x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Frozen
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 6:04 AM
#
I'm using the JLime opie base image for 720 at the moment with a new 2.6 kernel... A question to anyone who has used RTFM's image - how well does Opera compare to Konqueror (both mini versions)? I appreciate that it will be slower on the older 2.4 and early 2.6 kernels but in terms of usability/web page compatability/performance of the 640x240 screen and so on...
 Top of the page
mboldisc
mboldisc Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 10:00 AM
#
I bought an Encore ENP832-TX-PC PCMCIA Network Adapter. It's based on the Realtek chip you mentioned. It's a 32-bit Ethernet adapter. Will this card not work?

http://www.macmall.com/macmall/shop/detail.asp?dpno=7217740&Redir=1&description=Encore%20Electronics-32-Bit%20Card%2010/100%20AUTO%20NEG%20Ethernet%20Card-Wireless%20Networking

Do you have a separate Jornada image you use to compile kernels and drivers? I noticed there aren't any gcc tools in the posted versions. I have tried emulating the using Qemu-arm on my Linux distro (since I don't have network capability yet), with no success. Do you have any tips for Jornada Linux developers?

Thanks a bunch!

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 2:09 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

He said it was better...

mboldidc: If you want to develop, you might as well use 720degrees for its Debian base.

RTFM: Your microdrive died on you? Heh! I think you just happen to be the unluckiest person out there with those things. I still haven't had a single problem.

Get a CF.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2007-04-03 2:11 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 2:59 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Your ethernet card wont work. It needs to be 16bit, the jornada doesn't support 32bit.

As for gcc run ipkg install gcc. (but its minimal, not a complete toolset ). Although like PS said, use 720degrees for developing. I use a crosscompiler on my desktop and 720degrees to build various things.

PS: Yeah unfortunately
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 4:02 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Well, for the people who like X over Opie, i've been severely overhauling my gpe image. Again, started from scratch, removed stuff, added stuff etc etc. It's not quite done yet, as i need to test out a few more things and add finishing touches. So when its ready i'll let you all know. Might be a few days yet, maybe weeks. Depends when i'm happy with it.

In the meantime, here are a few teaser screenshots.

(yes thats firefox)

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 1:31 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Wow.

Truly impressive... did you make that theme yourself?

I can see a lot of people being drawn to that from the screenshots alone...
 Top of the page
mik82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 2:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hiya
I'm not a linux user so forgive me for being stupid.
I installed ubuntu a while ago so I tried following the instructions to get linux on my jornada 710. I partitioned and formatted the CF card as desctibed - a fat16 and an ext2 partition. I set the fat16 as "boot". I then extracted the tarball to my desktop and copied the fat files to the fat partition and the ext to the ext2 partition. I changed the params to correspond to 32m. On running linexec the screen blanks and then messages start scrolling. I'm getting error messages such as

cardmgr[14]: could no open /var/run/cardmgr.pid: no such file or directory

it then stops at

VFS: busy inodes on changed media

I'm sure i've made an elementary mistake somewhere.

cheers
Mike
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 4:10 PM
#
H/PC Elite

mik82: Actually you didnt. You found a mistake i made on this last upload. Apparently after clearing out some temp files i must have accidently deleted cardmgr.pid. I fixed it and reuploaded the image. It's only a few kb bigger now. Sorry for the inconvienience.

PS: No, its the mbcrystal theme for matchbox, but i went on a massive 'cool icon' hunt, and changed most the icons, added directories to the default desktop, and made matchbox place the panel to the left to allow for a bit more screen space.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 5:28 PM
#
H/PC Elder

RTFM: And I was troubleshooting with a user too.

Permissions get messed up if they extract and then copy over - it is easier just to extract directly.

Btw: The Jlime guys are onto something big - it looks like we might be able to get image files we just pop onto the FAT drive, and linexec boots off of that. Shh.
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 7:13 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

i'm the user! anyway i'm getting a kernel panic:

kernel panic : aiee, killing interrupt handler!
in interrupt handler - not synching

hopefully PS will help me when he comes back on... otherwise, what am i do to

oh... perhaps i have to redownload it all... just reread your post...

Edited by Qkall 2007-04-05 7:15 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 7:24 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Yea redownload it. Was my mistake on the last opie image upload. Doh!

Cheers
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-04-05 7:35 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

i'm just happy i can follow PS patient orders... i'm a visual guy and written instructions unless given to me step by step don't work... i blame the chemist in meh
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 12:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hahah... we all just suck it up and keep going.
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 2:10 AM
#
H/PC Elite

It didn't take as long as i thought. The new *bling bling* GPE image is now uploaded. If you dislike Opie, and want *alot* in a small package, this image is for you.
It's quite stable surprisingly, and well, it just plain looks cool. I also added quite a bit not available in the familiar package feed by either borrowing from debians arm repositories, or compiling them myself. So i guess in a way its a nifty hackjob of an OS. Anyway, as always read the README. It's there for a reason.

This my final release, i will not be updating this image in the future. (except maybe updating to 2.6 kernel when its finished)
Same goes for the opie image, might update that 1 more time yet, but jlime's 7xx release should be ready soon anyway.

Download site is here. http://hostwork.com/users/matt/j720/

Cheers.
 Top of the page
cppchriscpp
cppchriscpp Page Icon Posted 2007-04-06 11:17 AM
#
The new image looks awesome and a lot of fun to play with. My Microdrive should arrive soon at which point I shall play with it. I have one question though... where'd Opera go? Is it Opie-only? I don't see konq either... and I don't wanna be stuck with dillo again Firefox runs WAY too slowly for me, I don't think I can stand it even with swap... perhaps I'm wrong though.

Either way still looks like a fun image to play with, I might go to the Opie one for Opera... but hey either ay it's still cool

Love what you've done with this, it's a very useful thing.

Thanks for the work
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.313 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 29