x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Do you like your HPC or not?!

1 2 3 4 5 6
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 10:01 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

thanks PS i absolutely agree.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 10:12 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

i don't take it personally, no worries
of course, i already tried a video (full screen also) just the subtitle wasn't ok (my fault), so i gave up. i'm going to try converting a film again some time
still i don't understand why it's necessary to have tried watching one on my hpc so that you don't think my post was a flame

i definitely agree, it shouldn't be this way. the hpcs still should be alive and supported. i don't miss so many things anyway, it's enough for me what i've got (had to work hard for the results but it was worth it ). and i am having fun with my 728.
don't misunderstand me, i would like to improve on things of course. for example i'd be willing to write a better irc client than ircce (still didn't give up with java irc clients and various java vm's though ). only i don't know programming, never studied it. i'll start learning, some time... when i'm finished with my exams and yeah i wasted my 10 minutes instead of studying for the exam tomorrow morning
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 10:20 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

PocketDVD - 2005-04-06 4:45 AM

Do HPC users just dont care about having fun with these things?
From what I see, looking at the messages about wrong marketing strategies by manufacturers, it's not the manufacturers who are limiting the devices, but the actual users.

oh i forgot to reply to this. why would we hpc users be worse than, say, ppc users??? it's not so easy as you'd think. they have support and everything. so, i sometimes really get bored and frustrated when reading these things (you're not the first one to say so).
however, i really appreciate your opinion and especially that you want to write programs for our machines!! (i will too, when i get there, as i already said! )

again, it isn't meant a flame!
 Top of the page
stuftclmshll
stuftclmshll Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 11:07 PM
#
I did register, everytime I try to log in I get a run around. I'll try again now.
 Top of the page
stuftclmshll
stuftclmshll Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 11:15 PM
#
Nope! I'm getting an incorrect password screen. When I ask for it to be remailed to me I get a 530 authentication server error.
I'll just re-register.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2005-04-06 11:38 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

There! Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Back on thread, I was having a production shop meeting with a customer just the other day. I am building the prototypes for mounting GPS systems to various buildings/structures. These units must maintain orientation thru wide weather parameters. While going over some changes I grabbed my HPC and started sketching the changes, then did a quick Exel doc for the calcs etc.

My client was in awe! I then told him to turn on his IPAQ, so I could shoot(IR) him the docs. Then I stuck in my wifi card and put the docs in the FTP folder I let his company access. He was blown away. He was impressed by Wodeon etc.

But, then I told him I couldn't check my own bank account with it 'cause the web browser is too outdated.

It's pathetic, my $150 mp 780 is 10 times more useful during the course of a work day than my $500 IPAQ "toy".

Edited by stftclmshell 2005-04-06 11:43 PM
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 1:06 AM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

stftclmshell - 2005-04-06 8:38 PM

There! Only the names have been changed to protect the innocent.

Back on thread, I was having a production shop meeting with a customer just the other day. I am building the prototypes for mounting GPS systems to various buildings/structures. These units must maintain orientation thru wide weather parameters. While going over some changes I grabbed my HPC and started sketching the changes, then did a quick Exel doc for the calcs etc.

My client was in awe! I then told him to turn on his IPAQ, so I could shoot(IR) him the docs. Then I stuck in my wifi card and put the docs in the FTP folder I let his company access. He was blown away. He was impressed by Wodeon etc.

But, then I told him I couldn't check my own bank account with it 'cause the web browser is too outdated.

It's pathetic, my $150 mp 780 is 10 times more useful during the course of a work day than my $500 IPAQ "toy".

Very, very cool.

H/PC's were produced for corporate use, so of course they are 10 times more useful.

EDIT: 4 more pages...lets see some other users!

Edited by ProgramSynthesiser 2005-04-07 1:08 AM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 6:29 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

stftclmshell I'm glad you were able to log on!

Now back on the point. I first had a hard time getting security to let me in the building with my Jornada, they were afraid of me stealing information. I had to get permission from the plant director to bring it into the static free area. I have just had a hard time being able to use it at work. My work laptop seems a more acceptable at least for work purposes. That being said I do not use it all that much at work.
I use it all the time at school and at home. Actually I want to buy a few more of them.
Edit: 200th post

Edited by Yoldering 2005-04-07 6:33 PM
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 7:30 PM
#
H/PC Elite

My J720 usualy just sits on the docking cradle and grins at me, while I'm on my laptop

I don't realy use it that much I should do realy.

Nick
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 7:32 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Mine is a HP J680E. I like the unit. Has a BIG screen and Keyboard. Works for most of what I do with it. My only wish. If HP brought the unit back. But used the current technology. Like a faster CPU, More Memory. And Definately a Headphone jack.
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 8:12 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

ESCAPEMAX,

They, did all of that. It was called the 700 series
 Top of the page
ESCAPEMAX Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 9:08 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

I'll wait to see if one of those comes avail.
BTW, What are the specs?
Chris
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 9:35 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

710 - 206MHz StrongARM, 32MB, 32MB ROM, NO Modem, 64K Screen, HPC2000, Headphone Jack, Speaker, SmartCard slot, same size as the 680

720 - 206MHz StrongARM, 32MB, 32MB ROM, 56k Modem, 64K Screen, HPC2000, Headphone Jack, Speaker, SmartCard slot, same size as the 680, USB Cradle

728 - 206MHz StrongARM, 62MB, 32MB ROM, 56k Modem, 64K Screen, HPC2000, Headphone Jack, Speaker, SmartCard slot, same size as the 680, USB Cradle

Roughly.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 10:44 PM
#
H/PC Elite

i believe the J728 has 64Mb of RAM, not 62
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 11:13 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Yes the The Jornada 728 comes with 64 MB RAM—and 32 MB ROM
I want one of those also!