x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next »
Frozen
Guy_lesage Page Icon Posted 2008-02-25 12:31 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hello, i am trying to complet the image install from above and i am getting the follwing error. " cant access tty:job control turned off. amd it wont continue install. can any one help ?
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2008-02-25 11:12 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Can you be more specific about where, exactly, in the install process this message occured? Were you booting from the CF?

A quick google search turned up several different problems and solutions, all related to standard PC or Live CD installs that somehow went awry. I'm quite a Linux noob myself, but I would wager that perhaps you might have
(1) missed a step in the install instructions (e.g. did you clean-format your two partitions as FAT and EXT2? extract the right files to the right partitions?)
(2) didn't get a good clean download
(3) perhaps have a hardware problem with the CF (not too likely)

Hopefully one of our more experienced users can give better advice.
B
 Top of the page
Guy_lesage Page Icon Posted 2008-02-27 10:22 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hello, thankyou for your reply. i doubled checked your suggestions. all seems ok.
the cf card was formated and the image installed using a system with ubuntu installed on it. the card was formated using gparted.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2008-02-27 8:20 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Yep, sounds fine. Here's hoping somebody figures it out. You could also visit the JLime forums and see if there is any useful info there. RTFM spends more time there these days, anyway .
 Top of the page
Guy_lesage Page Icon Posted 2008-02-28 2:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

sorry guys.im giving up. been trying to install this linux thing and NO go..now it just hangs and says : unable to open initial console. it all sounds wonderful but i htink its not for a novice like me. il stick to my HTC6800 for now...anyone want a J720? lol
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-02-28 10:01 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Dont give up just yet. I suspect the problem is gparted. Seems alot of people have had bad luck using GUI partition/format tools. I recommend doing it by command line. This thread is veryyyyy long, but if you glance through it you'll see many users who had similar problems until ditching the GUI partition apps.

I'd recommend using this guide --> http://devfiles.jlime.com/900c_Henchman_1.0.0-Testing/LinuxonMobilepro900.htm . Yes its for the mobile pro 900c, but the basics are there with pictures on doing everything from the console. Just replace the files mentioned in the tutorial with the files for the jornada linux image.

Most important of all, make sure you are root user for everything ( paritioning, formatting and extracting the userland ).

Cheers.
 Top of the page
Guy_lesage Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 11:36 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

tried as above. hangs with a message asking to press ctl-d to continue but no activity. thanks guys for your time.i appreciate the effort but im selling this thing...maybe there is a way to update the ce on it...
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 12:20 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

wait... you said your using ubuntu... you know you don't really have root access on that.... persay... you have to use
#sudo
for every command.... personally thats a pain in the sphincter (currently using ubuntu) and would just use a puppy live disk.
 Top of the page
Guy_lesage Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 3:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

fsck failed. please repaire manually and reboot. please note that root file system is currently mounted read-only to remount it read-write
3 mount-n -o remount,rw /
control-d will exit from this shell and reboot the system

press entre for maintenance or type ctrl-d to continue

BUT nothing hapends....wow...
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 7:50 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

You lost me on that last one . Bet it makes sense to the "oldtimers" tho.

Did you get those messages AFTER recreating the disks running a linux OS as root? I agree that Puppy is the easiest way to accomplish that, booting from CD (the standard way Puppy boots )
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-02-29 7:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

That shouldnt happen. I have fsck disabled by default in the linux image because of the way linux doesnt fully reboot on the jornada with 2.4 kernel. That being said, and as much as i hate to say it, i'm going to have to say you are doing something wrong. Hundreds of people have had no such problem.

Start fresh. Partition the cf card again, format the cf card again, extract the files/userland over as ROOT user ( very important ). Dont just copy everything over stuff thats already on the cf card. That causes major issues.

And no, there is no way to upgrade CE on a jornada, hence people porting linux to it to have updated software and OS. It is a great machine however. Dont give up yet. Just make sure you are doing everything correctly, and it will work.

Cheers.

[EDIT] Ubuntu as mentioned above is crap for this sort of thing. Try a live linux cd like puppy linux or dsl or knoppix or anything but ubuntu.

Edited by RTFM 2008-02-29 8:01 PM
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2008-03-01 4:46 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Poor ubuntu. But it's so PRETTY!
BTW, I've used gparted in Puppy, and it has worked just fine for this task. NTFS partitions are a bit iffy, however...
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-04-01 11:53 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Ok, i lied yet again..

After giving much time to mongo, building new packages, userland etc, i came up with new ideas and fixes for this image yet again. There are MANY improvements such as minimo theme using non vga icons so the url bar doesnt take up 1/5 the screen. Added brightness and contrast applets. Added to-do list and time tracker programs. Fixed torsmo so that it doesnt disappear/flicker on and off the screen randomly. Changed the menu layout. Added nifty wallpaper. Fixed rox-filer ( file manager and icon handler ) so that it displays thumbnails of images and mimetypes, added extra fonts for abiword, etc etc.

I hope to have it finished some time this week. Keep your eyes peeled. It will be worth it.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2008-04-02 12:48 AM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Teaser screenshots....

Top of the page
j-d Page Icon Posted 2008-04-02 12:53 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Sounds quite sweet.

Thanks for maintaining this project, by the way. I can't get Jlime to work because it's on the 2.6 kernel and I have a cheap Micro Center-branded CF card, which bugs out at boot. The only reason I can use my Jornada to any meaningful degree is because of these images.
 Top of the page
« Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.266 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12