x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Secure Digital Cards w/680e

nymax
nymax Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 1:17 AM
#
Couldn't find anything on this in the HCL or existing threads.

Can the 680e read secure digital cards using one of those multi-card (6-in-1, 4-in-1, etc.) PCMCIA adapters? Has anyone got this working?
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 11:08 AM
#
H/PC Elder

nymax - 2005-03-25 11:17 PM

Couldn't find anything on this in the HCL or existing threads.

Can the 680e read secure digital cards using one of those multi-card (6-in-1, 4-in-1, etc.) PCMCIA adapters? Has anyone got this working?

Hi, yes, those multi-card pccard adapters do work. Most of them are 16-bits type, which works in your 680e. (I have not seen one that is 32-bit anyway).

I tried one such card with a memory-stick and it works great on my MP790. This adapter also allows SDs but I didn't have one to try out. But it should almost definitely work as well.

It works well on a notebook too.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 2:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've had a SD card and one of those adaptors, and i cant tell you they play nice with the J680, so you should have no problem. The card was a 512 Mb and it recognized all of it, flawlessly.

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
nymax
nymax Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 5:53 PM
#
snappy, matrixcore,

That information just made my day. Thank you!
 Top of the page
KingoftheRogues Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

WARNING! NEWB QUESTION!!!

Heyas!

What is one of these "secure" cards? Could someone in-the-know post a link to a website for one of these?

I'm new to the 680e world, and I am trying to figure out how to best utilize my system. It sounds like this can access a flashdrive? which is something that I would love to use! However the feedback led me to believe that the USB PCMCIA cards that are compatible with the 680e (USB 1.0) are not compatible with the keydrives and flash drives offered today.

I have learned that I could get a CF card reader, and muchly do the same, but If I could skip needing this extra piece of hardware, I'd appreciate it.

Thx in advance for any advice!

Clint
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 11:39 AM
#
H/PC Elder

King, the Secure cards refer to SecureDigital cards (SD cards). Its a different form factor from CFs (Compact Flash cards).

The 680s and (almost) all HPCs uses either CFs, PCCards or both. 680 does not support USB devices as it does not have USB Host.

Hope that clears up some stuffs ...
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 2:07 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Clint,
The guys are talking about PC Card memory adapters, like these:
http://www.sandisk.com/retail/pca.asp

I have only used the CF type, but according to the guys above, the SD cards work as well. Just pick an adapter for the memory card type you usually use.

If you don't already have any memory card, I recommend CF, because they are somewhat cheaper, especially for the larger capacity ones. Plus they are generally faster. Some bigger, usually professional, digital cameras also use CF for the bigger capacity and faster speeds.

But a lot of smaller digital cameras, other PDAs (aham!), and new laptops also use SD. SD is coming down in prices close to CF, so it's a good choice as well if you will share memcards with these devices.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 2:22 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

You can also get Sony Memory Stick > PC Card adapters which work avec CE
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 45 - Executed queries : 27