x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

J820 on AAA batteries?

1 2 3
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-04-20 5:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Well, not me, that's for sure, given that I've misread at least two different parts of this thread.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-20 7:05 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Which experts? I've been basing my claims off of published reports of the experts. They say that a Li-Ion probably shouldn't be cooled to the point of it's electrolyte freezing (-30 to -40 degrees,) but that cooling it to 0 degrees is of great benefit to it's life.
I've also seen people claiming that they shouldn't be dropped ot 0, but these claims seem to come mostly from people who don't understand much about batteries, or who want to reduce their liability.
If you don't let a very cold li-ion slowly warm up for several hours before you use it, you can damage them. I suspect this is why some instructions say to avoid putting them in your freezer.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-20 8:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

ok that makes sense (about the slow warming up). so maybe that's why experts (yes experts but i dont remember more now ) said this. there was a nice site on this, and it was very professional. the author definitely knew/understood much about batteries.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-04-21 5:32 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Jax184 - 2007-04-20 3:13 AM

I've never seen the inside of an 820's battery pack. Can you get us a picture of the cells?

Here's a shot.

There should be 4 of those blue rectangles, which are the LiIon cells.
 Top of the page
Jax184 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-21 6:01 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

If you measure the cells, you can go looking for ones close to that size. What is the Sony part number? They're usually based on the size of the cells.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-06-03 11:36 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

US103463. But where do you look? Google turns up nothing, and batteryspace.com doesn't stock them. Should we contact Sony? I wonder if anyone at Fry's Electronics would be of any help.
 Top of the page
gibbinsrobert Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 5:34 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hi
Forgive me, I am a late commer to this discussion. I too own a Jornada 820 which is having battery problems as described. I was wondering for those of us who may be interested in repacking their 820 battery pack if Factorite (Senior) would like to do a couple of things for me please.
1/ concerning the picture of the disassembled battery pack could you please provide a picture with increased meg pixles. When I try to blow up the photo it become a little blurry.
2/ is it possible to provide step by step instructions on disassembly and assembly with pictures and tools required along with any pit falls you may see. This would be good to have even as a hardware instruction for others to follow. No need for others to completely reinvent the wheel.

Thank you
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-06-04 3:04 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

If any of us manages to source the batteries and install them, then maybe (s)he could write a tutorial for the CESD.
 Top of the page
gjcoram Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 4:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

gibbinsrobert - 2007-06-04 5:34 AM

2/ is it possible to provide step by step instructions on disassembly and assembly with pictures and tools required along with any pit falls you may see. This would be good to have even as a hardware instruction for others to follow. No need for others to completely reinvent the wheel.

I think I just slid a thin screwdriver around the edges to open up the plastic casing.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-08-15 5:50 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Yeah, it's pretty easy. But you gotta keep an eye on the springs that go in the two latches, cuz they may pop out and get lost. (The battery will still slide in place, but it won't be secure.)
 Top of the page
rrstieb Page Icon Posted 2011-04-01 5:40 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Is this the proper Jornada 820 replacement battery??
http://www.batteryspace.com/productimages/polymerbattery/3178.jpg
Chemistry Polymer Li-Ion PL605585--- UL listed/UN approved
Capacity: Nominal: 3200 mAh 11.84 Wh
Cycle life: > 500 times at 1C rate
Charging rate 3200 mA Max. (0.5C rate)
Size with tolerance +/- 0.5 mm:
85.5mm L x55mm W x6.5mm H
Discharging Rate:

Standard 3.20 A Max. (1.0 C rate)
Max. 6.4A ( 2C rate)

Operation temperature -20oC - + 60 oC

Data Sheet
Please download the specification of 3.7v 3200 mAh Polymer Li-ion Cell.
Size: 6.4mm (thick) x 55mm (width) x 85mm ( length )
Weight: 2.99 Oz (85 grams)
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 11