x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Custom ROM for Skeye.pad SL?

« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-03-26 1:19 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

As Cmonex is making custom ROMs for MP900C, we may want to do the same with Skeye.pad SL. Do you think it possible?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 1:21 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

well i'll try to outline what you need to achieve that.

1. either hack the available rom image's protection or dump one from a skeyepad and make it flashable. i've done both before several times, i think any of these can be possible. but maybe the second way is a little bit more appealing to some people
1a. if you go with hacking the protection you will need something to extract the rom image and put the stuff back in as itis compressed so you cant just patch the rom image directly. also you need some programming knowledge
1b. to dump it properly you jsut need a basic understanding of roms and formats and how they are laid out in the physical rom. also you need to find the proper dumper, there are many, if you're not unlucky one will work.

2. then just use the tools to make custom roms.. they are very lame though. i'll try to write a tutorial how to get the best out of the available tools and how to extend the functionality manually. even the reg-fdf konverter has a stupid bug. (can be worked around however)
i do not mean imgfs tools here or the various romkitchens... they are for the xda or wm5 devices. wm5 is the first OS that has comfortable and capable tools (and did i mention wm5 has relocs in the dlls?)

well i think that's all as an outline, and yes it should be possible with some luck

edit: to actually start the project: i'd like to know about the hardware and other stuff about the skeyepad.. is it strongarm, xscale etc? how much ram? how much free? can it do activesync? does it have a userdisk? do the specs say anything about NOR or NAND flash?

after that i can guess what tools you would need but it'll be jsut a guess. you can try all of them until one works.. however if it is NAND then you might not be able to dump a rom. then back to option 1a. (are there really no free public updates for it though?)

Edited by cmonex 2007-03-27 1:26 AM
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 2:16 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

The skeye.pad SL has an SA-1100 processor and, IIRC, 64 MB RAM. Dunno what type of flash. I have an ActiveSync partnership with mine, so . . . .
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 2:51 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

so far it sounds good.. i'd like to hear more details.

also, anyone willing to try out tools if i post some with desc's on how to use them?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-03-27 11:02 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Here are the specs from the manual for Skeye.pad Classic and SL. Our model is SL.

Hardware:
• CPU strong-arm SA1110, 206 MHz
• Graphic-Coprocessor with own memory
• Memory: 64 MB SDRAM, 32 MB Flash
• 8,2” (21 cm) backlit brilliant TFT-display (800x600 pixels)
• Touch panel
• Interfaces: 1 x RS232, IrDA (115,200 Bits/s), Consumer IR (for control
for IR devices), PCMCIA Slot type 2, Compact Flash type 2, USB Slave
(11 Mbits/s) in preparation
• Wireless communication
• DECT (115,200 Bits/s)
• GSM/HSCSD via IrDA-port (drivers are integrated in the system)
or PCMCIA slot
• Remote control of infra-red devices like VCR, Tuner, TV...
• Via PCMCIA/CF: Wireless LAN, Home RF, Bluetooth, GSM,
HSCSD, GPRS
• Lithium storage battery supplying 3,200 mAh
• Operating time up to five hours
Software
• Operating systems
• Windows CE 3.0 incl. Pocket Word, Inbox and Internet Explorer
• Handheld PC 2000 (Pocket Outlook, Office and Terminal Server
Client)
• Linux optional
• Flash-disk (FAT32) for permanent saving of data, programs and settings
• Backup-tool for saving data, settings and data bases in the flash-disk
• Teach in IR-remote control
• Operating system update tools
• Network-connections
• Access to Internet via Wireless LAN, Home RF, Bluetooth or the
integrated DECT module
• Direct connection (TCP/IP) to a PC via Wireless LAN, Home RF,
the docking station, the integrated IrDA-port or DECT radio
• RAS-access (serial, IrDA, DECT, Wireless LAN, Home RF, Bluetooth)
• Synchronization and backup of data with a PC via ActiveSync
• Connection via a DataGate (TCP/IP-connection for up to eight
DECT-skeye.pads
• Size/Weight: 240x160x30 mm / approx. 900 g

Most of us have CE .NET 4.1, but CE Geek has 4.2.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-03-28 3:26 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

(gloats)

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-28 7:31 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok i'm going to assume the better case - that this has NOR flash. try to run this tool with a CF card inserted which is named Storage Card:

http://cenet.atw.hu/files/flash/900tools.zip

(use the one named romdumptoCF. you can use romdumptoRAM if you dont have a Storage Card)

and then zip the resulting 32MB file (33554432 bytes) and see if it is larger than a couple MB's. if so upload it somewhere so i can look at it

Edited by cmonex 2007-03-28 7:33 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-30 12:11 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

seriously, no one tried this? you only have to click on one button in the program and wait 2 mins for it to dump the rom! BTW, no risks involved. i can give you a site where you can upload it if you can't stand rapidshare (i can't).
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-03-30 12:23 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'll do it over the weekend.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-30 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks

btw if you/anyone didn't find the english instructions in the readme, please redownload 900tools. i eliminated the need for scrolling to find the english part
 Top of the page
doquitealittle
doquitealittle Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 12:55 PM
#
Hi all. I got one from the same ebay auction. I am new to the windows ce environment. It took me quite a while and many failed installs with the wrong cab files before I finaly figured out that ce.net is "special". This device is way too light,crisp,and powerful enough with the video coprocessor that it really deserves a better operating system. I would dump my Rom in a heartbeat if I could get a sync with my host. I couldn't even get a valid wireless network going. I have too access the internet through jana proxy server recomended by Sven on the Skeye forum. Im not an engineer but if there is anything I could do to help I would be way more than willing to help.

It sounds like everybody got the ericsson tems drive tester dock cradle. I just wired a male cigarette lighter adapter to the red and black wires. As far as the the giant spring loaded grappling device that is on it blocking the cf slot. I ripped it off. The skeye.pad stuffs right in there and still stays put. It has a nice snug fit. I also bought one of the wally world universal power adapters.(center positive) It gets pretty hot after some use but it works great as overnight charger. If I dim the screen my pad will last almost all day on that charge. I suppose if I dimmed it even more and hid in a dark closet I might make it two.

For others using 4.1 I am using a netgear ma401 16bit card and a prism400 for 2577.cab driver.

But seriously. 4.1 sucks heaps. Explorer 5.5 sucks heaps(I put a java vm on my pad wich improved my browsing experience by leaps and bounds.) No Opera for 4.1 no Mozilla for 4.1. no Minimo. Nobody writes anything for this OS.

Linux would really be the the best but 4.2 would far better. And is 5.0 impossible for this device?

Tony
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 2:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

doquitealittle you dont need activesync for the tool i linked to..

the tool dumps the rom to a CF card and then you can just put that card in a card reader in your pc or something.

right, opera, mozilla, etc will run fine on 4.2.

edit: i made the readme better. so now no excuses to dump that rom

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-01 3:00 PM
 Top of the page
doquitealittle
doquitealittle Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 8:47 PM
#
OK I took a dump

I'll upload it to my site tomorrow
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 9:09 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

cool, thx. how big is the zipped 32MB file?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-04-02 2:07 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

doquitealittle - 2007-04-01 5:47 PM

OK I took a dump

I'll upload it to my site tomorrow

You are quick. I have not dumped the ROM yet.

Edited by CAuser 2007-04-02 2:08 AM
 Top of the page
« 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 9