x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... Next »
Frozen
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-25 8:54 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You can remove matchbox/gpe taskbar icons by holding the stylus on the taskbar for a few seconds, then an add/remove menu pops up allowing you to add or remove shortcuts. Thats taskbar only. To add shortcuts to the desktop folders the shortcut settings are in /usr/share/alternatives.

For Icewm, you can add menu shortcuts from /usr/share/icewm/menu. The desktop icons are a bit more tricky, but are handled by rox-filer. Probably best to go to its website for proper documentation as it would take me forever to explain it, and i pretty much had to force install it to make it work in the first place.

Qkall, thanks for the added download mirror.

I'm sure the image still has a few bugs, but i havent run into anything major yet. I do prefer the look of matchbox/gpe with its nice panel applets for wifi, battery etc, but it is quite a bit slower than icewm as icewm is quite a bit smaller and better on resources. One bug i found is that firefox doesnt seem to run in matchbox/gpe, but works fine in icewm. Anyway, the README pretty much has the basics you need to know. Feel free to post any other bug/issues so that i make note of them, however they probably wont get fixed anytime soon. Between job and life, the holidays nearing and working on mongo i just dont have time.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-11-26 3:18 AM
#
RTFM, thanks a lot for your help, it works very well with the taskbar.

Firefox runs fine in gpe prebuilt here (j728), even if you have to wait a bit in order for the pages to be loaded, but you can surf quite well in my opinion. I noticed that you have created a swap file (32mb) integrated in the prebuilt; is it enough, or do we have to create another one on the cf-card?

Here a little list of some issues I encounter with the gpe prebuilt (gpe only tar.bz2):

PIM - contact: it says 'no such table: contacts' but lounches contact though;
PIM - time tracker: it says 'no such table: task' and ends up;
PIM - to-do list: it says 'no such table: todo_dbinfo' but lounches to-do list;
UTILITIES - File Manager: I find it not so practicable; why not konqueror instead (as in opie)?
UTILITIES - GPS Drive: I find it not useful;
UTILITIES - PANEL: Aerial: what is it for? it doesn't seem to work here (click on the icon, but nothing happens);
UTILITIES - Plucker: I don't know what is it for, but it seems to work;
UTILITIES - Text Editor: mmmh, doesn't work with my txt files: 'invalid byte sequence in conversion input'; I am using nano right now;
NETWORK - Zinc: it seems to work, but what is it for?
NETWORK - Mini Browser: not so useful, and it doesn't support complexe java scripts (crashes); I would be happy with 'only' dillo (or links which is in the repos) and firefox;
SETTINGS - Package Manager: since I pick up and install my packages from the command line, I don't find it very useful; it is quiet heavy, too; and you have almost all needed application in your prebuilt already
SETTINGS - Date/Time Setup: it seems not to be able to keep my time, even if I want it not to synchronize with the internet;
RUN BOX - I find it not so useful since you have aterm and xterms;
Keyboard - with en_GB.qwerty: yellow and blue keys don't seem to work; the 'del' key doesn't do anything;

Things I miss: besides smbmount/smbfs, skype would be great (maybe to heavy, however), limited bash history, too, and, and, and, maybe the most important of all features: keyboard de, fr, fr_CH-latin1, se, sp, and so on with full functional keys; unfortunately, I am not a programmer, otherwise I would have been glad to be able to contribute on this point.

Next challenge: I have to experiment without x in order to see if I can check my emails, surf and ssh, what should not be a problem.

Anyway, a great job. I am already very excited to try icewm. I'll be back in some days (I have to travel for job with my j728 and your prebuilt), and I'll give you my feedback.

Thanks again and see you soon,

al
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-27 6:39 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Keymap guru i am not. Anybody can easily add and or modify keymaps for their language. Use 'showkey' and edit or make a keymap. Skype has no linux arm version, so that will not be an option. Surfing in console is possible with links, email with pine or mutt, and ssh is enabled at boot. Date and time setting works, but like the popup says, you need to log out of X and restart X for it to take effect.

Anyway, uploaded FINAL build. If somebody wants to take what i started and continue to add to it be my guest. I just dont have time. Now this latest and last upload contains Minimo which will help the 710/720 users as it renders like firefox, handles ssl and jscript etc etc, starts faster and browses at a decent speed. Fixed a few icons/shortcuts, fixed torsmo sys monitor, added a few things etc etc. Recommend using icewm over matchbox as its faster and more reliable.

Qkall, if you could update your mirror.

Notice all those nice browsers?

As always find it here: http://freeshells.ch/~wicked74/j720/icewm720/ README.TXT also updated.

Cheers.

Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-27 10:39 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Famous last words....
I'll continue keeping an eye out on the JLime site...
Thanks for all the labor and care you've gone to thus far.
B
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 12:28 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 8:18 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

RTFM et al:
I am attaching a rtf doc you can use for your readme file: if custom requires that it be plain text I'll take the tables back out. I was attempting to consolidate your responses, and also make the list of programs easier for ME to follow . If there is a way to get a text dump of this thread and any of the others where you've tended to answer all of our questions, I would be happy to consolidate further, and you or PS or somebody can sticky it somewhere as well as post it on your freeshells site.
I would also be glad to help out consolidating other threads and related materials for JLime if somebody can get them to me all in one piece for editing. I am pretty hopeless as a Linux user, still, but am quite good at creating organized and readable text. It could be my contribution to open source !Just shoot me a direct email if somebody's interested.

Attachments
----------------
Attachments RTFMsPrebuilt.rtf (96KB - 9 downloads)
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-11-28 9:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Cool thanks. I guess if you have time, you could go through this entire thread and copy/paste all the important questions and answers to a text editor, then go through and clean it up, then work your magic on it. It would be nice, and eliminate the headache for other people of not having to read this entire thread.

Do whatever you feel necessary. For general compatibility how about making it as html? Then you could still have tables, toss in images etc etc. Kind of like the 900c installation tutorial. Whichever you decide is fine by me. Any help is appreciated.

Cheers
 Top of the page
GHAB
GHAB Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 2:31 AM
#
I am going crazy...

Could someone explain me, how to get for example German letters to write one IceWM (to type in specific characters)? I am a new to linux, would be really glad if someone help...
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 9:02 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

The answer, as much as we have, was just a few posts above yours, on the same page:
Anybody can easily add and or modify keymaps for their language. Use 'showkey' and edit or make a keymap.

Unfortunately I am almost as newbie as you, so you'll just have to google "showkey linux" to see how that works.
Good luck! B

Edited by bvjones 2007-11-30 9:04 AM
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-11-30 9:52 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

man the new minimo is awesome... the old version i use to use... but it didn't really like the rendering... but this new one man...
 Top of the page
MC man
MC man Page Icon Posted 2007-12-03 4:30 AM
#
The same problem with keys. I am newbie to linux, but I have already found out keymaps. Tried to use Desktop PC's keymap (I need Latvian keys), but when I type loadkeys /media/cf/lv-latin4.kmap and go to the console by pressing Ctrl+Alt+del, all the letters (Latvian) are incorrect - like unknown symbols.

Then I found out, that jornada has different key codes. Ok, I changed them to proper. But the stupid symbols are still there.

Tried 2 type of keymaps from Desktops: ISO-8859-4 and ISO-8859-13. Result is the same.

Maybe some GURU can help?!
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-03 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Qkall: yeah the rebuilt minimo is quite a bit nicer. (which reminds me i need to update that package in jlimes feed)

MC man: You must use a 2.4 kernel keymap. 2.6 kernel keymaps are handled differently and wont work correctly. You could try this international keymap from here: http://www.lowlevel.cz/log/files/boottime.kmap.gz and modify it to your liking.

For those who havent read this entire thread... this began as my own personal project for myself. As it became usable i decided awhile back to package it up and share with all of you. Over time i had some software requests and i did add things i found useable. Also, WWE (world wide english) is my native tongue, and is the most widely used keymapping, so naturally thats why its all in english.

Hope y'all enjoy it as much as i do, and time permitting i may be able to build, package and upload select package requests, but dont count on it.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
MC man
MC man Page Icon Posted 2007-12-05 2:36 AM
#
What shoud I chance in this keymap???
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 3:42 AM
#
Hi all, I am back. It was a nice trip with the jornada, and a great pleasure to see it working without any trouble. I tried to download the last image (j720-rootfs-11*.bz2), but I can't open it without issues (I tried both tar and ark and got errors). I found a German keymap for the j720 and I shall try it now in order to report here if it works. So, see you soon.
al
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-07 4:09 AM
#
Hi,
you can find the german keymap here

http://www.wanda25.de/jornada-keymap.html

download the file and copy it somewhere (/etc for example); open a term, and write

loadkeys /whereismyfile/de-german.map.gz

log out and log in back, and it works.

al
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 15