x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

New Jlime Mongo Test Image 15/4/2007

1 2
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-15 6:37 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I have been testing this new Jlime Mongo image for Jornada 720 today and it is much better than the last weeks one,it also has the bonus of added Opie-IRC so is of more use and is nice to use.
If you want to test the new image all you need is a 64Mb CF,yes thats right just a 64Mb CF,partition the first 2mb as fat16 and bootable,rest as ext2.
Grab the files here http://devfiles.jlime.com/7XX_Mongo_1.0.0-Testing/
edit the params.txt to 32mb instead of 64mb

----- PUT FILES BELOW ON FAT PARTITION-------
http://devfiles.jlime.com/7XX_Mongo_1.0.0-Testing/zImage-2.6.19-rc6
http://devfiles.jlime.com/7XX_Mongo_1.0.0-Testing/params.txt remember and edit params.txt to 32 Mb
http://devfiles.jlime.com/7XX_Mongo_1.0.0-Testing/jlinexec.exe

-----EXTRACT FILE BELOW TO EXT2 PARTITION-----
http://devfiles.jlime.com/7XX_Mongo_1.0.0-Testing/opie-image-Mongo-jornada7xx.rootfs.tar.bz2

then place CF into J720 and run Jlinexexc.exe from file browser Wink

Remember this is very Alpha but so far as stable as a Beta so if you come accross a bug please join the Bug Tracker on
http://jlime.com/bugtracker/main_page.php and report your findings under Mongo / userlands

Thanks and have fun testing
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 10:51 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

New improved image uploaded today,use same links and instructions as above.
New theme and bug fixes
 Top of the page
Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 12:20 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

hagisbasheruk,

Could you please explain why JLime is better than other distros - Familiar, NetBSD/FreeBSD, Gentoo Embedded, Debian? Thank you
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-16 2:26 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Kolya - 2007-04-16 5:20 PM

hagisbasheruk,

Could you please explain why JLime is better than other distros - Familiar, NetBSD/FreeBSD, Gentoo Embedded, Debian? Thank you

It is just another Distro to give users more choice and bring the Jornada upto date with new programs/functions.
Jlime on the Jornada 720 is in its early stages and the above links are just the base system which the rest of the Opie feed will be built on.The distro is based on Open Embeded and may at some point have the GPE desktop to go along with the Opie one thats being tested.
720 Degrees Linux is based on Debian and has the full debian repositories at your disposal,so it is just a mater of choice,choose what you like best or use them all like i do.
Remember that the Jlime Opie image is Beta but so far the latest image is very stable,the rest of the feed is being worked on as we speak so it shouldn't be to long before the official release is up.
Kristofer at Jlime is the current Linux Kernel maintainer for the Jornada so you will find a little jlime in all your OSes
Most of the Linux Jornada developers work together regardless of which distro the are working on,you'll find them on irc.freenode.net #jlime
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-17 11:17 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

New improved image uploaded today 17th April 2007 ,use same links and instructions as above.
New Jlime theme and bug fixes,looks like there could be a Public Release the way things a chugging along.
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-18 3:28 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

New improved image uploaded late last night 17th April 2007 ,use same links and instructions as above. WhooHoo two test images in the same day,this latest image has Konqurer Embeded which is just awsome ,the program loads up super fast and page loading and page display is very fast
Some more visual tweaks have been done,expect mabey one more tweak to visuals and possibly a different file manager,i have suggested Midnight Commander but you may have a suggestion,come along to irc.freenode.net [SERVER] #jlime [CHANNEL] use Xchat or the Opie IRC program on your Jlime Distro
 Top of the page
Kolya Page Icon Posted 2007-04-23 11:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

hagisbasheruk,

thanks for explanation.

BTW, I was not able to boot linux from your previous distro (not that one updated on Apr. 17). During (or before) the boot process it writes that can't find necessary files on hda2 (I tried many times, changed hda2 to different hdXs, etc.). Familiar+Opie distro from RTFM runs ok.

Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-24 7:57 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Konq/e? Finally.
 Top of the page
dszego
dszego Page Icon Posted 2007-04-27 6:42 PM
#
I'm using the 2.6.19-rc5 you've got up... but I've got no touchscreen from it, nor power button.

The distro you have up has no /lib/modules/2.6.19... shouldn't it?

Any hints?
 Top of the page
hagisbasheruk Page Icon Posted 2007-04-28 7:26 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

run ts_calibrate

Power off button will be fixed soon,thats a kernel matter that is being worked on
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-04-29 8:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

dszego: If you have no modules, you extracted the image wrong, or didnt format your storage card, etc etc. It's all there and works.

Cheers.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2007-04-29 6:56 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Yeah. Power button is actually not kernel related. They are putting that into the userland, by using a script/daemon, to avoid approval issues.
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-04-30 9:37 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Is this a good distro for Linux newbies?

I'm trying to get my hands wet -- don't know what all the command lines are --and just getting a version up and running is driving me crazy! It seems you have to know a lot of commands just to run an install!

Seems a GUI would be easiest, but I read in another post that J720 won't support it?
 Top of the page
bvjones Page Icon Posted 2007-04-30 9:37 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Is this a good distro for Linux newbies?

I'm trying to get my hands wet -- don't know what all the command lines are --and just getting a version up and running is driving me crazy! It seems you have to know a lot of commands just to run an install!

Seems a GUI would be easiest, but I read in another post that J720 won't support it?
 Top of the page
RTFM Page Icon Posted 2007-05-01 10:02 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Not sure where you read that the 7xx couldnt support gui's, as thats not true. There are numerous gui environments that run just fine on it. The gui installer for jlime is not working on the 7xx series yet, but the testing images( opie, gpe or icewm ) can be installed quite easily by hand. Instructions can be found on their forum for doing so, or better yet, the first post in this thread.

Cheers
 Top of the page
1 2
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 31