: why my OS often say: this is not a valid application for win ce. I can't install even softmaker for text editing and templates.
Will appreciate any comments in this regard.
Vit
 Top of the page
hpcnut.co.uk Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 6:19 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I took my computer to the repair centre. It would seem my drive was partitioned and could therefore not boot windows. This has proved expensive in terms of money and in data loss. I am waiting delivery of a recovery CD which could take up to 28 days. Thanks Encore and for your help with trying to get me up and running. I can safely say i'll be sticking with Windows CE from now on!
 Top of the page
Jens Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 8:29 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

vit - 2007-08-04 9:24 AM

HI! Can anyone help to a new user of mobile pro 900c. What is better: linux or win ce for it? If linux, which version can thus be used and are there any guides on how to install?

Hi vit,
currently Linux for mp900 is highly experimental - you cannot even flash the rom with it yet. However if you want to try that out (Caution: The files in the ram will be lost like if you'd do a hard reset!), have a look at this tutorial http://www.belxs.com/michel/mp900/LinuxonMobilepro900.htm

vit - 2007-08-04 9:24 AMAnother question: why my OS often say: this is not a valid application for win ce. I can't install even softmaker for text editing and templates.

Most times it's either the OS-Version being incompatible or the software is written for another device - e.g. a pocketpc.
But I'm not an expert either.

Best regards
Jens
 Top of the page
encore
encore Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 11:29 AM
#
hey hpcnut,

that bites, i'm silly over backups have 3 copies of all important stuff

hope yr back on track soon.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-08-05 7:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

vit: those are setup.exe's, that say not valid app, run them on the PC while the 900c is connected to the PC over activesync.
linux is not for you yet as a user. even apm is not implemented yet. but if you feel curious have a play.
 Top of the page
bsaunder
bsaunder Page Icon Posted 2007-08-07 2:06 PM
#
hmm...I think we need to circle the wagons around one spot for our efforts...

Currently we have:
- hpcfactor, the forum (here)
- The wiki - http://www.handhelds.org/moin/moin.cgi/NecMobilePro900
- The Xoops site - http://mobilepro.homelinux.org/xoops/htdocs/modules/news/
- The install manual - http://www.belxs.com/michel/download/LinuxonMobilepro900.zip
- Eye candy - http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/900c/linux/
- The distro - http://devfiles.jlime.com/900c_Henchman_1.0.0-Testing/
- and others I've missed I'm sure...
(THANKS to everyone, making the list above showed me a LOT of people working HARD on to get linux on the mp900/900c. THANKS!)

I recommend that we circle the wagon around www.jlime.com.
- The kernel is hosted here and git'able
- the distro above is based off of jlime
- I've asked Kristoffer (jlime organzier) for 2 new forums on the jlime site: henchman kernel and henchman general. (a specific forum is needed for mp900/linux. This thread is tooo long.

Just my 2 cents,
Bill
 Top of the page
dexgo
dexgo Page Icon Posted 2007-08-09 6:51 PM
#
I got icewm working on my mobilepro.

I need sound. i supoose there is nothing for that?

also usb. of course.

what about a package manager? and installing other linux apps?

is there a compiler I could use?

gentoo would be the way to go if ever possible on this beast.

I formated my 2 gig and 4 gig flash cards but I get kernel pannic when I boot my haret. on both.

unable to mount hda1 or hda2.....

works fine and dandy on a 512.

does anyone have trouble getting it working on a 2 gig 4 gig or an 8 gig?

thanks
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-08-09 9:49 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I know that on the Jornada 720 JLime forums, several people have had trouble with the bigger CF's but none with 512MB (me included). No idea if this is true of all 1G+ cards or just certain types.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-08-10 11:34 PM
#
H/PC Elite

dexgo: The kernel hacking for the 900c is in the early stages. Alot isnt patched yet, so there wont be sound, usb, suspend etc for some time to come yet. As it is this project has come from nothing 6 months ago to being bootable and semi usable. Patience.

As for the cf card issues, please visit jlimes forums. Posting here will get now where fast. The jlime kernel developer needs to know which cards dont work, so they can be fixed. Mostly its generic or rebranded cards that dont work. I have a 1 and 2 gig Kodak CF that works perfectly, as does both 512 meg sandisks and 512 meg kingston.

Some people have bypassed this issue by creating a 512 meg ext2 partition instead of using the whole CF and have had success.

Package managers are in both the icewm and opie images, though most prefer to install via the command line. Package feeds are also available with hundreds of packages ready to install.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 11