x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

ActiveSync problems with Jornada 680

Mentat Tir Page Icon Posted 2007-05-04 11:15 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I just purchased a docking cradle for my Jornada 680, but I'm having trouble making a connection to a PC running Windows XP. I have the cradle connected to the PC with a USB cable. When I turn on the J680, it comes up with the standard "Connecting to Host" window, so I assume the J680 acknowledges that there is a connection. However, the PC doesn't want to respond to the connection.

I've tried using Activesync 3.8 and 4.5, but neither work. Firewalls and Norton Anti-Virus have been disabled.

On the J680, I'm using ' Serial Port @ 115k option in Communication Properties. The "USB Connection" option is not listed (as shown in CESD-S-0007.) Could this be my problem? If so, it there a USB driver that I need to download?

Edited by Mentat Tir 2007-05-04 11:18 AM
 Top of the page
liligis Page Icon Posted 2007-05-06 6:01 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hi, Mentat Tir, who told you you could connect a J680 to PC using a USB cable? You need a serial cable which is sold with the Jornada or you can buy it at eBay or similar bargain sites. Actually, be careful when unplugging this USB cable because your Jornada serial port could get damaged

Jornada 720 and following models do have USB connection but J680 and 680e doesn't. Cable terminal on the Jornada side and serial ports in docking cradle and Jornada itself can be confused by many people with a USB connector.

And you better use Active Sync 3.8, so uninstall AS 4.5 and leave 3.8 installed.
You can get the J680 manual in http://www.hp.com site (I've tried just now to send you the link and could not get it, it's strange, don't know why ), so do the following (I assume you already have the serial cable):

1) Connect the docking cradle to AC power
2) Connect the serial cable as follows: the 9-pin terminal of the cable to serial port in your PC and the other terminal (the one that looks as a USB) to the docking cradle port.
3) Open and run Active Sync
4) Carefully sit the Jornada (switched off) onto the cradle (you'll hear a click). 5) The Jornada will start on automaticallly and you`ll see a message on Active Sync dialog box saying "Connecting" and then "Connected".
6) A dialog box in Active Sync asks you whether you want to synchronize to your PC or being just a guest (the latter allows you only to move files, create folders, installl programs to the Jornada and so on).
In PC go to C: and look for a folder named Handheld Device or so, double click it and there you can see the files and move them to your PC or viceversa. (Some files will be converted whiel migrating them specially Word and Power Point.

Of course, if you have a Compact Flash card installed in the Jornada you can save your files there and use a card reader connected to your PC via USB to move the files betwen them. it's easier than using the serial cable . I don't have a card reader yet so I use the cable. I must be careful because the little plastic thing that makes click in the cradle when putting Jornada on broke off : one day, so instead of using AC power now I use the long lasting battery (much heavier) to make pressure on Jornada to mantain the connection. But it works fine.

Good luck , send me an email (it's in this site in members section) and I can send you the manual.

Liligis

Top of the page
liligis Page Icon Posted 2007-05-06 6:41 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I kept on browsing and looking for the Jornadas' user guides and I've just discovered they (Hewlett Packard) removed the manuals from the site. Unbelievable!! I hadn't browsed there anymore since may weeks ago ´cause I had dowloaded all of them (User guide, Short installation guide and Addendum).

Do yo anyone of you suspect why HP did that? Now they´ve put something sayin' that they give these manuals to the public for printing purposes only but they are not there anyway... (is there anybody selling them..?).

So Mentat Tir, write me and I can send them to you (they are in English).
Bye.
 Top of the page
liligis Page Icon Posted 2007-05-06 6:41 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I kept on browsing and looking for the Jornadas' user guides and I've just discovered they (Hewlett Packard) removed the manuals from the site. Unbelievable!! I hadn't browsed there anymore since may weeks ago ´cause I had dowloaded all of them (User guide, Short installation guide and Addendum).

Do yo anyone of you suspect why HP did that? Now they´ve put something sayin' that they give these manuals to the public for printing purposes only but they are not there anyway... (is there anybody selling them..?).

So Mentat Tir, write me and I can send them to you (they are in English).
Bye.
 Top of the page
Mentat Tir Page Icon Posted 2007-05-07 9:10 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks for all your help, liligis.

The docking cradle I bought (F1822A) does have a port for a standard USB cable. There is also a serial port on the cradle that is identical to the one on the back of the J680. The ports are separated by a small piece of plastic that slides back and forth to cover the port not in use. (see image below)

Are you saying that I cannot use the USB port? The fact that the J680 is trying to establish a link implies that it recognizes that the cable is plugged in and that it is connected to a PC USB port.

Sorry for the confusion on my end. I just need a little clarification before I spend another $30-$40 on a dumb little serial cable.
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-05-07 3:16 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

That port was designed for the Jornada 700 series. The 680 doesn't support synching by USB.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2007-05-07 5:46 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Mentat Tir - 2007-05-07 3:10 PM

Are you saying that I cannot use the USB port? The fact that the J680 is trying to establish a link implies that it recognizes that the cable is plugged in and that it is connected to a PC USB port.

it only means it recognizes a cable was plugged in, not more
 Top of the page
Mentat Tir Page Icon Posted 2007-05-08 8:51 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Oh well...back to the drawing board.

I should have just come to the experts here in the first place. Thanks for the help!
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.156 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10