x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Cash Organizer 2000

1 2 3 4 5
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 4:38 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Maybe i'm gonna get flamed for this, but anyway:
Software makers should have a different price structure according to countries. I've seen an article wrote by Miguel de Icaza (GNOME founder) that explains why. He used to live in Mexico, he was born in here, and over here, the prices are very different than in the US. for example, over here, a 355ml (12oz imperial) soda is worth about $0.4 USD ($5 Mexican Pesos), i dunno exactly how much does it cost in the USA or in the UK, but i believe it's quite more pricey. Or a cab, over here i believe $1-2 USD ($11.5-$23 MXP) is pretty normal, but i believe in US/UK something like $10 USD is more appropriate. Another example, a cheap meal could be less than $5 USD ($60 MXP). Going to the cinema costs here around $6 USD ($70MXP) a ticket

A software producer that has understood this situation is Linspire. for example, Linspire5 in english costs about $45 USD, but Linspire5 espaƱol (in spanish) is about $13 USD ($150 Mexican Pesos), which is WAY more affordable.

For us that live in third world countries, the things are a bit different, so you see, for me $40 for a piece of software is expensive, it's about ten times the minimum wage in the country!!!

Hope you understand this and don't flame me, is just that things are different.
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 4:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Flaming is against the rules.

What you said makes a lot of sense..
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 8:21 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Snappy! - 2005-04-03 4:29 PM

In any case, HPC developers can continue to price their apps at $40 while developers for PPC and Palms roll in the money with $10~$20 pricing. Granted, I know that the economies of scale favors them, I just stated the reasoning that I believe is at the back of many people's mind. It may not be sound reasoning or valid at all, but the numbers point in that direction. And that is how I feel anyway.

Besides, did you miss the point that I made about my willingness to fork out up to $50 for a proper browser?

Snappy

I understand what you are saying, but I don't think the overpriced software (which is a matter of opinion) is the reason that HPC users have not supported the software developers. I think that most HPC software (with a few exceptions) falls within the $10-$20 price range you mentioned, but even at that price range not enough users are buying the software to support or justify the developers continuing upgrades and release of new titles.

It's nice to know that you are willing to pay $50 for a proper browser....best of luck in your quest in locating one.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 10:46 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Hurricane John - 2005-04-04 6:21 AM

It's nice to know that you are willing to pay $50 for a proper browser....best of luck in your quest in locating one.

Unfortunately ... no one is willing to make one for that price!!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 11:28 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben - 2005-04-02 11:52 PM

I agree with everything you say, I have actually made similar comments in another thread ... except for your choice of financial software.

Ben

I have nothing against Cash Organizer 2000 - it's powerful and it does much more that Keep Track by Ilium Soft. The thing I don't like is their registration process or rather how in an effort to protect their software from illegal distribution they created a 2 part registration number process.

The first number is automatically created for your HPC by the software and the second registration number is supplied to you by the developer when you register. This means that even though you paid for the software for your personal use, you can only load it on one HPC. If you purchase a new HPC or want to transfer it to another HPC, you can't without contacting the developer for a new registration number. This is also true if your HPC crashes and you need to perform a hard reset.....you need to contact the developer for help with a new second number.

Now you can backup and transfer the software if you have a version saved on your desktop, but if that is corrupted or you update to a new desktop PC - you end up with the same problem.

I understand why the developer set things up this way, it gives him/her more control over his/her software, but it's a pain for the actual user/buyer.

In a worst case senario - what happens if the developer goes out of business - right ! You pray that nothing happens because otherwise you're SOL

The whole thing kind of reminds me of buying a ebook from the folks at Mobipocket - have you ever tried that?

PS - Uncle Ben - if I'm wrong about this please let me know! As I said - I like the actual software.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 1:53 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I agree 100% - their registration process sucks, big time. I circumvented the potential problems by doing regular backups to a CF card within CO and by backing up my entire device & registry once a week. I copy the full backup file to my desktop once a month. I still don't like it - when I guy software, I expect to have a full license and not be left at the mercy of some small developer who can indeed go belly up any time. But considering the value of the "investment", I'm not too worried about it.

Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-19 10:32 AM
#
Hi guys, I am just curious how do you like Cash Organizer 2000? Besides having to get a new registration number. I have been looking to find a good money program to run on my Intermec 6651. I have MS Money 2004 but not compatible with hpc 2000. So I am having to find an older version like Money 2000 or 2001..

Is this Cash Organizer a stand alone program?

Oh while I'm here I do have an old version Of Quicken 2000... Does anyone know if this has a pocket money that can be downloaded.

Thanks
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-05-19 11:41 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

armymom84

Now that Iluim Soft has removed Keep Track from circulation, the choices in this catagory are pretty limited - either Cash Organizer or try to find an old copy of Pocket Money 2000/2001.

I don't own Cash Organizer 2000, but I did test out a trial version and I was very impressed. It has many more features that Keep Track and is a lot nicer than Pocket Money.

So, if you don't mind their registration policy and are ok with the price, then I don't think you will be disappointed.

Hopefully, Uncle Ben will comment on your question, since I know he uses Cash Organizer 2000 and thinks highly of it.

Regards - John
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-05-19 5:47 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Hi there ArmyMom84 - as indicated by StormyJohn, I have indeed been using Cash Organizer since 2001 - it is a great application, and as John said, I doubt that you will be disappointed.

But be prepared for a bit of a learning curve, not weeks, but a couple of days at least. This is not your typical ABC/123 simple Joe applet - this is a fully loaded financial application that will enable you to track credit card and banking transactions, and record them to expense categories, projects, etc.

Cash Organizer 2000 comes with Cash Reports, which enables you to drill down your expenses or projects and export your report to Excel for further analysis. Cash Reports is a data mining utility that you will find extremely useful.

What's missing. Well, for one thing, Inesoft has abandoned the Handheld PC platform - there has been NO revision since 2000, and the odds are that there won't be anything new anytime soon. There is no split-transaction - such that if you have a purchase that should be split two ways (i.e., restaurant, entertaintment), you can only book the transaction to ONE expense category.

Budgeting functionality is also missing - note that both of these features were incorporated into subsequent revisions for the Pocket PC platform ... but Inesoft never carried forward those enhancements to the HPC platform.

Hope this help! Best thing to do is to download it and try it for 30-days. You will be impressed. Cheers!
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-20 9:35 AM
#
Thanks Uncle Ben,

I will give it a try and let you know in a few days.
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-01 1:50 PM
#
Uncle Ben, I have to you tell that I am truly happy with this product. Cash Organizer 2000. I have to admit. I have used MS Money for so long at first I did not like it. Until I downloaded MS Pocket Money CE and it sucked big time.. Then I decided to re download the Cash Organizer 2000 and after exploring it and playing around with it. I realized that it was able to do what I needed for it to do. And it is awesome!!! So I went to buy it. And yes I have to agree the registration process sucks!! So, now I am waiting on the 2nd resgistration number. I to back my data up to a cf card and on my desktop I save my files to a cd.

Anyone who is looking for a stand alone pocket money for handhelds. This is the one hands down. Well worth the $29.95. I am very pleased.

Thanks again Uncle Ben...
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-06-02 4:09 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Glad you like it! Considering all that it does and the price, it's really a true bargain ins't it? Have you played around with Cash Reports yet? Any way, take care, glad I was able to help.

Cheers!
 Top of the page
armymom84
armymom84 Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 7:40 AM
#
Hi Uncle Ben, Yes I played around with the cash reports. I love the drill downs. Yes, it is truly a bargain. I am still playing around with it and discovering new things.

I do have a question for you. It has delete the old tranactions.. I have it set for 3 months. Does this keep the previous totals as beginning balances? And also does it delete it from the report side completely or does it also keep the totals for the beginning balance?

What is data base clearing? Does it clear out everything and make all zero balances?

Last question can the reports export to excel pocket? Which would be great also.

Thanks Uncle Ben!!
 Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 11:01 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

Uncle Ben - 2005-06-02 4:09 PM

Glad you like it! Considering all that it does and the price, it's really a true bargain ins't it? Have you played around with Cash Reports yet? Any way, take care, glad I was able to help.

Cheers!

Wouldn't it be great if they added some of the graphing capabilities that they've implimented in the Pocket PC version?
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-06-03 10:19 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

You bet, + split transactions, budgeting functionality, etc.

Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 67 - Executed queries : 10