x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 690 Keyboard problems

SteveR Page Icon Posted 2005-03-25 12:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hello everyone,

It's been a while since I've posted here.
My H/PC's been suffering midlife breakdown lately...one of the tabs on the CF slot is busted so whenever I put a PC card in the thing snaps open...
And more recently, I was at a swim meet on the deck, doing some work on my HPC, when a splash sent some water onto it. Not much, because it was shielded by its case, but the keyboard stopped working. A few soft resets later and a dryoff and all the keys were working except for tab and window key. As well, whenever I press A, it prints 'as', s, it prints 'as', and the same thing happens with the q, w, z, x, 1, and 2 buttons. Anybody have any input on this? I'd be depressed if such a small amount of water could do this to my HPC - I don't want to lose it...
It seems like the thing's nearing its end though...I'm unhappy with that clamshell lid screw design - the screw constantly loosens itself, making the screen annoyingly loose.
Perhaps I'll defect and join the PPC crowd...but the HPC is so nice, so unique...

Anyways, forgive my ranting, and I hope someone has some insight to my keyboard dilemma.

Steve
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-03-25 1:56 AM
#
H/PC Elite

The locker tabs of the CF slot can easily be fixed with some epoxic plastiline and a flat screwdriver, and some black paint if you care for cosmetics. if you want more directions on how to do it PM or e-mail me.

About the keyboard thing, it can be easily replaced, just:
a) buy another keyboard
b) remove the 3 screws closer to the J's front (the ones marked with arrows)
c) lift the keybd with a flat screwdriver
d) loosen the ribbon connector
e) snap the new one following the same procedure in reverse order (the only step that should not be reversed is: "a) buy another keyboard".
To prevent further liquid spill to you're H/PC, i suggest you to buy the Image911 keyboard skins and repeat 1000 times: "Jornadas don't like swimming"

ThereĀ“s no need to throw your H/PC away because of such a simple couple of flaws, besides, if you convert to a PPC-only user , you'll be tagged as "Heretic" and banned from the H/PC paradise, also, you'll be held responsible and possibly sued for moral & mental damages by C:Amie (for he'll have many nightmares about PPC's dominating the world )

Off-topic (WARNING: YOU MAY DIE LAUGHING IF YOU READ THIS!!): Do yo know how much do HP Mexico wanted for a J728 keybd? $2900MXP, that is about $250 USD!!!!!!!
i bought a second hand one in ebay for about $30

Edited by matrixcore 2005-03-25 2:13 AM
 Top of the page
BANE J720
BANE J720 Page Icon Posted 2005-03-25 6:14 AM
#
ok you may not have to buy a whole new keyboard. If it is only one key, i had the same problem with my jornada 680 when Ihad it, Pressing a button was creating a string of other characters. I was very annoyed, especially when trying to enter my PASSWORD! I couldn't get into my device. Well I got a little scredriver and lifted of one of the keys... poped it off like on a pc keyboard, blew in around to clean any dust, then refitted the button (it justs clicks back on) and it worked.

.........IB a n e
 Top of the page
SteveR Page Icon Posted 2005-07-02 1:44 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

w00t!

Some tinkering with the little daisy cable, some compressed air, some percussive maintenance...and I've got a working keyboard!

I'm not sure what it was, but it could have been that the white 'pusher' that holds the keyboard cable in place was loose on one side (because the tab was broken off ). But now it works! Perfect time too, because I'll be serving as a missionary intern for the next six weeks and I can journal on it!

Steve

PS. Oh and some time back the plastic tabs that lock the CF slot broke off of mine...I found the tabs in my case, and some crazy glue and electrical tape, 10 minutes, and I've got a locking CF slot! It's a good day in my H/PC world.

Edited by SteveR 2005-07-02 1:46 AM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 9