x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
Frozen
Macros746 Page Icon Posted 2007-12-13 1:16 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

thanks for the kudos bvjones. So that I've successfully loaded Linux onto my Jornada I have a few questions.
I've tried using both Icevm and Matchbox. They both seem reasonably self-explanatory...but I can't seem to get online
It seems I've gotten closer with Icevm. i boot up the wifi radar and it recognizes the available netowrks.
So it appears that my Orinoco card is working okay. But when I click connect it says that it connects and and
IP appears...but it looks wrong to me....it's like 10.0.1.44 or something like that. And I can't get onto the internet using any of the
browsers. Is there something I'm doing wrong? I'm SO close.....

Thanks in advance all. This is an amazing achievement.....that's for putting so much work into this for all of us frustrated Jornada
owners.

Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-13 3:08 AM
#
Hi Macros,

in tree steps: a) go to the panel enabling you to configure the network, and choose eth0 as wireless device; b) choose the wifi option and hit 'configure'; give your essid, choose 'managed' for the mode, and 'auto' for the channel, and give your wep key if any; c) hit ok, it should work; if not, pull out your wifi-card, and push it in the jornada again.

good luck!
al
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-14 11:46 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Al,
did you ever get AbiWord working? Just had time to test for myself, using a .doc file I saved in Word 2007 (you have to TELL it to save as .doc), and an RTF file. Both opened just fine, although the .doc is a bit slow. Not surprising since it's much larger and has a bit more formatting.
I was wondering if you had tried the old trick of re-downloading and re-installing, in case there was a glitch in the download/install process?

RTFM, Do you have a complete list of which preinstalled programs work - or perhaps more easy to list - which ones DON'T work under IceWM or Matchbox? I wouldn't even know how to test some of them (too inexperienced) but am aware that there are more "buggy" apps and just plain duds in amongst the good stuff than what's in the readme file. The recent discussion of pdf readers is a case in point.

I hit a browser snag while using Matchbox: Minimo wouldn't load at all (got a perpetual "busy" mouse icon), GPE-Mini loaded but the text was rendering in white on white (so it seemed), Firefox is WAY too big for my 720 to handle, and... well, I don't much care for Dillo. That's what got me thinking about a list. Now that I'm on Christmas break, I'll have time to work on that extended Readme, FAQ or whatever we wind up calling it.

BTW, all of the browsers seem to be working fine in IceWM. Unfortunately I still have a little trouble with the stylus calibration for some reason. It's useable, though.

Thanks for any help.
B
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-15 12:33 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah, same here. Abiword still works fine for me also. Havent been able to reproduce Al's bug/crash at all yet.

In my readme on the download page i noted in bugs section that firefox/minimo didnt start in matchbox.

Gpe-mini only has that issue in matchbox also. All you have to do is tap the url box title bar with the stylus for it to gain focus to see the text in the url box. Weird.

I really dont suggest using matchbox at all in the combo image.. it has odd issues with too many apps and i have no idea why as my older gpe only image works fine, and i used the same files. Icewm is really the better choice as thats really what i focused this image on.

Bummer about your stylus. However if you use icewm you really dont need the stylus for much. Learn the keyboard shortcuts and you'll almost never need it. The common ones are in the readme also. Like alt+f4 to close an app, alt+f10 to maximize, alt+f9 to minimize etc etc.

Other than gpdf not working properly everything else should work just fine. I use 95% of what i preinstalled almost daily and havent found any other non working applications. But again, if you should find 1 or 2 let me know so i can look into it, but not too much..Mongo is the future and thats where i should be focusing my time.

Cheers
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-15 12:09 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Thanks! Knew I should've double-checked that Readme...

How would you rate the functionality of all the Mongo features to-date, compared to your prebuilt? Looking at it from a Linux newbie's perspective.

B

Edited by bvjones 2007-12-15 12:21 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-15 3:47 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, since i built the mongo userlands and packages i would say mongo is better in the way of newer releases of apps, the pdf viewers actually work, the 2.6 kernel boots faster and has better framebuffer driver ( no pink text and faster scrolling ) gcc and dev tools work amongst other things. The drawback is jlime doesnt want me to 'overload' the base image to keep things small for use with a wide range of CF card sizes, so its not an 'all in one' kind of thing like my prebuilt is. Other than sound not working in the 2.6 kernel mongo is really the way to go, but until then my prebuilt is probably easier for newbies to use.

I'll also upload 1 last image tonight or tomorrow with pdf2text installed and some small fixes...

Cheers.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-15 10:17 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok then... last bug fix release uploaded. Changes include: added pdftohtml/pdftotext and removed non working gpdf. Added dosbox dos emulator ( though a bit big for the screen). Added tcl/tk 8.4. Removed xournal ( didnt work ). Fixed torsmo system monitor to display with black text as the white text seemed to display light blue. Removed minimo and firefox icons from matchbox to prevent users from trying to use them while in matchbox. This is my last update and after further testing it should be 97% bug free.

Download from same website as usual. Refresh your browser to update the readme.

Edit: also updated to jlimes jlinexec.exe as its better code than the old linexec.exe and eliminates the red line during boot.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-12-15 10:18 PM
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-16 9:31 AM
#
Hi all, I am back again.

The bug with abiword is persistent. In order to test it: do not create a document under abiword with your jornada, but just create one with open office (f.ex.) in your main computer, and then export it (cp on the cf, or ftp) to your jornada (i.e. to your cf). Open it with abiword, and please report your result. These are the conditions of my tests. At the moment, I am forced to use Jlime, which is not too bad, but not so complete as your prebuilt, RTFM (sound is for me a big issue, almost as big as the bug with abiword). Another thing which I found useful with Jlime (mongo) is the bash history; would it be possible to implement it in the prebuilt?

Sorry for my late again, I was in Italy for job, and it was impossible to get a connection with the net until today

See you very soon,

al
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-12-16 11:26 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-12-16 6:18 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Ah! I don't have Open Office. Do you use some form of Linux on your desktop, too? If so, maybe you could install AbiWord there, and copy your files from it instead of OO? Or perhaps try saving documents as RTF? Just some things to try...
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-12-16 9:41 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

dunno if this helps.. but openoffice can work on windows.. i have it on my winxp computer... actually prefer it over microsoft office.
 Top of the page
al
al Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 3:27 AM
#
Hi, thanks to both. Yes, I am a Debian (etch) user. The problem is that I have lots of files already saved in doc format, so that it is rather time consuming to reopen them all with abiword in order to save them again in another format.

The bug I underline was reported in some pages over the Internet as I found it out of google, so it is a bug persisting with old versions of abiword. My question is the following one: would it be possible to update the version of abiword in the prebuilt? I know what it means, i.e. updating libraries which abiword depend on, and thus for this reason, it could be not possible. But if it could be possible, it would be very great

Thanks again and see you soon,

al
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 9:37 AM
#
H/PC Elite

If you feel like experimenting try this...

ipkg remove abiword

Then try to force install jlime's abiword-embedded

ipkg install http://mongo.jlime.com/feed/x11/abiword-embedded_2.4.6-r2_arm.ipk -nodeps

The -nodeps switch will allow an app to install while ignoring dependancies, basically 'forcing' it to install. If i remember correctly abiword-embedded is a static binary anyway so there is a good chance it will work. Good luck.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
MC man
MC man Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 12:45 PM
#
rtfm - so we can use jlime feed also to install any apps from it?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-12-17 2:18 PM
#
H/PC Elite

No, not really. A few select things 'might' work, but i dont recommend adding the jlime feed to ipkg.conf as an ipkg update/upgrade will then break your system as it will try to update libc and hose your entire system. You can try to manually add programs like i described above, granted you also install all the dependancies, but i've already added the few apps that work, like fbreader, rox-filer etc.

So again, i wouldnt recommend it unless you know exactly what you are doing.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-12-17 2:18 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.253 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11