x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

HPC burglar alarm alert???

Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 9:11 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

I know some of you wanted a new idea for a thread so I have been thinking. I have been watching the Discovery channel show “It Takes A Thief”, watching that show worries me about the security of my families homes, and I and thought it would be cool to link the HPC/Pager/Phone to a home security system. I know it would only work with Wifi or some other connection though. Then I thought what about an email warning so if you wanted to you could keep an eye on your house for less money than a full-fledged alarm/security company system. This may be a project for me if I have time. I also have a very small budget. I realize I would have to have a minimal alarm system though. Any thoughts would be great.
 Top of the page
exscentric Page Icon Posted 2005-03-23 9:44 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

x10.com has some different software for pc's relating to security/internet checking etc., maybe you could get some ideas.

We live in a high crime neighborhood and I have three security cameras up and running and most of the neighbors know I run a vcr a lot of the time :-) we have little problem. Everyone around has been hit, we did loose some MandM's from our car - methhead broke a window to clean us out. Real bright guy, I mean who in their right mind would break into an old Hyndai :-)

I have been looking for pc recording software that I could use instead of the vcr, but all of them take a ton and a half memory for a days recording. X10 has some software that takes time lapse type pics which might work, haven't spent the money as yet.
 Top of the page
vjurkas Page Icon Posted 2005-03-24 11:08 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Yoldering - 2005-03-24 3:11 AM

to link the HPC/Pager/Phone to a home security system. I know it would only work with Wifi or some other connection though. Then I thought what about an email warning so if you wanted to you could keep an eye on your house for less money than a full-fledged

Many commercial alarm systems are doing exactly as you described. Maybe another idea: if you have a cable or DSL connection there are many SOHO routers with USB port which allow for connecting a Web camera. For example, my Asus does. So, you can monitor your house through a Web browser. This is a more passive approach, of course, but combined with SMS (not that easy) or e-mail message (you need "always on" in your pocket) you can easily check whether it is about false alarm or not... Maybe you can find a simple camera with motion detector...
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10