x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... Next »
Frozen
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-10-12 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

RTFM - 2007-10-12 8:44 AM

Well, the most current would be the latest jlime images located here: http://devfiles.jlime.com/7XX_Mongo_1.0.0-Testing/
Currently we still need sound and true suspend. (fake suspend is currently being used) otherwise its quite complete.

My older 2.4 kernel images are based on familiar linux, but have sound if you want to plays music or videos. I no longer support these images, but they are quite useable and are premade with lots of common applications already installed. Great for a newbie who doesnt want to spend time setting things up.
They can be found here: http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/j720/linux/index.html

Cheers

Within the directory, there are a bunch of tar files. My 1st guess is zImage-2.6.19-rc6, but it's only 1MB. My 2nd guess would be opie-image-Mongo-jornada7xx.rootfs.tar.bz2. Another file is icewm-image-... Umm, a little confusing for a Jlime newbie like me.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-10-12 2:06 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Visiting jlimes forums would answer this for you, but since i'm a nice guy i'll help.

There are 4 files you need: params.txt, jlinexec.exe and zImage-2.6.19-rc6 (these get put on fat16 partition)
and then depending on what GUI you want to use you would choose opie-image or icewm-image (which would be extracted to the ext2 partition).

Cheers.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-10-12 2:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks. I'll try your GPE build first.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-10-30 5:13 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Updated GPE image again. Numerous changes and applications added. Lots of small bugs fixed etc. If you have the old version i'd highly recommend this new release. Keyboard shortcuts now work, sketchpad now works, updated to a better pdf viewer, added a better ebook reader amongst other things.

As always grab it here: http://www.hostwork.com/users/matt/j720/ and be sure to read the README for more in depth changes.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-10-30 5:15 PM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-11-08 12:41 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I tried iceWM image and had problems. Maybe, it's because my CF card had some remnants from donkey. I then formatted the CF card and tried opie image. It's pretty good. I look forward to the formal release of Mongo.
 Top of the page
~Q~
~Q~ Page Icon Posted 2007-11-08 1:25 PM
#
i use the icewm, and i prefer it over the gpe and opie... i am interested in trying out the updated gpe...
 Top of the page
Hippik
Hippik Page Icon Posted 2007-11-13 9:25 AM
#
Hey guys,
i have installed the icewm image on my jornada 728. It seems to work well, but only the pcmcia card XI-325 won't work at all. Linux sees it correctly but as an unsupported card. Any other workaround?
I tried adding the lines to orinoco.conf and modules conf, but still no luck.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 2:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well got bored once again... updated the old icewm image yet again, though probably for the last time. Loads of new features, new apps, new look yadda yadda yadda. As always make sure to read the README.TXT for changes, bugs and whatnot.

http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/j720/icewm720/

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 12:15 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

awesome! i was just checking out the updated gpe and still prefered the icewm (dunno if its me but it seems much faster in opening apps and over all preformance)... but theres three items i really like on the gpe... the mouse application (where you get to choose which kind of 'click' to use), the paint application (i just checked the two README's and it looks like they might be the same now ), and i prefer the wifi gui in gpe (dunno if i'm crazy but i feel like it works much better). i'll check it out probably later today.

thanks again tho... i highly appreciate

Edited by Qkall 2007-11-21 12:19 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-21 5:25 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Hate to make y'all download again, but there were too many bugs left for me to be happy. Uploaded final build, but with a pleasant surprise added. This image now allows you to use icewm or matchbox/gpe. They are both included, the bad icons/links in matchbox are fixed and some other quirks were worked out. I also reverted back to the old 2.4.34 kernel. The bluetooth 2.4.34 kernel was making my lcd randomly blast full brightness, so i reverted back and the issue has gone away.

Refresh the webpage and the readme as to notice the changes.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-23 1:54 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Bah! Zinc yahoo chat was outdated as yahoo changed to a captcha system to log in. Updated zinc, and now when it logs in you'll see the captcha url. Just type /openurl in zinc and dillo opens to the captcha page, type in the correct numbers/letters and close dillo. Dillo will make a mess of zincs terminal, so just fullscreen zinc to refresh the terminal.

Also took a wallpaper i got from the hpc desktop section here and added it to matchbox/gpe and made some minor fixes in matchbox. It looks like this.....

Matchbox does NOT boot into this theme by default. If you like it just run 'matchbox-remote -t Default' from a terminal after matchbox is already running.

I know i've said this before, but this is now THE final release for this userland as my time has become very limited the last few months and will be for some time. Now that this includes both IceWM and Matchbox/GPE its less for me to maintain, and better for you all.

Same url as always.... http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/j720/icewm720/

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-11-23 1:56 AM
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 3:07 PM
#
Hi,

thank you a lot for your prebuilt images!!! It is a great work, a very great one. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
I spent the last couple of days trying to bring jlime mongo and 720degrees up and running on my jornada 728, which partly succeded, but which let me with severe annoying bugs related either to pcmcia-wifi card (jlime 2.6.19rc6 and opie: after being recognized, it was impossible to work without the card pluged in the jornada unless I became an issue "can't find root="; 720degrees: impossible to make wifi recognized at boot, which didn't enable me to install sarge; i only have wifi support at this time, it would have been probably not a problem with lan), or to some utilities (jlime: update/upgrade utility, issuing in no abiword, no pdfviewer, no wifi-radar and the like, which are essential needs for me; jlime: impossible to install latest testing mongos, which broke somewhere between mounting hda2 and pcmcia-wifi card).
Just a question, however: your last image joining gpe and icewm seems to be broken. I have downloaded it (took a lot of time, say about 30 Min.), but at the end of the download, it was impossible to open it properly. Would you like to check this issue, and to update your server? I would be glad to test your image.
Thanks a lot for providing me and others such solution for the jornadas 7xx. Keep up the good work.
AL
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 5:07 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hi RTFM!
How exciting! a combined image!
Am having same problem as al did downloading (extremely slow 36Kb/s - normal for me is several hundred - server problem?) Do you have an MD5 we can use to see if the download matches?

Can you seriously run FIREFOX on the J720? or is that only for the 728's?
B
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 5:34 PM
#
I have just tried firefox, and it runs pretty good on my jornada 728; how can you install the plugins for videos?
cheers
al
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 7:21 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

bvjones, yeah firefox works pretty well on 720... i mean its a bit slow... but it works well... an additional swap usually speeds it up a bit...

al, i've been recently trying to mess with flash 7 for linux to install.. i haven't really messed too much with it.. but i can't seem to find the right directory... flash 9 requires much more ram and processor speed then the j7**... as for like plugins for mplayer and such.. i haven't tried.. but i can assure you they'd probably be incredibly slow if they did work.. i would suggest just downloading the video

or
http://file2hd.com (you can even download youtube videos.. now all we need is swf support)
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10