x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Text editing recommendations, 900c

tomchaps Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi, all. While waiting for my 900c to arrive (eBay, I hope it works...), I had a question about Word Pad. I had hoped to work on my dissertation on this machine, but would need to see footnotes. I presume Word Pad doesn't support it; I also see that Textmaker does, but it costs almost as much as I paid for the 900c!

Does anyone have any recommendations for a better text editor than Word Pad that is cheap or free? How bad is Word Pad at editing normal Word documents?

Thanks.
 Top of the page
lil Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 4:53 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

As far as I am aware there isn't an alternative for the H/PC other than TextMaker at present.

This is something I hope to resolve myself in time but I have no doubt that by the time I get there you could have done your thesis some ten times over!

I'm not aware of any other 'technical' writing packages for the H/PC (if there is I need to know) and I'm not aiming to write another TextMaker, rather a PocketWord that is streamlined to work on long documents with citations, cross references, indexes, bibliographies, footnotes, endnotes and constructing long documents from linking smaller files together. There will be basic text layout in the form of fonts, size, style (bold, italic and underline), line spacing etc., but we won't be talking textMaker style here

Shame it won't be ready anytime soon

Vicky
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 5:27 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

If Textmaker costs almost as much as your 900C, then you got a really good deal on your unit. Textmaker isn't that expensive last time I checked...but it is worth every penny you'll ever spend on it.

Rich
 Top of the page
tomchaps Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 7:42 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

$89 + $15 shipping for my unit, with OEM stylus and AC adapter, 64MB flash card, new backup battery. I'm presuming this means that it'll smell like poop or something, but here's hoping I got a steal.

Textmaker is $69, as far as I can tell. Anyone have a used copy to sell?

Oh, and Vicky: it's taken me a long, long time to write half of my dissertation, so you might just have it ready in time. Though I hope not...
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 8:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yep you got a steal... textmaker might be cheaper without planmaker - or look on ebay, softmaker themselves sell copies cheaper on ebay.
 Top of the page
Ceya Page Icon Posted 2007-03-19 11:21 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Textmaker has a March discount deal now , look on their site. Yep pretty cheap. I do like Pocket Word but not Word Pad.

S/F,
CEYA!
 Top of the page
tomchaps Page Icon Posted 2007-03-20 12:03 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Huh, I can't seem to find the sale on the www.softmaker.com site. It's probably somewhere really obvious, but I'm not seeing it. Could you provide a link?

Thanks, all!
 Top of the page
wyattcox Page Icon Posted 2007-03-20 12:55 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

tomchaps - 2007-03-19 10:03 PM

Huh, I can't seem to find the sale on the www.softmaker.com site. It's probably somewhere really obvious, but I'm not seeing it. Could you provide a link?

Thanks, all!

http://www.softmaker.com/english/ofp_en.htm

Special prices all the way at the bottom of the page.

I got a good deal on my 900c, but I couldn't pass up the Desktop/Palmtop package for WP and Spreadsheet..
 Top of the page
tomchaps Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 12:20 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Got the machine, seems in decent shape. The screen is great, the case is a bit scratched.

I can't seem to read any pdfs, though. The pages are simply blank. Has anyone else experienced this?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 2:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

use adobe reader instead, the built in one is not so great (though if you update the OS you get an updater pdf viewer too).

download: http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php get the one hacked specifically for cenet 4.2 (and i recommend... the recommended one of the two versions! )
 Top of the page
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 5:30 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

tomchaps-

I'm not a great fan of TextMaker; there are a great many posts from me on their forum ranting on about one thing or another I'm not happy with.

However if you are going to do any serious writing (and 60% of my job is creative writing) you really need it. What I do is: draft in rtf (using which ever) and proof in .doc (or pdf, converted on the desktop)

Get the TextMaker desktop app if you can afford it - it's miles better than Word, and the advantage you gain in speed and confidence from having the same apps on the desktop and the HPC isn't trivial.

Good Luck!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 6:29 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

Sch01ar: i wasnt a fan either but am now becoming one! they fixed all the problems (the stuff i had problems with) in the 2006 version... finally. already have the full version and it's great so far...

and i finally got that elusive rev397 too, it works well on mips .. again i can say "finally"
 Top of the page
tomchaps Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 2:40 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Wow, thanks for the link, Cmonex. Which is the "upgraded" OS, by the way?
 Top of the page
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 2:53 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Cmonex; they got you too! I feel like Domald Sutherland in "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers"
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 4:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Sch01ar: sorry! but i promise, if i find a problem with it i will not hesitate to post

tomchaps: your 900c probably doesn't have the latest revision of the OS. if it is anything below 2.x. in NEC firmware information then it is too old.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.355 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 14