x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

MobilePro 900c and Laridian PocketBible

1 2
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 5:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Hey Arog, wish I knew of such a place, but this is the best there is. I mean you have a lot of people here with a lot of smarts. You just have to get over the initial learning curve and then things get easier. If you have any suggestions for some help stuff that I should post on my site at HPCNEC.COM, be sure and let me know and I'll add it. Always looking for suggestions to make it better.

Rich
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 5:36 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

arog73 - 2007-03-22 5:07 PM

Well...I sure appreciate everyone's help...thank you!

But...I think I am going to give up! Nothing is working...although, I think if I was trying the HPC 2000 version instead of the PPC version of PocketBible on my 900c I may have better luck. Unfortunately, the HPC 2000 of PB seems to no longer be available. Oh well...not a big deal.

I'm a really big fan of the Mobilepro. I always have been. I've owned a 770, currently own a 780, have owned an 880 (and loved it), and also currently own a 900c.

My thought was that the 900c would really kick 'A'. So far, it has been more frustrating than anything because of the lack of application support.

For all of you out there that have figured out how to run various programs on your 900/900c's...more power to you...you seem to be smarter than me. I wish there was an "authoratative resource" or ONE PLACE TO GO for this type of information...but there really isn't!

The people on these forums are really smart and really helpful...but forums are exactly that...a forum...not a single point of reference.

Have any of you thought about writing a book about this issue? I mean...a once and for all guide to how to use the Mobilepro 900/900c. NEC certainly didn't do it. Is there a big enough market for it? Perhaps not in wide distribution, but certainly there is a potential "digital" or "online" market audience...like me for instance.

Or...maybe there is such a reference somewhere and I just need to be told about it. I don't know. Heck, this whole thing was sure much easier back in the CE 3.0 days with H/PC Pro's. I mean apps were specifically written for that platform!

Ok...I'm rambling now...I'll stop...!

Anyone have something to add or any nasty rebukes for me?

Aaron

well yes cenet requires you to learn some new thigns but after that it is really great.

one place to go to for info on the 900/900c hacking? i'm planning to make a cenet site and one part of it would be entirely dedicated to the 900..

until that if you want to go back to hpc2000 i can send you a downgrade OS image for your 900c.

but maybe we can still figure out this pocketbible issue. send me the cab file to contactchan at freemail.hu

oh and the hpc mfcce is on my site, under hpc mfc http://izemize.fw.hu/hpc.php (edit: ah i see you mean you can't find a hpc2000 version of the program.. forget this last line)

Edited by cmonex 2007-03-22 5:39 PM
 Top of the page
arog73
arog73 Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 11:53 PM
#
You (and Rich) and all the others are just awesome.

I would love to try the HPC 2000 version of the ROM can you email it to me...or perhaps point me to a URL where I could download it? That would be way great!

What a cool community of people! In my ranting earlier I hope I didn't come across like I didn't appreciate this site or the information it offers...in fact, I love HPC Factor and have perused its articles for a long time. There is tons of great info here. Sometimes though, just by their nature, it can hard to get one final answer from a forum...I'm sure all of you know what I mean.

I am certainly not afraid of learning curves or trying new things. Heck after 15 years in the IT business, I better not be! I think the issue is just one of convenience for me at this point. I mean come...if it is this hard to just "prove" that app x can run on device y....then at some point doesn't the very fact that it took PULLING TEETH TO MAKE IT HAPPEN kind of dimenish the whole effect? LOL...I mean it's kind of like running linux on a pocket pc...you know? It's possible...yes...but what the heck is the point when it doesn't really give you anything useful?

That's kind of how I feel about this whole MB 900c thing at this point. I mean even if I were to get Pocket Bible to run at this point (which with all of your help, I may do...), what will it get me in the long run? I'm pretty sure it will not be very useful because of the screen size issue. What I should be doing is looking for the HPC 2000 version of the app and concentrate on getting that to run because at least if I can do that it would be somewhat useful. The trouble there is that Laridian doesn't seem to offer an HPC 2000 version of the program anymore. Just to make sure of that though, I sent Laridian an email today and asked them directly. I'll be sure and post there reply here when I get it.

Once again...I've said too much I think. Perhaps I should be "blogging" this and not taking up all of ya'lls time with my ramblings!

Aaron
 Top of the page
arog73
arog73 Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 11:57 PM
#
Rich,

I didn't know about your site until you mentioned it in your post. I haven't checked it out yet, but I'm on my way over there right now! Thanks for pointing out that new resource. As for ideas of what else you could put on your site, I can't say just yet...cause I haven't seen it! But, rest assured, I will take a look around and will give you a shout out if I see glaring bit of useful info that is missing!

Aaron
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-03-23 3:12 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

BTW, just wanted to add that I downloaded the current V3.0 of Laridian Pocket Bible and performed the necessary hex edits to make the program run. It runs...but that is all I can say about it. Then menus require Winwatch in order to access the commands, and my first impression...contact Laridian if you want it and buy the HPC version. Much easier and better. Even with the hacks, the menus stink trying to run the ppc version on an hpc. I attached a couple of screenshots just so you can see what I'm talking about.

Rich

(lv3ppc.jpg)

(lv3ppc2.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments lv3ppc.jpg (63KB - 1 downloads)
Attachments lv3ppc2.jpg (29KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
danshawna
danshawna Page Icon Posted 2007-04-02 9:09 PM
#
Hi there, i have been trying everything also and would like to know about the downgrade image from 900c to 900 with ce 3.o. can you email it to danielnorman@sc.rr.com. thanks so much. I have been trying to install olive tree and laridian and they dont work to no avail.
 Top of the page
EDSchulte
EDSchulte Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 12:51 PM
#
Hey y'all. I wanted to do the same thing (Laridian PocketBible on a 900c) and happened across this thread. I used to run the thing years back on a Jornada 820 (which I still have) but can't locate the install programs.

I logged onto Laridian and poked around, the screen snippet, attached, is from their knowledbase. Seems this was written almost three years ago, thus, I doubt they'll ever support ce.net.

Seems that if a concerted effort can demonstrate that it's in their best interest to offer it (i.e.: new sales of PocketBible and/or other add-ons [bible versions, etc.]) they'll get some movement and may deliver.

Maybe a reader of this thread has some influence at UsedHandhelds.com or other vendors that can assist in carrying out this request?

(laridiran_answer.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments laridiran_answer.JPG (42KB - 0 downloads)
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 2:04 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

danshawna - 2007-04-02 9:09 PM

Hi there, i have been trying everything also and would like to know about the downgrade image from 900c to 900 with ce 3.o. can you email it to danielnorman@sc.rr.com. thanks so much. I have been trying to install olive tree and laridian and they dont work to no avail.

Olive tree works just fine.....you need to make sure that it's BibleReader v2.20h

The newer versions don't work on either the MP 900/900c or the HP 720/728
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.347 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 15