x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

CF max capacity on 680E?

1 2
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 6:17 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Hey, Does anyone know if there is a Max Capacity on CF on the 680? What I am asking is, Is there a limit? I had a camera once that wouldnt work with a CF over 64MB. I see the CFs are up to 4GB.
Thanks
Chris
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 8:33 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Hmmm... Good Question. Try this
http://www.memoryx.net/jornada680680e.html

Edited by Yoldering 2005-03-26 8:35 PM
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 9:05 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Crucial Memory sells a 1GB for $80. Was wondering if that would work. My 256 is almost full with only about 3 hours worth of MP3's. 3 Audio cds converted.
Just found a PQI on Ebay for $59 with shipping. Must be a new company. Just heard of them.
Chris
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 9:14 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

In my search I saw people said that 1GB worked with no prob. Although a lot of the other places said 512mb was the max. Having only a 256mb card myself I don't know first person.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-03-26 11:16 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I've a 1GB Sandisk (The blue ones, not the new UltraII ones) and so far it has worked fine. Somewhere in the forums, C:Amie mentions that the theorethical limit is 32 GB, but not such a card exist, so you shouldn't have problems with any card you can get

Hope this helps
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 8:55 AM
#
H/PC Vanguard

just checked and there are Sandisk 1GB cards on ebay for $65 buy it now price.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 9:28 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

My current card is a SanDisk 256MB Extreme. 80x. Runs fine. Just not enough space. On a sidenote, If I recall correctly, C:AMIE stated that the speed of the card doesnt matter. I went with the Extreme. Figuring that it would matter.
Also found a 2GB SanDisk (Blue) for $161 with shipping. You have to watch the ads. Mainly the Shipping charge seems to run excessively high. So I have seen on a few ads. I can get the 2Gb card at TigerDirect for about $2 more. But then I Know I have a Warranty and exchange policy if it doesnt work properly.
What to do? What to do? That is the Question. Hate to buy a 1GB and have the same problem again. Could probably get about 14 cd's worth on the 1GB.
Chris
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 12:26 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Guess what I found? SanDisk 2.0GB (Blue) for $150(with shipping/Handling) at Ecost.Com. Cheaper than most on Ebay. And I know I would have a Warranty/Return if needed.
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 2:14 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Speed is really down to what the bus can handle. While high bandiwidth USB 2 connectors will have extra space for the memory maker to squeese everything out of the bus, and possibly the option of compression and data optimisation through drivers. There is no documented proof that any of this will work under CE. Especially older models which have limited bandwidth around the motherboard.

CE4 however may well support faster rates, but in the scope of this question that is swings and roundabouts.

Technically CE2.11 will supprot up to a 32GB FAT32 partition. I do not know of anyone who has tested that. However you should be safe with 2GB.
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 2:51 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Tell me this isnt Crazy.
I did some checking on Memory Manufacturers websites. Using their Configurators. Came up with mixed results.
Crucial Memory 128MB
Viking Memory up to 4GB
Edge 512MB CF, 1Gb ATA
Kingston 256Mb
Now How can all 3 come up with diferrent capacities on the same unit?
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 3:01 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

There are going to be a range of reasons.

At the time of release 128 is probably the max available so they followed the documentation.
Viking probably tested a 4GB to conclude that
Edge make it nice and safe for FAT16 and again because CF wasn't larger at the time.

Naturally this is speculation.
The true limitation is when the Firmware controller and File System driver are unable to allocate appropriate blocking resources to map out the data surface. When that happens on either of the two, it will cease to work (at full capacity / at all).
The Microsoft FAT32 file system driver purports to support the usual up to 32GB, however the firmware in the controller... that is an absolute unknown.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 3:19 PM
#
H/PC Elite

anybody willing to be the first in discovering it?
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 3:42 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

My largest CF is 512, and that will work in any H/PC. So have to deal me out on this one
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 3:58 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Well, Guess I will be the first to find out when I get it. Had a problem with a camera once. Cards over 64MB wouldnt work. Unit didnt save the pics.
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-03-27 4:09 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

The camera must have had a major firmware problem there then. Did you check with the manufacturer for updates?
Anything under 2GB shouldn't be a problem on 2.10 and above. I wouldn't recommend spluring for a 1.0 or 2.0 device, although concievably it should work up to the 2048MB point.

The first real challenge will be at 8192MB and the 8GB (7.8 really) ATAPI cutout. Depends how "Generic" the Windows CE ATA driver is.
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.218 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9