x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Just wanted to show my newest toy

Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 4:55 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Not an hpc, but something useful to use with my hpcs. I have a couple of pcmcia hard drive cards, 2 and 4 gb type that work fine with my hpcs, but getting data to them means using my laptop (which I keep upstairs), so I picked this up on eBay the other day.

It fit perfectly in my last open 5 1/4 inch drive bay...now have all 6 of them filled. Has a couple ribbon cables that go to a controller card. Was only $8 and that included shipping.

Now I can plug in pcmcia devices in the front of my tower and don't have to mess going around the backside any more to the rear pcimcia pci card slot. Made by Maxtor...don't know the model, but it was auto-recognized by XP.

Also works with all of my wifi cards and my ata memory cards, so I can check everything on my desktop now much easier.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2007-03-21 5:00 PM

(pcmciaslot.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments pcmciaslot.jpg (68KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:08 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Nice catch, Rich.
 Top of the page
btrimmer Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:21 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Man, I been looking everywhere for one of those! I have two front-mount PCMCIA adapters, but the interface card is ISA instead of PCMCIA.
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 5:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

Thanks CE Geek.

I got lucky Btrimmer, I have a PCI card one but it opens into the back, hard to get to. I used to have an ISA one that opened in the front, but after I upgraded my motherboard, I only had PCI slots, no ISA. This one is PCI. The faceplate itself has a Maxtor label on it, but no model identity or anything, even on the electronics, so I was taking a chance.

Rich

Edited by Rich Hawley 2007-03-21 5:42 PM
 Top of the page
H2OGuru Page Icon Posted 2007-03-21 7:42 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Rich--these are great. I have had a couple of them scattered between home and office for a few months now. Like you, I got a good price too (though not as good as you did). I think you'll like having it.

H2O G
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-03-22 7:16 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Always a useful addition to a geek system
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2007-03-24 10:48 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Does it support cardbus?

Anyway, I too have an ISA one like that. It is even a double slot - a Type III slot directly above a Type II slot.

I have always wondered why Desktop PCs don't come with these slots. Nowadays they come with memory card slots that are USB 2.0 based. They cannot support interface cards (memory cards only) but the connection is faster than CardBus.

... and then now PCMCIA is being phased out and replaced by ExpressCard.
 Top of the page
Half-Saint Page Icon Posted 2007-03-26 9:04 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'd love one of those PCMCIA adapters on USB to carry around with me when I go to work without having to carry awhole notebook with me. Just got me a 5GB Toshiba PCMCIA hard drive and it's bloody marvelous. Also have a 2GB one but it's a bit too small.

By the way, does anyone know of a way to put this hard drive inside one of those 2.5" hard drive cases? That would save me the effort of getting a new 2.5" hard drive since I already have a smaller one

Cheers
SainT
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 44 - Executed queries : 33