x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

the on button on my 900c-a doesnt do ANYTHING!

macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 2:03 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I bought it off ebay, it came, perfect condition, seller claims it all works, comes with sync cable...

But..

When I push the on button on it, it does nothing, its plugged in via a/c adapter.

I'm very disappointed, Please, does anyone know how to fix this?

If you know any information regarding this it would be GREATLY APECIATED.
 Top of the page
hpcnut.co.uk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 2:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

How long have you left it to charge? Leave it for at least 4 hours. Also on the underside make sure the battery is locked in to place (The padlock symbol) Also make sure there is no dust on the battery connectors and you should be good. Any more problems post back. Thanks.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 2:13 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

hpcnut.co.uk - 2007-04-10 3:06 PM

How long have you left it to charge? Leave it for at least 4 hours. Also on the underside make sure the battery is locked in to place (The padlock symbol) Also make sure there is no dust on the battery connectors and you should be good. Any more problems post back. Thanks.

The charging light is orange (its only been charging for 10 minutes), but when I remove the battery it turns green?

If it is because the battery cant power the unit, wouldn't the unit just get its power from the AC adapter? or does it look for power on the battery first?
 Top of the page
hpcnut.co.uk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 2:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I think the unit needs power in its battery to actually power the unit even when its on ac charge. Leave it for at least 20-30 mins and see what happens. When I got my 900c in Jan I left it for 4+hrs to make sure it would power up properly. This worked for me.
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 2:25 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

hpcnut.co.uk - 2007-04-10 3:16 PM

I think the unit needs power in its battery to actually power the unit even when its on ac charge. Leave it for at least 20-30 mins and see what happens. When I got my 900c in Jan I left it for 4+hrs to make sure it would power up properly. This worked for me.

Thanks for your help

Anyway I thought he may of sent me the wrong one, because on ebay it said a 900. This is a 900c-a

and the cf eject button works, unlike the description said, but if this is working, and the right one. I'm not complaining

I'm just going out to the store now, when I come back, if it wont power up, I'll tell you.

THANKS!
- David Z
 Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 3:27 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I'm affraid after the wait, nothing has happened and the problem still exists
 Top of the page
hpcnut.co.uk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 3:30 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

D'oh...Have you tried pressing the soft reset button?
 Top of the page
Rich Hawley Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 3:53 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Guru

The unit should power up without any battery in it whatsoever. It should run off the a/c adapter just fine. Suggest you pull both batteries to perform a hard reset and then plug it in and see what happens. If it doesn't turn on then, send it back.

Rich
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 3:58 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

David,

All of your symptoms still possibly are consistent with a battery which is either severely discharged or incapable of being charged. If you leave it on charge for another 12 hours and don't see any change, in either the charge indicator or the unit showing some sign of life, then you likely have a non-recoverable problem.

Then you have the question of whether to just ask for a new battery to try, or to send back the entire unit.

What you apparently have in the 900c-a is a 900 base unit, updated by NEC in firmware to a 900c. Which you want is entirely a matter of personal preference, with different operating systems and supplied internal application software. Most people seem to prefer the 900c, but once you have a working unit you can install either firmware set, (with Cmonex's help), to make either a 900 or a 900c.

Good Luck, Don

Top of the page
macmee Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 4:46 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

Thanks everyone, after awhile of charging, it turned on?

the seller said after a full charge, if something is not right with the battery he'll replace it.

All your support rocked!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 5:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

DonL0001 - 2007-04-10 9:58 PM

David,

All of your symptoms still possibly are consistent with a battery which is either severely discharged or incapable of being charged. If you leave it on charge for another 12 hours and don't see any change, in either the charge indicator or the unit showing some sign of life, then you likely have a non-recoverable problem.

no, the 900c works fine without any battery so i doubt it is just a bad battery.

macmee - 2007-04-10 8:13 PM

The charging light is orange (its only been charging for 10 minutes), but when I remove the battery it turns green?

yes the green light is normal.

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-10 5:49 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 5:50 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

one way to test if it is just the ON/OFF button being wrong:

remove all batteries (remove backup battery too), remove all cards from the slots as well (this is important). press and hold R and F keys and keep them pressed, while reinserting main battery (yes tricky position - or maybe just plug AC in). do not release the keys for 5 secs. if it still doesn't turn on, release the keys. note: you never need to press the ON key in this process! so if it agian still doesn't turn on then it is worse than just the ON button.

edit: ok this works only if you have at least bootloader 4.5.1-6. but most of the 900c's on ebay right now have this anyway

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-10 5:52 PM
 Top of the page
DonL0001 Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 5:58 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2007-04-10 6:50 PM

one way to test if it is just the ON/OFF button being wrong:

remove all batteries (remove backup battery too), remove all cards from the slots as well (this is important). press and hold R and F keys and keep them pressed, while reinserting main battery (yes tricky position - or maybe just plug AC in). do not release the keys for 5 secs. if it still doesn't turn on, release the keys. note: you never need to press the ON key in this process! so if it agian still doesn't turn on then it is worse than just the ON button.

edit: ok this works only if you have at least bootloader 4.5.1-6. but most of the 900c's on ebay right now have this anyway

I interpreted David's last post to say that he had seen signs of life with just further charging. But your 'R' and 'F' key story is really intriguing. Where does this come from and what further mysteries remain to be revealed?

Regards, Don
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-04-10 7:20 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

well this is just to invoke a RAM OS load (i.e. bootloader tries to boot the OS off a CF card), the trick is that turning the 900c on does not require pressing the ON key in this case.

edit: i did not see his last post.

Edited by cmonex 2007-04-10 7:21 PM
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.238 - Cached queries : 70 - Executed queries : 13