x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Sig3 Browser Speed?

tregba
tregba Page Icon Posted 2007-04-03 11:25 PM
#
I currently have a J720 and find the browser speed of IE4 just too slow. I've tried NF3.3 and it is even slower!

I've been thinking of buying the Sig3 but am concerned the browser speed isn't going to be upto scratch. Is the builtin browser (or Opera/NF3.3) alot faster than the J720's one? Is it marginal? How long does it take to open www.cnn.com?

Would greatly appreciate any help on the matter!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-04 12:01 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sig3's IE 5.5 is definitely faster and renders LOTS better. it still isn't as fast as a PC, dont expect anything like that.

BTW turning off the pics on the jornada, i can browse with it ok. btw in IE 5.5 you can ask IE to download a specific image if you want to see it, by right clicking on the placeholder. nice feature

i'll test cnn.com soon... over wifi, right?
 Top of the page
tregba
tregba Page Icon Posted 2007-04-04 12:31 PM
#
So its only marginally faster? The thing is I've got used to Nokia's S60 browser and that thing is FAST and it renders well too! My J720 takes an age to load pages so looking to the Sig3

Oh and yes, that cnn test would be over wifi! Also if I install english MUI can I still install Macromedia Flash 7?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-04 12:32 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

OK test done

PC (for reference as i'm not in the US as cnn.com is..): 5-8 secs (well, 5, and 3 more to finish fully)
sig3: 15 secs without pics, and 20 with pics.
jornada 720: same without pics, and 35 with pics, and it didnt render the page perfectly.

btw where i feel the improvement is mainly the system responsiveness while IE is rendering stuff..

will test with netfront later, opera doesn't work on cenet 4.1. (only 4.2 until redgear comes out)

edit: i see your new post now
not sure if the MUI and flash 7 work well together..i'll test later. about the S60 browser, is it like opera mini where the browser gets the page from a server that pre-renders it for it? can it do any wonders with low resolution S60 devices? i get a headache from low resolution screens if trying to browse.

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-04 12:35 PM
 Top of the page
tregba
tregba Page Icon Posted 2007-04-04 12:58 PM
#
Cheers! I guess that is fast enogh for the speed junkie I am! I'm currently switching between a Nokia N93 and J720 but use the N93 more as the broswer is alot faster. It isn't like Opera Mini that uses a proxy which compresses data - it's the real deal. Only bummer is that the N93 has a measly 320x240 screen for browsing which is VERY fustrating and there's no flash support

Flash is important to me and I've tried v6 on the J720 but it leaves alot to be desired as half the content doesn't even work! I hope v7 is better in this respect.....

If you could see if v7 works with the english MUI I'd be extremely grateful but if not then no worries as I think I'm already sold on this one! Thanks for all the help
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-08 7:54 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

sorry had no time to check it out.. i did now. sorry it wont work with the MUI's.. crazy.. the 6.0 which was specifically written for the sig3 had the same problem!

if i disable the muis in the registry it will work real nice....

edit: OK experimenting with the mui's now. luckily i spent only 10 mins until i found the culprit! it is the mui file for shdocvw.dll. this doesnt play a role in englishizing anyway..

so just delete this mui and flash will work and your sig3 will still be english

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-08 8:04 PM
 Top of the page
tregba Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 6:52 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

That is quite simply fantastic!

As soon as the Sig arrives it will be the 1st thing I install (after the MUI's of course!)
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-09 9:24 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah it is cool it works finally you can get the package from my site with the installation readme (step by step).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.160 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 12