x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

NEC 900C, Unfortunate Design Decisions

1 2 3 4
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 9:21 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Sch01ar,

When I originally installed the program, I first downloaded gsp225hpce.zip and successfully unzipped it into 2 folders, ARMRel and MIPSRel. ARMRel contained gsgetfile.dll and GSPlayer2.exe, just as you say. After copying those to the CF and executing, a playlist was created (I think)

If the files I mentioned above are the correct ones for the 900c, then the only question we have is why the files have different extensions after you have emailed them to me. I'm willing to set that aside for now, and instead get your opinion as to whether I have installed the right version. I'm still at the point of not being able to keep all the aliases of all the OS's in mind at once.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
Sch01ar Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 10:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

There are several versions of 2.25. It should look like this below: (apologies to Henri; I took this screengrab from his superb j7xx site)
If it does; you shouldn't have any problem with menus or playlist being clipped.

(gsplayer_s.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments gsplayer_s.jpg (16KB - 1 downloads)
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 1:31 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-03-31 12:29 PM

DonL0001 - 2007-03-31 6:37 AM

This timeout cannot be disabled.

it can. again, with smalltweak :p :rofl: :) seriously, install this great little app (it will install an icon in control panel - in case you can't find it) and you can set/change some great things in it. including this.

Cmonex,

Surprisingly, my downstream experience is that unchecking (disabling) the battery timeout box in Smalltweak isn't a persistent action. Not only will the check be back if Smalltweak is re-entered, but no condition could be found where the actual suspension was prevented.

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 3:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

DonL0001 - 2007-04-01 7:31 PM

Surprisingly, my downstream experience is that unchecking (disabling) the battery timeout box in Smalltweak isn't a persistent action. Not only will the check be back if Smalltweak is re-entered, but no condition could be found where the actual suspension was prevented.

i never had this problem. you sure you're not accidentally clicking the box beside "card battery warning"?

what do you mean by suspension?

if you mean the poweroff, that's in the fourth tab (named power off)

if you want, you can change both these in the registry as well. i just thought smalltweak is easier. anyway i'll post my copy of smalltweak in this post as an attachment.

oh and gsplayer is here: http://izemize.fw.hu/GSPlayer.exe (make sure the downloaded file is 412672 bytes)

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-01 3:20 PM

Attachments
----------------
Attachments stweak.zip (31KB - 3 downloads)
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 3:32 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-01 4:18 PM

DonL0001 - 2007-04-01 7:31 PM

i never had this problem. you sure you're not accidentally clicking the box beside "card battery warning"?

what do you mean by suspension?

if you mean the poweroff, that's in the fourth tab (named power off)

if you want, you can change both these in the registry as well. i just thought smalltweak is easier. anyway i'll post my copy of smalltweak in this post as an attachment.

oh and gsplayer is here: http://izemize.fw.hu/GSPlayer.exe (make sure the downloaded file is 412672 bytes)

Cmonex,

Yes, suspension is as much power off as you can get without removing the batteries. But that's just semantics.

My claim is simple to refute if it's not true.

In Smalltweak, remove the checkmark for battery power to the left of the number textbox. Click OK and leave and then re-enter Smalltweak. On my machine, the checkmark has been restored.

In all cases, the actual hardware operation seen has been consistent with the timeout never actually having being disabled.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 8:25 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

DonL0001 did you ever try the version of smallltweak i posted? what you describe doesn't happen on my 900c's - and i have a LOT of them. enough refuting?

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-01 8:26 PM
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 9:01 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-01 9:25 PM

DonL0001 did you ever try the version of smallltweak i posted? what you describe doesn't happen on my 900c's - and i have a LOT of them. enough refuting?

Cmonex,

Just to be sure, you are saying, among other things, that you can enter Smalltweak, and see a blank, unchecked box for the battery powered timeout option? I can't do this at present.

One possible (likely?) problem is that my Smalltweak is not installed in the Control Panel, but in a folder under Windows.

When I followed your direction to execute a Smalltweak cabinet file on a CF, it asked me for a name (or location?), and the arbitrary name I entered became the folder name under Windows.

What should I enter so that Smalltweak ends up in the same place as on your machines?

If this doesn't fix the problem, we can then try what may or may not be a different version.

Thanks, Don

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 9:08 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

yes i can open smalltweak and the box is still unchecked.

i did not enter anything at all, i just let it install. maybe that's the trick? in any case do try my version.
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-01 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-01 10:08 PM

yes i can open smalltweak and the box is still unchecked.

i did not enter anything at all, i just let it install. maybe that's the trick? in any case do try my version.

Cmonex,

Yes, I was able to install it in the Control Panel, but it worked the same.

I downloaded your attachment, and it apparently extracted the same ARM file as I had used. In any case I installed your version, and got the same results. All of the files mentioned in the readme file were installed where they were supposed to be.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-02 5:03 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-01 8:34 AM

DonL0001: dont know where you see ZL9/ZMB. what file manage are you using? i recommend totalcommander for your pc too (ghisler.com)

Cmonex, Scho10r(sp? don't want to risk my post to check)

I finally tracked this down to MailSafe attachment email quarantine by Zone Alarm Security Suite.

Questionable attachment extensions are renamed to prevent them from executing :

.com --> .ZL6
.exe --> .ZL9
.dll --> .ZMB

etc.

Regards, Don

Edited by DonL0001 2007-04-02 5:05 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-02 8:15 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow. i've always known that zonealarm sucks.

about smalltweak, no idea what you're doing there. i tested it on another 900c again by just pressing enter to OK the dialog and not using the stylus like i did before. it still works fine. i really don't have any more ideas maybe a hard reset?
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-02 8:31 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-02 9:15 AM

about smalltweak, no idea what you're doing there. i tested it on another 900c again by just pressing enter to OK the dialog and not using the stylus like i did before. it still works fine. i really don't have any more ideas :( maybe a hard reset?

Cmonex,

Thanks.

Hard resets are definitely in the future, but I was hoping to get a delivery on a second machine first.

What would be the first 3 or 4 things you would do after a hard reset?

Think of it in terms of what is the best condition for a machine for which you can only do one thing after a hard reset? (or 2,3, or 4 things) Assume that this will be the base for things to come with only CF transfer installations contemplated.

Thanks, Don
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-02 8:58 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i didn't understand the CF transfer part.. if you asked about not using activesync, well i never use it, so don't worry

i would install smalltweak first and disable animation and that card battery thing
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 1:27 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-02 9:15 AM

about smalltweak, no idea what you're doing there. i tested it on another 900c again by just pressing enter to OK the dialog and not using the stylus like i did before. it still works fine. i really don't have any more ideas :( maybe a hard reset?

Cmonex,

I think I've finally resolved the battery timeout discrepancy, and it's at least twice as complicated as you would expect.

1. Hard Reset - no effect, disabling battery timeout with smalltweak (after you re-install it) is still not persistent.

2. Go into Smalltweak and uncheck the battery timeout. Do a soft reset (stylus on bottom). Some of the other functions in Smalltweak specify that they only become effective after a soft reset, but this function isn't mentioned. I think that the soft reset can be done either before or after leaving Smalltweak. Going back into Smalltweak shows the timeout still disabled, unchecked.

3. Enter the Power section in the Control Panel, and look at the battery timeout shown there (1 to 5 seconds). Whether you change the number or not, leaving the Power section by pressing the OK button will enable the timeout all over again, as can be verified by going back to Smalltweak. If you don't want to re-enable the timeout, you must leave the power section by pressing the X button.

EDIT - This explains why I couldn't get the timeout to stay disabled, but it doesn't explain why you could. 900c vs 900c-a?, different firmware versions?

Regards, Don

Edited by DonL0001 2007-04-03 1:35 AM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 1:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh, right! i never go to that tab in the power applet.

...i checked and you're correct.

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-03 1:33 AM
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 71 - Executed queries : 15