x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

LG Phenom Express / Compaq WL100 woes

1 2
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 3:42 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

hey no problem

what is not clear to me: did you try using static ip on the phenom? static ip, subnet mask, gateway, dns. that's all you need to set up on the phenom.

iirc i had wireless working ok but did not try adhoc with it.
 Top of the page
vnomad Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 4:28 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

The way I understand it, when you run internet sharing on XP you can not also have fixed IPs since you in fact make it work through DHCP. The wireless card on the host PC is always given the IP 192.168.0.1 and does DNS. The other puters get their IPs dynamically. Due to a semaphore file, "hosts.ics", the clients tend to retain the same IPs each time they visit.

To set up a more traditional infrastructure networking, would I not need to run BIND, (or Wingate) in order to have DNS work properly? I did try, but never got a good ping this way.

Sorry to be so noobish, but networking obviously is not my forte.

I suspect things will be a bit easier once I have a real router, and hopefully even cards of the same brand.

Still hoping

dagfinn
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 5:47 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

that's a common misunderstanding that you cant mix dhcp and static ip's. you CAN. just make sure the static ip is not in the ip range of the DHCP clients. that's all. and i never heard about host.ics, it was never needed for configuring an adhoc connection for me.

wingate sucks IMO
 Top of the page
vnomad Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 8:45 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Right, you do not need to know about, or do anything with hosts.ics yourself.
When you enable internet sharing on XP it is written autmatically, and updated dynamically as new clients use DHCP- a semaphore file. It usually resides in the same directory as the HOSTS file.

I have always used HOSTS in static IP Windoze networking, but to my knowledge WinCE can't use this method, and I'm not sure how to define membership in a Workgroup in CE either.

The speed and stability of the Compaq card, also in the second laptop, is becoming so bad that I suspect an electronic malfunction. With a healthy card I see no reason why things should not work on the CE with DHCP as it does on the laptop and PPC.

And yes, Wingate is horribly user unfriendly

Hopefully I'll have some better news later. In the meanwhile, thanks for your generous help!

dagfinn

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-03-29 12:37 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

why do you need to fiddle with workgroups or hosts files? that's beyond me, sorry, afaik you can do the normal stuff with the gui and not dig in obscure files. that's what i wanted to say.

btw about that card, i managed to make a lan card very unstable when swapping it between a hpc and a laptop. then when i bought wlan stuff, i deliberately chose cardbus for the laptop ... maybe it was a coincidence but i would not take any chances again.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 9