x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Frozen
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 7:52 PM
#
Thanks a lot Qkall, downloading the videos works like a charm. Last little issue: keymap. Is there a way to get european keymaps (as f.ex.: de, fr, fr_CH-latin1 etc.) by downloading them from another linux distro, and modifying them?
yours
al
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 8:25 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Hey again.
Will have to test out the Firefox. I have Opera Mini installed on my Treo 650 and it is AMAZING - has anybody tried porting whatever they do to "shrink" all the html into one of these low-ram Linux versions?

RTFM, My download also took about 30+ minutes, and I was unable to untar it. Here's the message I got from terminal.

tar -xf 7xx-rootfs.tar.tar bzip2: Data integrity error when decompressing. Input file - (stdin), output file = (stdout) It is possible that the compressed file(s) have become corrupted. You can use the -tvv option to test integrity of such files. You can use the 'bzip2recover' program to attempt to recover data from undamaged sections of corrupted files. tar: Unexpected EOF in archive tar: Unexpected EOF in archive tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

Hope we can get the image downloadable soon: I'm really salivating over it
B

(Edit PS - Another thing I just noticed: The file 7xx-rootfs.tar.tar (which is about 65MB) untars only to ext2.tar.bz (which shows as 25 MB). There is no fat16.tar.bz2. And the ext2.. also gets an error message when I untar it - although all the folders seem to be there. Hope that helps when you are fixing up.)

Edited by bvjones 2007-11-24 9:19 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 9:33 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Uploading new image now ( 8:31pm CST). Wait 20 minutes before downloading it.

md5sum is: 751e47b5f47f046d88bf50e20084beeb 7xx-rootfs.tar.bz2

I went through my ftp log, seems my last upload got disconnected and auto resumed. I'm guessing thats what caused the issue.

You can change keys maps, so long as they are for a 2.4 kernel as 2.6 kernel keymaps are different.

I'll check back in a few hours, let me know if this uploaded worked out for you all.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
internetcz
internetcz Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 10:04 PM
#
Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /~wicked74/j720/icewm720/7xx-rootfs.tar.bz2 on this server.

Waiting yet.

Thanks
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 10:13 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Me too!

NO! WAIT! NOW IT DOWNLOADS! Decent speed too. Will report back soon...

This must be my fourth edit... Speed is still VERY slow. Probably why we had to wait so much longer than 20 minutes, too.
B

Edited by bvjones 2007-11-24 10:27 PM
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-24 11:22 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Sorry - I downloaded again (at 27Kb/s ) and got the same error when untarring. Same result of only the ext.* file, and when I untarred that, I got essentially the same "unexpected EOF" message as with the big 7xx image, but two additional bits of info:
bzip2: Compressed file ends unexpectedly; perhaps it is corrupted? *Possible* reason follows. bzip2: Inappropriate ioctl for device Input file = (stdin), output file = (stdout)

I am wondering if something is going wrong with your server, since it is so painfully slow, causing it to scramble your up/downloads?
Good luck! I'll check again in the 'morrow!
B
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 1:30 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmm, well lets try this again. I repacked the tar.bz2, then extracted it locally. So i know that is fine. Reuploaded with a renamed j720-rootfs.tar.bz2 just in case the server wasnt fully deleting the old rootfs before i started uploading the new one. Maybe they overlapped somehow. I hope this now solves that issue. The download speed i cant do anything about. Its a free webhost, and ya get what you pay for. It use to be faster, but i think they recently throttled my website because it does generate quite a bit of traffic.

If this server still has issues, i'll just upload to my other webhost thats currently hosting the old GPE userland tomorrow after i get home from work. (6pm CST roughly)

Cheers.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 5:17 AM
#
yup, it seems to download and extract well now. I am waiting for a 2GB UltraII CF, and when I'll get it, I return back to you in order to deliver my first impressions.
yours
al
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 12:50 PM
#
... a really nice thing would be to have smbfs/smbmount; I can't get it installed from ipkg repositories. Would it be difficult to implement it in the jornada?
yours,
al
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 2:40 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Well, it's up and running!
Now to find my way around the userlands...
One note on unzipping: I kept getting messages while untarring the FAT parts. If I tried to untar directly in the CF partition, it told me it couldn't change the uid to 1000 and "failed" to untar the file (although the files all appeared fine). I untarred into a folder on my main computer with no trouble, but got the following string of errors copying them onto the partition.
Copying /root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/initrd-2.4.34.gz as /mnt/sdc1/initrd-2.4.34.gz cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/sdc1/initrd-2.4.34.gz': Operation not permitted Failed to copy '/root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/initrd-2.4.34.gz' Copying /root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/linexec.exe as /mnt/sdc1/linexec.exe cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/sdc1/linexec.exe': Operation not permitted Failed to copy '/root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/linexec.exe' Copying /root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/params.txt as /mnt/sdc1/params.txt cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/sdc1/params.txt': Operation not permitted Failed to copy '/root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/params.txt' Copying /root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/vmlinuz-2.4.34-j720-1 as /mnt/sdc1/vmlinuz-2.4.34-j720-1 cp: failed to preserve ownership for `/mnt/sdc1/vmlinuz-2.4.34-j720-1': Operation not permitted Failed to copy '/root/my-documents/rtfm/fat16/vmlinuz-2.4.34-j720-1' Done There were 4 errors.

Any idea what is causing this? I was working in Puppy (3.01), which I believe defaults to root user - I never even have to log on.
As I said, I do have it up and running and will give more opinions after some testing.
Thanks so much for your work. I might just be able to USE this thing now!
B
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You can ignore those errors. They are just the files on that fat16 partition, which in all actuality have no 'permissions'.

Al, i'll look into it, and if its not too much work i'll make a seperate package of it.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 3:53 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

since hpcfactor has been soo very nice to me... i'll upload the tar ball to my webspace... i should have much more speed compared to the free server... ignore the web address (its a long story)... i'll edit this post when i'm done uploading..
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 6:04 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

as promised (i couldn't edit my old post)

http://www.mimerape.org/j720-rootfs.tar.bz2
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 7:56 PM
#
Thank you RTFM, it would be a very useful improvement. Ich googled around in order to find informations about smbmount/smbfs; it seems that an ipkg packet were built sometimes ago, but I didn't find it.

Another question: I was messing up with the taskbar producing a lot of unuseful icons; how can I supress them (I didn't find the related place in the tree and related gpe folders)?

The system is really nice and reliable. I shall try icewm soon in order to give a feed back in the forum.

See you soon,

yours

al
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 8:32 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Qkall, - that's gotta be an interesting story.
al - the IceWM home page has a good bit of information that might help you tweak (alot of it went over my head but sounds like you're more of a power-user). Good luck!
B
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.238 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 28