x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

bSquare Power Handheld on eBay

takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 1:57 AM
#
H/PC Elder

It's prolly too late for everyone now, sorry. 12 hrs left as of this message.
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=6381662461

Only £77 at the moment. I know it's not an HPC, but close enough. For the specs, 400Mhz, .NET 4.1, VGA... I figure this is quite a nice unit, even if I cannot use it's GSM/GPRS features in Canada. I asked the seller already, he/she ships to UK only. Oh well.

What's everyone opinion about this model? I know it wouldn't replace anyone's HPC, but at that price it seems to be a nice toy. The HPC's Mini Me
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 7:53 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I do not know all tha tmuch about them, having never seen one in the flesh - there for I amsurprised that it is in the UK!
I do know that bSquare licensed / built a lot of applications for it, including a new Windows CE shell (which is was CE4 was meant for).
They didn't receive much market penetration as really the Pocket PC's integrated Microsoft path was more appealing to the general consumer.

The devices were a great example of what a OEM can achieve when they put thei rminds to it, and a strng precursor to the specification which the main OEM's picked up on in the months and years following its release.
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 8:09 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

The screen looks really small. That would be the show stopper for me right there, period, over and out!
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 3:28 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Haha
It's quite funny that, compared to an HPC, you are absolutely right about that screen being small, even smaller than that of the Nexio and Sig 3. But in the land of PPCs, that screen size and resolution is the largest they get. I belong to a local PPC club, and these guys all want PPCs with screens like that, hehe.

TBH tho, I don't know how they can read stuff off that. I'm interested in this unit for entertainment that doesn't involve reading; games and videos
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 3:02 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

Did anyone buy this in the end?

Also why isn't it a hpc? Is it because of the non-clamshell design?

Jamm.
 Top of the page
takwu Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 3:36 AM
#
H/PC Elder

Well, looks like somebody won it and met the reserve price

BTW, there's another one on eBay UK currently, altho at a higher starting bid and for Europe only:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5212315885

Why is it not an HPC? Well, there isn't any official definition that I know of. Even the Handheld PC OS can be found in many different forms of CE devices. The rough "idea" of a true HPC is a PDA with a "fingers" keyboard (trying to avoid the whole touch-typing debate here). I called bSquare not an HPC because it has a "thumbs" keyboard
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 6:15 AM
#
I remember seeing this in Pocket PC Magazine (http://www.pocketpcmag.com) when it was announced by bSquare quite a while back!

I always had the impression that it would only be unleashed upon the vertical market however (the version on ebaY above is a vodafone-branded consumer device)...

They look like quite a good device, although apparently they're quite big.
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 7:50 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'm hoping to get the one on ebay. No-one lese bid

The guy sold it a few days ago but the guy was a NIGERIAN scammer and he wanted it sent COD to someone elses address.

He tried to sell it on modaco a while ago but at £300+ it was too much for me.

Anyway i'll keep watching and maybe i'll go for it.

I am however watching a bunch of 720's and a couple of simpads too
 Top of the page
CybaCowboy
CybaCowboy Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 10:35 AM
#
Jammie,

UsedHandhelds.com has plenty of Jornada 720s available, refurbished and re-packaged, for fairly reasonable prices!

I've bought lots of things from them and had nothing but good experiences...
 Top of the page
jammie*dodger Page Icon Posted 2005-06-29 2:17 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Thanks but i'd already ruled them out due to the import duty. They also seem a little more expensive than what i've seen on ebay here in the UK.

I'm sure i'll get something soon
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.25 - Cached queries : 64 - Executed queries : 10