x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

mr-mac Page Icon Posted 2007-04-08 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Hi,

Just wondered if Sig3 ownes had a free choice of wi-fi card which one they would choose...

Getting a Sig 3 and want to get most reliable card.

I did a search as best I could but mostly found set-up help for diffrent cards

Thanks

John
 Top of the page
iamjoe Page Icon Posted 2007-04-08 4:35 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

grab an intel 2011b cf. it is an oem product=symbol 4131=sony wl-1?? (ori. for palm)

i used one before on s3

pros: good reception; low power consumption

Cons: no official ce.net driver; use hacked 2003 driver; no way to input ssid, had 2 turn on AP's ssid broadcast function

Some SD WIfi Cards work too:

C-guys sd wifi w/ official S3 driver. Yah, it is an official driver for s3, not just ce.net 4.1

i did not use sd wifi on s3.

Edited by iamjoe 2007-04-08 4:37 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-08 4:42 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

no such thing as best wifi card exists IMO

my perfect wifi card would be CF, low power, with good range, with an antenna that can be pushed in like the 3com xjack, but would still have an external connector to connect an extra antenna, drivers working with all the CE versions down to CE 2.0 and up to CE 5.0, and this driver includes IP info, renew/release info, AP scanner with select/connect to AP button, and works with ministumbler and the like. it should also have a button to turn card off or on (adjustable options depending on antenna position like on the 3com xjack). oh and the driver shouldn't consume more than the current prism drivers. finally, it can do WPA, WPA-PSK, and 802.11g. on cenet, the driver must work together with wzc well. did i leave something out?

my 3com xjack has the pushable antenna so it is like an internal wifi, has the cool options for that in the driver, has AP scanner but it is PCMCIA and will only work on the jornada 7xx.
my senao cf wifi is CF but its prism driver doesnt offer many extras (on the sig3 it works well with wzc though, so that is a good point for the driver options). it is low power enough and has a smallish antenna, and the range is fair. can do WPA too, on cenet 4.2. will work with all wifi scanners.
my buffalo is a nice orinoco chipset, has external connector, range is very good (or so i heard), driver is very nice, lots of those options, wifi scanners work with it, but it is pcmcia again.
my sdio spectec is sd and i dont trust its range with its small antenna but at least it doesnt stick out much. dont think it would work with scanners.
my nokia d211 is gprs additonally to the wlan, way too cool, and knows 152bit wep as an extra. nice driver except AP scanner sucks. forget wifi scanners or cenet. pcmcia sadly.
my dlink dcf660w is CF, has a nice driver but should work with prism too.. its own driver isn't recognized by wifi scanners properly. antenna is too big but good reception. works well with cenet too and low power enough.

on the sig3, the senao the dlink and the spectec work fine but i use the senao.

edit: iamjoe, the intel 2011b cf is very poor with hpc2000 at least. i didnt buy it for the sig3 either.

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-08 4:53 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.187 - Cached queries : 60 - Executed queries : 12