x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Frozen
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 12:48 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

RTFM: You might want to include naim and weechat in your image.
 Top of the page
mik82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 4:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Well I finally managed to try both gpe and opie thanks to wrokon's detailed instructions for ubuntu. It doesn't help when I don't have a clue about "becoming root" or "permissions".. Anyway initial impressions of both were great. On my j720 I couldn't get firefox to run well but I was expecting that. Abiword seemed to run ok with the slight problem of it being oversized for the palmtop screen. In opie I was impressed with both konqueror and opera. They were both way faster than pie / netfront.

Thanks!
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 5:21 AM
#
H/PC Elite

PS: I see you have not read the readme.txt either Both naim and weechat are included in the gpe image.
Gaim fits the screen fine after accounts are set up, and set to autologin. Just the initial startup/setup screen is too big.

mik82: You can make abiword fit quite nicely. Just disable the useless stuff, like ruler, text formatting menu, etc, as all that stuff can be accessed from the menu. I'll admit after testing on a 720 and 728, firefox runs much better on a 728. The extra ram makes a huge difference. A swap file on a 720 (even a 728) helps a bit also.

Cheers.

Edited by RTFM 2007-04-09 5:33 AM
 Top of the page
mik82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 7:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

To be honest I just loaded up abiword and didn't really look at the options. I run textmaker on hpc2000 with all the toolbars hidden. I'm using the opie image for now as the web browsing is pretty good - running opera full screened with no scrollbars really transforms web use on the 720. It's also incredibly fast - enough to make browsing enjoyable rather than just a function that you use occasionally. The only problem is that both opera and konqueror won't open my university email site (https://email.swan.ac.uk). Konqueror quits with an error message "seg.." something while opera just doesn't load it. Seeing as that was one of the main uses ofthe 720 before I don't know whether to keep it running opie. Opie could also do with a decent word processor.

Anyway, if you want to use your 720 for browsing - get the opie image and use Opera!
 Top of the page
mik82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 7:13 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

To be honest I just loaded up abiword and didn't really look at the options. I run textmaker on hpc2000 with all the toolbars hidden. I'm using the opie image for now as the web browsing is pretty good - running opera full screened with no scrollbars really transforms web use on the 720. It's also incredibly fast - enough to make browsing enjoyable rather than just a function that you use occasionally. The only problem is that both opera and konqueror won't open my university email site (https://email.swan.ac.uk). Konqueror quits with an error message "seg.." something while opera just doesn't load it. Seeing as that was one of the main uses ofthe 720 before I don't know whether to keep it running opie. Opie could also do with a decent word processor.

Anyway, if you want to use your 720 for browsing - get the opie image and use Opera!
 Top of the page
mik82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 7:13 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

To be honest I just loaded up abiword and didn't really look at the options. I run textmaker on hpc2000 with all the toolbars hidden. I'm using the opie image for now as the web browsing is pretty good - running opera full screened with no scrollbars really transforms web use on the 720. It's also incredibly fast - enough to make browsing enjoyable rather than just a function that you use occasionally. The only problem is that both opera and konqueror won't open my university email site (https://email.swan.ac.uk). Konqueror quits with an error message "seg.." something while opera just doesn't load it. Seeing as that was one of the main uses ofthe 720 before I don't know whether to keep it running opie. Opie could also do with a decent word p
rocessor.

Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 7:38 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Yeah thats the downfall with 3-4 year old browsers. I dont believe opera 6 or the 2003 konq/e binary have much for ssl support. Some sites work, some dont. If ( BIG IF ) i can find the time,( as i'm currently in the process of converting an old laptop into an open embedded / cross compiling machine ), i may try to build the latest konq/e which would solve that. But again, once jlimes 7xx release hits, it will already have that, and i dont see the need to reinvent the wheel.

Abiword embedded is suppose to work in opie apparently, i just personally never used it enough to bother to include it. Maybe i'll go against my word and put some more time into the opie image in the future. It probably wont happen anytime soon though, as i have a prior commitment w/720degrees to lend a hand, and get a few things done for them.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 9:23 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

We all share in the end anyways.
 Top of the page
mik82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 12:35 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

These linux images have made me pretty optimistic for the future of my little jornada. I'm just hoping someone actually makes a batch of flashboards and we can do proper suspend etc.

The weird thing with the ssl is that pocket ie opens the site fine.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 5:44 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

RTFM - 2007-04-09 1:38 PM

But again, once jlimes 7xx release hits, it will already have that, and i dont see the need to reinvent the wheel.

i'm honest now, do not wait for jlime, i've been waiting for almost 2 years for them now. yes two years, since june 2005 or so.
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 8:33 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

<double post>

Edited by raul 2007-04-10 8:36 PM
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 8:34 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

I tried both opie and gpe image. I run linexec and it's booting for a while.
Then it shows such messages:
Trying to move old root to /initrd ... failed
Warning: unable to open initial console
Krenel panic: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel

Please help.

Kind regards,
Raul
PS. I copied files with root privileges in mc.

Edited by raul 2007-04-10 8:36 PM
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 12:06 AM
#
H/PC Elite

This seems all too common when something was missed. Make sure to format the partitions before extracting the files to them. ( mkdosfs /dev/blah mke2fs /dev/blah ). I'd start over and try again, as it *will* work if done right. Make sure fat partition is the first partition you make, then ext2 partition. Format them, then extract/copy the files over as root.

Hang in there. You'll get it to work.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
damien
damien Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 2:21 AM
#
hi RTFM, I tried to make the swap file but it gave me size is bigger than device error... any idea?

Does all the ikpg work? I tried installing bitchx but it hangs on me
sorry, i'm a linux newbie here..
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 3:12 AM
#
H/PC Elite

What size CF card are you using, and how much free space is left? Sounds like you are trying to make too big of a swap file.

Yeah, all the packages in the familiar feed should work. Worked for me, as thats where quite a few preinstalled apps came from. Maybe try another package like irssi ( better than bitchx anyway )

Cheers.
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 9