x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Welcome back, Clio! (part 2)

CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-26 1:14 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Still trying to get a parts Clio to swap out a couple of parts to my original Clio C-1050 (not the perfect one I got for $15 a few months ago), I found one last week on eBay on which, according to the seller, the previous user used an ink pen(!) as a stylus and this left ink marks on the screen. The keyboard was also missing a couple of keys. No main battery either. Still a pretty good deal at $32 (though not nearly as good as the above-mentioned $15 Clio).

I was just looking for a replacement for the keyboard's plastic embedded circuit sheet, but also hoped to be able to swap motherboards if this one turned out to be fully intact, as the motherboard on my original Clio had just one flaw: the soft reset button had broken off shortly after I bought it in 2005. However, I found that removing the motherboard would not be as easy as I thought, because two soldered wires run up through one of the swivel arms and inside the display casing, thus requiring me to either unsolder and resolder the wires or open up the display housing.

Not trusting myself anywhere near a soldering iron, and worried that I'd break the display casing if I tried to open it up (looks much harder to open than the Jornada's display), I decided to try another route: see if I could clean the ink marks off the screen and then just swap keypads with my original Clio. Cleaning the screen turned out to be easier than I thought - just a spot of isopropanol (rubbing alcohol) on a dry cloth got it all out with a bit of rubbing.

These parts H/PCs are turning out to be great deals, with liquidators who know nothing about H/PCs having no idea how simple the fixes can be.

Edited by CE Geek 2007-03-26 1:16 PM
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 11:44 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I agree. Having the smarts to buy broken and fix saves quite a bit of money!
Oh, if only smarts paid off with the ladies as it did with the electronics :-D
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 11:47 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Don't I know it.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2007-04-07 10:46 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

What parts do you need? Mine was severely damaged in my move.... I cracked the frame laterally. I'm sure the electronics are fine, it's just the screen was sheered from the rest of it.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-04-07 5:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Whoa - that sounds painful. The third Clio just needs a few keyboard parts: the 'Ctrl' key (and the plastic clip that holds it onto the keypad), the left-hand 'Shift' key, and the two plastic embedded-circuit sheets that transmit key presses to the motherboard.

However, once I get those parts for the third Clio, I plan to sell at least one of the two extras (I'm keeping the $15 one. ). Other than the above-mentioned keyboard parts, the third Clio is in excellent condition. Maybe you'll want to swap those parts with yours to get a working Clio again. You can PM me if you're interested.
 Top of the page
Pete P. Page Icon Posted 2007-04-08 9:12 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm kinda looking to get rid of the stuff... I'm fixing PCs not and have to drop a hobby or two :-C

I'm keeping PCs and Legos and R/C Stuff... Electronics, HPCs and Origami and math have to go :-C
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 63 - Executed queries : 9