x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Frozen
yiha Page Icon Posted 2007-04-14 8:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

ok i got a lot more further. I reinstalled the modules again and now my system boots nicely without errors, except one: It tells me that i may use this option options orinoco_cs ignore_cis_vcc=1 to get my card working, exactly like discribed in this thread http://www.nabble.com/How-to-install-Familiar-on-a-Jornada-720-t2261557.html so i made this /etc/modutils/orinoco_cs.conf but it still tells me that i should add that line . Maybe its placed wrong? I made that file with editor in win and copied it ofer to the fat partition and then used "mv" to place it right. Maybe it doesnt like notepad files? I would use nano but its not installed and i am not very familiar with "vi". Hmmm i am quite sure i almost made it since its mentioned that with my card i need to add that line, but is it right?

And sorry if questions have been asked allready hundred times. But plz believe me I ALLWAYS read everything i can find thats related with my problem, and i usually dont even post at all, becouse most of the time i am sure its allready solved and printed or impossible. But this time i allready knew that my wifi card would make some problems but is generally reported to be working.
And I think it would make things a lot easier if you would post some tutorials and sticky them. Not for me, but maybe for others.
I would write a tutorial, if you admit, once i got everything set up

YIIIIIIIIIIIIIHAAA! I MADE IT!!!! i had to add that shit to the /etc/modules.conf as well!!!!

Edited by yiha 2007-04-14 8:53 AM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-14 12:29 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Congratulations, glad to hear you got it figured out. Persistance pays off.

There really wasnt a need to make a tutorial on wifi /network cards, as 90% of the available 16 bit cards just worked without having to do anything. That being said, since you have an oddball card, if you could post a mini-howto here on exactly what you did to get it working, i will gladly add that to the README.TXT on the download page for other users to see.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-14 5:07 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yeah. But I stick to my point of not asking kernel-related problems in this thread.
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-14 5:40 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have tested both images and they are both awsome but i like the GPE visually more,.i have been using 720 degrees for a while now also and just love the option to have a choice of which Linux OS to run.
As for those who have been waiting a while for Jlime on the Jornada 720,all i can say is it is coming along nicely,i am testing it and have used shh to connect to freeshells.ch shell account and from there used irc to connect to Jlimes irc channel on freenode.net to test my aironet 340 wifi card

Edited by hagisbasheruk 2007-04-14 5:50 PM
 Top of the page
Syba
Syba Page Icon Posted 2007-04-15 5:42 PM
#
I can't run opie... It says that "FAT: bogus logical sector size 25956" & "Kernel panic: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 03:02" Please help
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-15 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Elder

How did you partition your card?
 Top of the page
Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 12:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

RTFM,

Does your Familiar+OPIE distro has support for PCMCIA USB card and USB Mass Storage devices? If not could I compile familiar with such support enabled?

I have 32-bit PC Card with 4 USB ports. I know that Jornada's PCMCIA port doesn't support 32-bit CardBus. But I don't know whether this is a software (Windows HPC2000) or a hardware limitation.

The guy who sold me J720 asserted that he was able to successfully connect USB flash drive to J720 via that 32-bit PC Card on Linux. (Anyway I'm going to search for a 16-bit PCMCIA USB card if my 32-bit card won't work)

Thank you

Edited by Kolya 2007-04-16 12:09 PM
 Top of the page
Syba
Syba Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 4:04 PM
#
I've used efdisk. What's a problem?
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 5:13 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

32-bit pc cards are incompatible by hardware...

and syba, using a gui tool to install, as PS proven to me 100x over, just don't work well at all.. just use the console...
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 6:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Quick n dirty partition how-to using cfdisk: (recommended)

#cfdisk /dev/sda (assuming cf card is sda)
delete partitions if any (trust me, i dont care if the partitions were already made. delete them)
create new partition (minimum 5 meg), select 'type' fat16 (06), then select 'bootable'
create new partition on empty space (170 meg or more), select 'type' ext2 (83)
select 'write' to write the partition tables
select quit

Now format the partitions:
#/sbin/mkdosfs /dev/sda1 (fat partition)
#/sbin/mke2fs /dev/sda2 (ext2 partition)

extract files/folders to correct partitions as root user
unmount cf card
pop cf in jornada and boot
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Yeah, gui tools are crap.

Kolya: He lied.
 Top of the page
dr_ot
dr_ot Page Icon Posted 2007-05-02 4:23 PM
#
I’m trying to copy opie software on a 512 CF card so that I can install on my J728. But despite your very clear instructions, I’m not having much luck. As a newbie, I would appreciate any help that you might give me

After logging in on the root account, I think I managed to delete any partitions and to create the 2 new partitions (“bootable” fat16 and ext2 with the appropriate amount of disk space) using cfdisk. But when I selected “write” to write the partition tables, I can message saying, “illegal command” and a note about re-booting. When I rebooted my machine and returned to cfdisk, the sda1 (fat) and sda2 (ext2) partitions were listed on the screen, so I think they are there even though I was unable to use the “write” command.

Next, I used your instructions to format the partitions and did not receive any error message. When I downloaded the file and tried to extract the “fat” files to /dev/sda1, I received the following message, “file found, where folder expected”. Same message when I tried to extract the “ext2” files to /dev/sda2. Any ideas on what I’m doing wrong?

I did not the “mount” the CF card prior to partitioning the card because the CF was already on my desktop. Is this something that I needed to do?

Thanks in advance for your help.

dr_ot
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-05-02 8:26 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

you had the same problems i had... you can't really put things on the dev...

what i did was
mkdir /mnt/flash1
mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/flash1

then do the same for the ext2, change where appropriate. then just follow the rest of the instructions
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-05-02 8:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

You must mount - the device files are only pointers to the devices, not for copying files like we want to do.

I'm not sure what happened with the whole partitioning, but if it works, then great.
 Top of the page
dr_ot
dr_ot Page Icon Posted 2007-05-07 5:53 PM
#

Thanks to all for your help. Got it partitioned correctly. Intially, I kept getting an error message when I tried to extract the files to the correct partitions. I later realized that my problem was trying to extract all the files at once. It worked fine when I extracted a quarter of the files at once.

After putting in the CF card I tried rebooting (soft reset then a hard reset - is that the way to boot from the CF?) and nothing happened. After I several attempts at just booted in CE, went to the CF card folder and double-clicked on the linux.exe file in the fat partition. Now it works! Looks great and no problems using my wifi card.

My only have a few minor issues: 1) I somehow managed to minimize system time window and can't seem to maximize it.
2) I can't figure out how to configure my Opera screen; the top of the screen is covered by a grey bar and I can't get to the top of the screen. Also is there a way to configure the screen so that the address window is on top? 3) I can't navigate to the bottom of the e-mail configuration screen to put in my password.

Any tips appreciated. What a sweet desktop!

dr_ot

Top of the page
« Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 13