x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Prebuilt Jornada 7xx linux image

[Frozen]
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Frozen
damien
damien Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 5:39 AM
#
THanks for your prompt reply RTFM,

I have a 1GIG card, 10M for Fat , and the rest for Ext 2

Free space is about 700M left, I can only create up to 15mb of swap space, i wonder why...

Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 8:23 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Hmm. I'm assuming you're trying to use the opie swap create utility, as thats a bit quirky. Try this from konsole.

dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/swap bs=1024 count=32000
/sbin/mkswap /tmp/swap 32000
/sbin/swapon /tmp/swap

That will create about a 30 meg swapfile, and make it active. Change to 65000 for roughly 63 meg swap. Hope that helps.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 10:42 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Opie work (almost - many programs just don't run). GPE has "new" Kernel panic. But i'm trying.
 Top of the page
raul Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 11:57 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

GPE runs, don't know if anything except time/date and network works.
I can say one thing - it's just like new life for Jornada. Thanks RTFM
Even if it won't work as good as I would like it to it was worth seeing it with my own eyes.
 Top of the page
damien
damien Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 1:14 PM
#
The same error about not having enough space occur. I can only set count maximum to 15000

My partiions are only ext2 and fat 16, do i need another swap paritition?

I typed swapon /tmp/swap but it gave me an invalid command.

I tried 15000 anyway.. For some reason, the whole system is slower, especially accessing the package manager...

Top of the page
damienchua
damienchua Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 1:16 PM
#
I can't get xmms to run, anyone has luck in playing mp3s?

and is there any msn alternatives i can use besides connecting thru jabber n irc?
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-11 9:08 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

You guys are all trying to run software that runs only on the 728, unless if you give the 720 a significantly sized swapfile.

I made a script specifically for doing this, it is attached.
sh createswap

Ignore all kernel problems: They have nothing to do with RTFM's image, but the kernel itself. Post those issues elsewhere.

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2007-04-11 9:10 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments createswap (1KB - 30 downloads)
 Top of the page
damienchua
damienchua Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 1:54 AM
#
Thanks ProgramSyn!

Ok Looks like it created one 32M successfully

so i swapon /swap/swapfile right?

Anyway, is it true that ext3 is better than ext 2?
 Top of the page
Qkall Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 8:36 AM
#
Factorite (Senior)

ah i can answer this one! ext3 is considered better, but unless you have a microdrive it will just eat at your cf card, and it not recommended for cf drives. so if you have a microdrive yes, otherwise no.
 Top of the page
damien82
damien82 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 3:27 PM
#
Hi, I'm very happy everything works now.... xmms works now, probably due to more virtual mem...

I've another question, is it possible to access my windows shared folder? Like, thru samba or somthing?

Top of the page
yiha Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 4:18 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I first found RTFM official page before i found this forum so i wrote an email to him. But maybe someone of this forum can help me out so id like to post my email to here:

Hi their,
I recently discovered your beutifull page for the jornada. I recently reactivated my old mashine.
You page was a great help to get up to date. I allthough bought a Zcom XI-325 PCMCIA Wireless LAN PC Card for wifi. It works wonderfull in win ce.
But i tried your gpe version of linux which runs quite good but i cant get the wifi card to work .
I tried in the settings to take the orinoco_cs driver which is reported http://www.nabble.com/How-to-install-Familiar-on-a-Jornada-720-t2261557.html here to be working. Even made a conf file like advised their (maybe in the wrong dir?). I dont see a reason it shouldnt run since its having a prism chipset.
On some other site it is mentioned to use the hotstap driver, but it seems like its not implementet in your build.
Something weired ... when i first booted up gpe it didnt recognized any wifi card at all so i played around with different modules. Now when i boot up it takes the wavelan_cs driver and reports it as ready, but it ain got a mac add so i gues its broke. But weired that it now allways recognizes the card as wavelan_cs.
I hope i dont bother you with all this crap but i am crazy for gettin the wifi card to run on linux.
Maybe you have any ideas i could try out.

Would be cool if anyone from the forums good an idea or even have some experience with my wifi card. Maybe my gpe build isnt installed good? I tried ifconfig and it says it doesnt know the command?!
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-12 8:40 PM
#
H/PC Elder

If the driver does not load, that is a kernel related problem. If it does show up as used in lsmod, then iwconfig is what you want, not ifconfig.

Damien: The script sets up the swapfile to load on every boot. So you only need to run swapon /swap/swapfile the first time if you want it on then, or you can just reboot.

You can access samba through mc if it was compiled in (to the kernel and to mc).
 Top of the page
yiha Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 7:38 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Ok i made a try with opie now, but theires somthing weired at startup .... when it comes to the modules it gives a message on every module "is not owned by root"... maybe its perfectly normal ??
Well wifi card still wont work ... tried to load orinoco_cs manualy didnt work ... This drives me crazy since i know its possible
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 9:13 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Sorry for the lack of speed on my replies, i've been quite busy. I decided to join forces with Jlime, and i'm currently one of the people in charge of building and maintaining the opie packages and opie base for the upcoming Mongo release. Hopefully this will help speed up its release date as i know many people, including myself, have been waiting for it to become a reality on the jornada 7xx. I'm also working on building GPE desktop for 720degrees as well. So yea, i'm pretty busy.

What does this mean? It means i built these opie and gpe images because i was bored waiting, and decided to share them with all of you. Neither is meant to compete against jlime or 720degrees. It was just another 'option' for people to play with while waiting for the 2 other distros to tidy up and get things sorted out. That being said, if these work for you and your hardware, great. If not, theres not much i can do. Once the 2.4.34.1 kernel with the aironet wifi drivers statically built in is tested and sent my way, i will update both images. But thats as far as the updates will go. If whats installed doesnt suit your needs, install more packages via ipkg, or borrow .deb packages from debians arm repository and rename them as .ipk. Then figure out the dependancies and proper symlinks. Thats how i got a bunch of the preinstalled apps working that werent on the familiar feed.

Now that means since i'll be too busy to answer every question, please read through the linux forum threads here or over at 720degrees or jlime or even google. 99% of all questions and problems can be found and answered with a bit of searching, or actually reading an entire thread front to back. I also appreciate anybody who helps answer questions on this thread.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-13 7:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

yiha: You did not extract correctly, and were not root when you did the whole thing.

RTFM: Yeah, it is easier if you do it through the distros. We are used to answering the same exact questions over and over again. It would be nice if users actually read the forums and tutorials every once in a while, instead of just posting and waiting for one of us to spend our time to answer their question (which has been asked at least 15 times before).
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.265 - Cached queries : 47 - Executed queries : 30