x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Any hope for a broken HP 660 lx?

woodnboats
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 9:26 PM
#
I dropped my 660 lx (upgaded from 620), and drove the SD card into the PCMCIA adapter. Pulled that out, and it seems OK, at least I can read and write the card through my PC card reader.

But there is something wrong with the handheld itself. Keyboard and screen function are erratic; "enter" key doesn't work, screenprint function buttons on the side of the screen don't work, on resetting, there is a continuous "keypress" sound, which will go away if I press a key.

All in all, I think something is broken or disconnected inside.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is it feasible to try to get inside this unit and look for the obvious?

Or alternatively, is there any source for repairs available.

The only smart thing I did was a complete and immediate back up!

Thanks for any help.

Kirk Messinger
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 9:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Sorry for your troubles! You can take the unit apart and check for loose wires, but you may need to go ahead and upgrade to a higher model. There are plenty of links for units on the forum pages. Newer unit is more cost effective anyway. Can't find any other help. Sorry
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-03-31 9:56 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Wow. You could probably send it to HP, but most likeley that would cost you more than buying a new one online. You could possibly open it up and see what is wrong with the screen, but I don't think you would be able to fix it. As far as the ketyboard, pop oft the enter key and see if there is any visible damage under it. It may just be in wrong. I remember a similar thing happened to my 810-C....screen problems are not good. Just a random guess, something may be wrong with the touchscreen receiver thingy (that sheet under the screen...don't remember what it is) or the wire that connects it, on that portion of the wire.

-Good luck...
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 6:51 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Power it down, removed primary, secondary and AC power. Remive anything else that can be removed, including the ROM chip.
You'll need a T6 screwdriver and anti-static precautions.

Check the motherboard for impact damage, as wella s all the bus cables for the keyboard and VGA. Reseat all the components and cross your fingers.

Not much else you can do.
 Top of the page
woodnboats Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 12:44 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Thanks, Chris.

I was afraid that might be the case. Fortunately, I have a T6 driver from my misadventures with a Palm M505.

What I was hoping was that there was some kind of third-party repair service, as there are with Palms.

I found for screw under the main battery. Do you know of any others? And is there any source you know of for take-apart instructions?

Thanks again,

Kirk
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-01 1:03 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

hp never issued servicing guides alas.

usedhandhelds.com do offer a repair service so I'm told. They are in the US of A.
hp will not look at a h/pc for less than £250, then there is the rest.

Don't forget to fill in your location in your profile so we know where you are.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.140 - Cached queries : 61 - Executed queries : 10