x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Custom ROM for Skeye.pad SL?

« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-24 4:23 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hmm, i dont know what this skeyepad dock is like. what connector does it have?

i assume the AS version is 3.8?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-06-24 6:09 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes. I used AS 3.8. The dock has a standard DB9 serial port, but the manufacturer stresses a null modem cable with 9 pins fully implemented is required. I do not know the difference between such a cable and a standard DB9 one. As another effort, I also tried Pharos' CF-to-serial adapter and serial-to-USB cable and installed the driver from Pharos, but ActiveSync could not detect Skeye.pad from such a two-tier transition. I remember Isotherm somehow flashed the ROM and gave us a warning. Maybe, he has a way to sync Skeye.pad with a PC.

Edited by CAuser 2007-06-24 6:12 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-24 6:22 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

isotherm seems to be unavailable.

ask mrfreon how he flashed it.

another idea. what about asking on the skeye.com forums about the serial sync? (dont mention the 4.2 there hehe)
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-06-25 1:52 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I know I synched mine via IrDA before my ActiveSync server PC crashed. But it won't work now - it quits after a fraction of a second. I've tried a null modem cable connection and had the same result as CAuser - nothin'. (C'mon, just one sync, please - network sync worked fine after that. )
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-06-25 2:13 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I finally bought a real null modem cable DB9 (female to female). Frankly, I did not take NULL MODEM seriously until I found the cable is totally different from a serial extension cable with a female to female adapter. The cable effectively works like a crossover Ethernet one to transfer files between two PCs. When I connected Skeye.pad to my Sony Win2K machine, AS did not automatically start. I manually started AS and I saw Skeye.pad was connecting and then said "Device Connected". However, AS on the host PC said 'Not connected' after trying for a while. Actually, each try from the PC triggered a dialog showing the connecting status. Of course, AS and Skeye.pad finally quit. I'm going to read the manual carefully and post a question at the manufacturer's forum for help.

P.S.: Skeye.pad's PC connection only shows 2 choices: Serial @115200 or Infrared while MP900C provides 4 serial choices in addition to USB and Infrared. Is there any place on the host PC I can check the connection speed setting that may not match 115200?

Edited by CAuser 2007-06-25 2:27 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-25 5:22 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

CAuser: ah, i forgot about this possibility (that you dont have a real null modem)

anyway, are you sure the right COM port is setup in AS? i know i know.. just making sure

no need to set connection speeds on the PC - C:Amie always tells you so.

on which machine did you have to start AS manually?
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-06-25 12:38 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Yes. The right COM port is COM1. I had to start AS manually from the host PC. I then carefully checked the manual about syncing the pad with a PC. Here is what they say:
If it is not possible to establish an ActiveSync connection between
the skeye.pad and the PC, Microsoft recommends to control the
following registry entries on the PC and append them if necessary:
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE
Services]
"SerialPort"="COM1" (or COM2)
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows CE Services]
"SerialBaudRate"=0001c200 (115200) (for 115 kbit/s)
Procedure:
• On the PC: Call up Start -> Run -> “Regedit”, click
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE \ open
SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows CE Services
Do these two entries exist?
If not, please create new:
• click on Windows CE Services,
• call up Menu Edit -> New-> Character String,
• enter as name ”SerialPort” (without quotation marks),
• double-click on ”SerialPort”, the window ”edit character string”
opens,
• choose ”Dezimal”, enter 115200.
• call-up Menu Edit -> New -> DWORD-value,
• enter as name ”SerialBaudrate” (without quotation marks),
• double-click ”SerialBaudRate”, the window ”edit DWORDvalue”
opens,
opens,
• enter COM1 (of the COM-port that is used by you),
• finish the Registry-Editor,
• restart your PC, to ensure that the changes become effective.

As you see, the instructions do shed some light on the operation, but obviously they mess up with the settings for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and HKEY_CURRENT_USER. My understanding is:
For HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\...

call up Menu Edit -> New-> Character String,
• enter as name ”SerialPort” (without quotation marks),
• double-click on ”SerialPort”, the window ”edit character string”
opens,
• enter COM1

For HKEY_CURRENT_USER\...

opens,
• finish the Registry-Editor,
• restart your PC, to ensure that the changes become effective.

With these two registry entries, AS now automatically starts when the pad is connected. Unfortunately, AS reports 'Not connected' on the host while Skeye.pad says 'Device connected.' I do not know whom I should blame: M$ or Skeye. I then test MP900C and it works as usual. It seems that M$ knew the problem might occur. Even with M$' recommendation followed, the problem still appears. Unbelievable!

Edited by CAuser 2007-06-25 12:41 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-25 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

are you able to talk to the pc from the skeyepad over serial, using a terminal program? check that.
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-06-27 10:12 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi there,

as you will notice i just joined this forum.
I read about your plans to build a customized wince image for the skeye sl and i might help you with some information concerning the hardware of the pad.
Let me first refer to the serial cable. You have to use a fully connected cross-cable to succesfully sync with your desktop.
This is what my cable looks like:
1 - 4 2 - 3 3 - 2 4 - 1 5 - 5 6 leave open 7 - 8 8 - 7 9 - 9

During the last year i became very familiar with the skeye sl hardware, because i started an attempt to port linux to this device.
You might have a look at my webpage. There are also some pics.
So considering your knowledge about building wince image from scratch, i have to call myself novice because i prefer the linux stuff.

Right now i build the first ready to run linux image started from CF-card on the skeye sl. The image files are available here.
If you run this distri on your pad, it is no problem to dump all parts of flash directly into a file or where ever you want.
I also picked out how the flash is organized for .net4.1 and was able to extract the files.

The device uses two 16Mbyte 16Bit-wide NOR flashes, connected parallel to the 32Bit bus of the processor.
How do plan to flash them?
How about testing??

Please let me know if i may help in any way!

Greetings,

scholbert

Edited by scholbert 2007-06-27 11:08 AM
 Top of the page
CAuser Page Icon Posted 2007-06-27 11:51 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

scholbert, welcome aboard! You are definitely more experienced than most of the Skeye.pad SL users here. I did succeed in syncing the pad with a PC with a hint from the manufacturer's forum.

Edited by CAuser 2007-06-27 11:54 AM
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-06-27 1:30 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for your commendation, CAuser !
I benefit a lot from forums like this, so it's time to give something back to the folks .

I think i will post my efforts with the linux port for the skeye sl, into the linux fraction of this forum soon, at least the most interesting ones. Stay tuned!

The .net things are quite exciting though. Let's see what i can do for you!!

Regards,

scholbert

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-27 1:59 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

scholbert - 2007-06-27 4:12 PM

So considering your knowledge about building wince image from scratch, i have to call myself novice because i prefer the linux stuff.

Right now i build the first ready to run linux image started from CF-card on the skeye sl. The image files are available here.
If you run this distri on your pad, it is no problem to dump all parts of flash directly into a file or where ever you want.
I also picked out how the flash is organized for .net4.1 and was able to extract the files.

The device uses two 16Mbyte 16Bit-wide NOR flashes, connected parallel to the 32Bit bus of the processor.
How do plan to flash them?
How about testing??

hey. i wish i had a skeyepad, so i could try your linux distro

to make clear some things about the custom roms. they are not built from scratch you can edit the original OS images at will, remove crap, add new stuff, etc...
i've done that with several models already (nec 900/900c, simpad sl4/cl4, etc). the only problem is that there are few programs that can speed up the image editing. so it isn't a breeze, but i'm planning to get some better app written.

to recompile the CE kernel and the OS from scratch would be very far from trivial: i do have access to platform builder that will do it, but would need to write a BSP (board support package) before compiling the OS. it is harder than doing linux in that this would be done almost from scratch. there are some samples that can help, though.
anyway it would be pointless, unless you'd want to port CE 5.0/6.0 and there the problem is that they dont include strongarm support, so quite a lot harder to do.

but yes, dumping NOR flash is very simple. glad they are not NAND..with NOR you just tell the processor to copy the memory from 0x0
about how to flash: the manufacturer has an update program, and an updater image format (that i call flashable image), it is a .nbz file, that is simply the OS image with a header.

btw, we will be basing the images on cenet 4.2. which i have successfully patched. (manufacturer won't sell outside germany and the OS has a protection in the kernel... or rather, *had* )

about testing.... if you can help, thats great

p.s... ii'm reading your site now and see you have a simpad (i have one too.)

Edited by cmonex 2007-06-27 2:07 PM
 Top of the page
scholbert Page Icon Posted 2007-06-28 6:24 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey cmonex,

cmonex - 2007-06-27 1:59 PM
hey. i wish i had a skeyepad, so i could try your linux distro

the skeye sl in fact is a nice device. The linux distro is mainly based on the Simpad images and it is in beta test state. Far away from everyday usage, but usable. Maybe i take some pictures

to make clear some things about the custom roms. they are not built from scratch you can edit the original OS images at will, remove crap, add new stuff, etc...
i've done that with several models already (nec 900/900c, simpad sl4/cl4, etc). the only problem is that there are few programs that can speed up the image editing. so it isn't a breeze, but i'm planning to get some better app written.

How do edit them?
Do you use perl scripts like the XDA-guys or are you a hexadecimal genius with a powerful hex-calculator?

to recompile the CE kernel and the OS from scratch would be very far from trivial: i do have access to platform builder that will do it, but would need to write a BSP (board support package) before compiling the OS. it is harder than doing linux in that this would be done almost from scratch. there are some samples that can help, though.
anyway it would be pointless, unless you'd want to port CE 5.0/6.0 and there the problem is that they dont include strongarm support, so quite a lot harder to do.

Yeah, i knew this!
I guess some guys are already planing to integrate the strongarm into one of the newer versions of CE.

about how to flash: the manufacturer has an update program, and an updater image format (that i call flashable image), it is a .nbz file, that is simply the OS image with a header.

Yes that's right. This tool works together with the bootloader of the skeye sl, but i'm not aware of the mechanism how the flash process is controlled.

btw, we will be basing the images on cenet 4.2. which i have successfully patched. (manufacturer won't sell outside germany and the OS has a protection in the kernel... or rather, *had* )

Crazy!

Sure!!

O.K. let's go for it. Keep on rockin' !

scholbert

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-06-28 9:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey

the skeye sl in fact is a nice device. The linux distro is mainly based on the Simpad images and it is in beta test state. Far away from everyday usage, but usable. Maybe i take some pictures

definitely take some

How do edit them?
Do you use perl scripts like the XDA-guys or are you a hexadecimal genius with a powerful hex-calculator?

i don't know perl and dont intend to learn it (teh available scripts are not good for these kind of images except for the registry scripts). yes, i like hex reading though
i use some commandline tools to make the work easier, they are from xdadev/itsme but planning to get something written in .net or maybe another cli app in c. because the tools cant do everything. in those cases i do use hexeditor+calc

I guess some guys are already planing to integrate the strongarm into one of the newer versions of CE.

who?

Yes that's right. This tool works together with the bootloader of the skeye sl, but i'm not aware of the mechanism how the flash process is controlled.

well i dont have the skeyepad so didnt look much into it, but probably it uses an enterbootloader program (there is one such program in the skeyepad rom image too), then downloads the image to the bootloader and the bootloader flashes it,

i can be very wrong about this though never seen a skeyepad flash process. maybe it downloads its own special bootloader to flash with it. there are many methods to do a flashing.

on the other hand ive seen the skeyepad XSL updater, that runs on the device itself and flashes while the OS is running, crazy hehe.

Crazy!

yeah

----
Sure!!
O.K. let's go for it. Keep on rockin' !

thanks in advance

Edited by cmonex 2007-06-28 9:52 PM
 Top of the page
doquitealittle
doquitealittle Page Icon Posted 2007-07-01 11:20 PM
#
I have an extra pad I am willing to donate to cmonex if someone wants to help chip in for shipping from Indiana to Hungary. I think the experimentation between Scholbert & cmonex could be fruitful beyond the Skeyepad. She really deserves one of her own too.

Welcome Scholbert. I saw your pages some time ago when I first got mine off Ebay. I would like to help any way I can with both your efforts(Although my schedule is pretty heavy for about the next month I'll do what I can.). I'm a Linux noob but embedded is what I want to cut my teeth on. Personally I think desktops should have been dead a long time ago. They make my back hurt. I love sitting in the recliner with a Skeyepad Via VNC or my smartphone.

Much thanks Cmonex for the 4.x work You've done so far. I haven't read the 900c request list but I would enjoy a bluetooth stack with DUN for my pad. That would give me a broadband connection anywhere through my Motorola Q to keep the kids occupied going down the road. Now that's entertainment I have a $6 usb dongle with BlueSoleil and it works better than the usb tether Verizon gave me.

Regards

Doquite

Skeyepad sl Ce.NET 4.1 : IpaqH2210 : MotoQ

Edited by doquitealittle 2007-07-01 11:24 PM
 Top of the page
« Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next »
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 10