x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Do you like your HPC or not?!

1 2 3 4 5 6
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 2:24 PM
#
I'd have to say that all in all I'm very please with my MobilePro 790 and like it very much. Here's why:

Firstly, the keyboard. The keyboard makes the device huge but WHAT A DIFFERENCE it makes while chatting on IRC/MSN/AIM/whatnot and writing emails, writing word files and who knows what else. I rearranged my arrow keys the first chance I got (thanks hpcnec.com ) and was amazed by how easily I adapted from my desktop keyboard or my old laptop keyboard. This is definately what makes the device.

Secondly, the screen. Within 10 seconds I realized how much of a huge drop the screen was going to be from my Axim (which had an amazing screen)... but over the past few days the size and resolution of my MP's screen have won me over. The first time I really realized how great the hvga screen is was lying in bed reading an ebook.. and being amazed at how I didn't have to scroll down constantly. I love it.

Finally, I love the expansion.. it's great that I can have a 512MB cf card in there and still stick in my old pcmcia wifi card and have internet access. The MP seems to freeze for a bit when I take out the wifi card but comes back to life after a minute or two (though putting it back in doesn't seem to work right until I reset the device).

The things that seem lacking are mostly software support (the IRC client I'm using, IRCce is great for the most part but lacks some simple things, but iMov is a real pain in the ass as a messenger). I don't use my MP to actually check my email (just sync with my main pc) but I know I wouldn't be able to check my gmail with the built in client. I'd love to see some kind of theming support but can live without.

That's about it.. overall I love it and I think my software problems will go away as I learn to code myself and solve my own problems!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 5:15 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

heheh, you can check your gmail with IE on the MP... just try it...

maybe Qmail3 runs on mips too... (email client and can download gmail emails)

you don't have to put up with imov...

theming support... search for it here

i absolutely agree with you on the advantages...

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-29 5:19 PM
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 6:57 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

cmonex - 2005-05-29 5:39 PM

Wessex_nut, i think you're right about doing not enough research on software & communication with your phone, etc

Sometimes, the answer is staring right at me! I had to find a useful replacement for my Psion Gold Card (Reliable worker on my Pocket PC! ), so I dug out the D-Link DME-560CT modem+ethernet combo card, I had problems getting it to work originally (as mentioned elsewhere), but I forced loaded the NE2000.dll drivers, got nothing. Un-inserted it, much later on (to try it out, just for my father who was searching for the drivers!) plugged in those magic CAT5 cables (not BNC connectors here! , plugged in the other end, while fighting my father to give the damm card back, the computer asked me if it should go ahead and use the card on 20% battery level, said yes and then I noticed a distinct lack of dialogue. Opened up IE and the damm thing was working all along! Much easier to check my emails now, despite my laptop being forced online.

try this page: http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/
it's for the jornada 720 but many apps have a MIPS + hpc pro version for your 780...

Had a quick look, but will continue

and communication with a mobile phone is possible, i always use my j728 for sending sms, editing&backing up my phonebook (try mphone - mobem.com, maybe they have a hpc pro version) & mobile internet (GPRS). all of it via bluetooth

Got it already, just before you sent that message, a great application to have, does it allow you to make a call and then talk over your pocket/handheld PC without having to talk over the phone?
I did try to set up the MP to detect and work with the phone via infrared (my bluetooth adapters are USB only atm!), but it detected the modem and made some strange noises then on. That was until I told it not to use COM4!

Next step? Get a bluetooth card, just have to waste that £30 I raided from my account, which I now no longer need. I'll have to put that card up on the compatiblity list. I have no incentive to try out the modem functions on it yet, I don't need to!

I am wondering, did I make a mistake for going for a Mobile Pro and not a Jornada? My limited budget prevents me for heading for a MP900 or JD728, the latter is what I really would love. The JD680e (ex-netherland rail ones?) look tempting and pocketable, my MP is only JUST pocketable in a pair of old jeans with busted pockets. I did get it into a pair of jeanes with good pockets, but found it unconfortable and worrying!
Go on, laugh at me, the copper-top!

for the record, my height is 6ft 1in, incase you are wondering! If your eyes are sharp, you will see the MP!
BY THE WAY, I DO NOT RECOMMEND PUTTING YOUR MOBILE PRO IN YOUR POCKET, IT MOST LIKELY WILL RUIN YOUR POCKETS! YOU DO THAT AT YOUR OWN RISK! My unit as I said, only JUST fitted in one pair of trousers! Thats with no room to breathe or put anything else in, it was a tight fitting!
 Top of the page
Bob
Bob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 7:55 PM
#
I use a 360LX with WinCE 2.0. I got it @ the flea market for $30 and it was a great investment. What version of Pocket IE does WinCE 2.0 have? how long do the battereis usually last?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 8:24 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

lol you'll soon find out how long the batteries last... you can always buy higher capacity ones anyway...
IE version? just go to control panel / system / apps if the 360LX has it. there you can see it. i think it's IE 2.0 or something like that...
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 12:02 AM
#
I don't even dare try to fit my MP790 in my jeans pockets.. I know it's not going to fit but that's perfectly fine with me! I was looking for a laptop replacement (which this is, I sold my laptop) and it's easily carryable with one hand which is good enough for me.

As for an iMov replacement, I need MSN and AIM.. what fits the bill?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 9:34 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

AIM for AIM MS portrait for MSN.. maybe you'll like it better, i'm not sure..
and of course ircce can do msn, and maybe aim too, but you need to learn some commands then. tell me if it's no problem for you BTW, my choice is ircce. only shortcoming is that it won't do filetransfer..
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 1:09 PM
#
cmonex - 2005-05-30 7:34 AM

AIM for AIM MS portrait for MSN.. maybe you'll like it better, i'm not sure..
and of course ircce can do msn, and maybe aim too, but you need to learn some commands then. tell me if it's no problem for you BTW, my choice is ircce. only shortcoming is that it won't do filetransfer..

Yeah, I rather like ircce but I also don't if I can paste text into it/copy text out (and it's driving me nuts). I think I'll give AIM and Portrait a try.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-30 1:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

you CAN copy text out. enable auto logging, then just open the logfile.. better than nothing. however i couldn't find a workaround for copying into ircce..
 Top of the page
ramoncio Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 6:55 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Hello,
I'm a spanish J720 user, owner of a computer store. I got it as a present from a german friend over a year and a half ago, but the craddle and charger were stolen. So I contacted HP here in Spain to get these missing parts and maybe some other gadgets.
I think this kind of devices weren't even sold in Spain, as there is not Spanish ROM version, but anyway, I couldn't believe I could not find the craddle, battery or any other J720 accesory through any of the official distribution channels. The only thing I found was the original HP charger and it was 76 euros (about 90-100$) distribution's price, so it would still be more expensive for the public!!
I got a compatible connector in an electronic's store for 1 euro and built a cable to charge it using the 12v connector of a common AT/ATX power suppy that works great!
It's a shame HP and MS din't give some more marketing and support to this great devices (at least here in Spain). They are great for pim, writing, programming, remote control (even Terminal server client) and many other internet, network and educational uses.
I don't care about multimedia features, if I want to play games or watch movies I use a desktop computer.
As it was in german (that is as difficult as japanese for me) and I didn't have the sync cable or craddle, I didn't use it very much at first. After my first successfull synchronization with my desktop using a NE2000 compatible pcmcia network card I started using it a bit more, and started researching about getting it in english or spanish.
First I tried to find a linux distro for J720, but the last posts I saw about that subject were very updated. Finally I got it working in a CF card, but it was very limited, very tiny fonts and the CF is not a good media to store the OS, because of its volatibility and limited writes (maybe an IBM microdrive is a good solution).
I read something about some replacement flash roms for J720 and some distros exclusively for that flash roms but I couldn't find where to get them.
Finally I found eBay.
There I could find many J720 parts and accesories.
I finally got a sync craddle, external charger, additional battery, ENGLISH ROM (eureka!!), and enterasys roamabout wifi card. I also got a Socket bluetooth CF card with PCMCIA adapter from a friend who got a new laptop with BT integrated.
This increased a lot my use of the Jornada, and I'm very happy with it.
The only and huge problem is about PIE. If we had a better and newer web browser this pda would still be great. I can't enter any of my banks and webmails. All of them need a newer web browser.
I tried ftxbrowser, and it had the same problems as it is based in PIE, although it has some enhancements.
We should all join to ask Mozilla to release a Firefox version for hpc2000, or focus all our efforts to have a good web browser developed.
I've read something about some Firefox possible development for PPC, maybe they can as well support hpc2000.
I've heard something about a Dillo possible port too.
I haven't experience in developing (just some linux compiling and database programming) but I would like to help as I can (maybe spanish translations).
I wouldn't like to let this plattform die.
These are great pdas for ebook reading, web browsing, networking, and more other things involving a bigger screen than PPCs and a greatly integrated keyboard.
 Top of the page
ArchiMark Page Icon Posted 2005-06-22 7:43 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Sensei

Hi Ramoncio,

Check out JLime <www.jlime.com> for news and info on Linux for Jornada HPC's...they're just releasing a version for 720 any day now....

Forums there are helpful regarding this too....

Hope this helps!
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.313 - Cached queries : 62 - Executed queries : 11