x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Do you like your HPC or not?!

1 2 3 4 5 6
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 11:44 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

Maybe it is only 62 when in use...like formatted or w/e.

-Netfront isn't that great, it doesn't fit right. We definitely need something better.
 Top of the page
stftclmshell Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 1:36 AM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Whoo-hoo! Just finished "popping" the 790 ROM in my 780.
I can get email from Earthlink now.
The whole project from start to finish took about 10 minutes.
I think I like it even more!!!
 Top of the page
Uncle Ben Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 5:37 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

matrixcore - 2005-04-07 10:44 PM

i believe the J728 has 64Mb of RAM, not 62

You'll have to forgive C:Amie. He has a real problem with numbers, no matter what he says - don't ya Chris.*
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-08 8:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Bleh, bleh, bleh. Go on, kick me while I'm tired.

Yes it's 64.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 11:00 AM
#
I'm new to the scene as I just ordered an NEC 790 yesterday (I'm so bloody excited for it!), but I have some pretty decent Palm/PPC/HPC experience already.

Started with a Palm IIIxe (2 actually, I killed the first one by sitting on it (oops) and my dad gave me his as he no longer uses it) which worked great for a while but was eventually retired due to old age.

Next I moved to a Psion Revo which I absolutely LOVED to death. I had it for almost a year but the lack of a backlight of any sort and all sorts of battery life issues drove me nuts and forced me to change to something different again. I do have to say that Epoc is amazing and the Revo definately gave me a new love for Symbian.

Next up was a Dell Axim x3i, a great buy for the money and a wonderful PPC. Only issue I really had with it was the short battery life (between 2-4 hours of use depending on application) and I definately missed the keyboard on my Revo (even though it was basically a pointer finger ordeal due to it's size). After about a year or so I accidentally got a third party stylus stuck in the stylus holder and as imperfections drive me nuts and I was strapped for cash I sold it to some unsuspecting ebayer (I kid, I kid!).

At the same time as I owned the x3i I also owned a Symbian smartphone, the Nokia 3620. Amazingly great phone, but battery issues again! I eventually dropped it in favour of my current Motorola v551 due to those battery issues and the fact that data on my provider (Rogers) really isn't worth the price yet.

I was PDA-less for a while but eventually bought my friend's Clie SJ20 for $40 (he wasn't using it and hadn't been for over a year). It's weird going back to such a dated Palm device but the battery life couldn't be much better and it makes a great contacts/calender/ebook reading platform.

Why did I decide to get an HPC? I'm a desktop + laptop owner but unfortunately bought a cheaper desktop replacement type laptop (I'm a starving student) so it's not the most portable. I can't take it in bed with me without a real hassle, taking it on the bus to school/work is a hassle and it's just heavy (7.8 lbs) and big and bulky. A great machine but not exactly too portable if you don't have a nearby desk handy. Here's where the HPC comes in.. it's small and lightweight, yet has a largish keyboard (I'm expecting something between my laptop and Revo, is this accurate?), room for expansion with PCMCIA and CF slots and supports my Netgear MA401 wifi card so I can IRC/hit on 12 year olds in bed (kidding again). Combined with what I hear is good battery life and you've got a real winner!

Besides, I've wanted a windows based HPC for years and just realized now that they're getting very affordable.

I'll post how I like it when I get it and have used it for a while
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 11:32 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

welcome here in the hpc world!
 Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 1:15 PM
#
Welcome to the club mate. We're from very similar background, I was initially a Palm user, had Palm IIIe which flew off the bonnet of my car late one night ( i know, i know), later a IPAQ 3630 which to be quite honest, I abhorred, to a Psion Netbook which is even to this day a constant companion. My J728 is a good companion to the Netbook, and is now doing double duty while the big brother gets fixed.
 Top of the page
Niteman1969 Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 1:17 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

I had no idea hpc's existed till abot 3 weeks ago.

Then saw one for sale at a car boot sale.
Unfortunatley it was a bright sunny day and
I could not see the display very clearly but
was satised it was working.

Being a bit of a gadget freak I bought
it there and then and after getting the
jornada 680 home I started searching
the net for info which is how I came
to these forums.

Anyway to cut a long story short I
read loads of threads and got myself
a wirless card etc and was pleased
with myself.

I was however dissapointed by the
limitations of the device and now
have a J710 coming through the
post anyday now.

Hopefully I will be able to use acobat reader
etc etc as well as some hexedited ppc apps
which will satisfy my requirements of the device.

I admit the format is dead but you oly have to
look on ebay for the amount of money HPC's
are going for (especially Jornads) to see that
people still want them.

Regards

Niteman1969

Top of the page
alfabob
alfabob Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 1:28 PM
#
I've actually saw ProgramSynths first post. As mentioned above, I come from the EPOC community, and one of the strong points of that community is the pool of talent that write software just for helping other community members out. Part of it is because OPL is a very elegant but simple programming language.

Yet, the same problems exist, the lack of a good browser, and the other limitations associated with the EPOC OS back then like no multimedia. Anyway, just wondering, if we all pitch in together, can't we get some of the guys working on Minimo to do a dedicated HPC variant? Thanks.

Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 3:38 PM
#
alfabob - 2005-05-10 11:28 AM

I've actually saw ProgramSynths first post. As mentioned above, I come from the EPOC community, and one of the strong points of that community is the pool of talent that write software just for helping other community members out. Part of it is because OPL is a very elegant but simple programming language.

Yet, the same problems exist, the lack of a good browser, and the other limitations associated with the EPOC OS back then like no multimedia. Anyway, just wondering, if we all pitch in together, can't we get some of the guys working on Minimo to do a dedicated HPC variant? Thanks.

Yeah, I loved how easy it was to code for Epoc.

Dumb question, but how easy is it to code for HPC 2000? I know intermediate C++ and can easily learn more, any hints on where I should start?

Oh, forgot to mention that I did a two month stint with a Blackberry 7100 between my Nokia 3620 and Motorola v551. Going from Symbian to a limited development platform like the Blackberry is scary stuff
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 4:26 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh i don't have the slightest idea about programming but i heard if you can already program in c++ then it's almost no different to program for wince than for desktop windows. i might be wrong but that's what i heard.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-05-10 4:36 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Basicly but not all the API's will work with the CE Shell.

Nick
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-05-28 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

To revive this thread, I looked at the first page and it certaintly interested me. As I write this, I have had my handheld PC for 3 weeks, but it has only been in my house for a week.

Finding handhelds in the UK is very rare, I know no one with a handheld and it looks like I am the only one. I know 4 or 5 more people with Pocket PCs, one has 2 iPAQs (2 H3660s to be exact), someone once had a Palm M130 another with a H3630 and someone with a HP Jordanda 5xx (I cannot remember the model number, it was not a 560 or 568, it was a very early one with 8mb ram and PPC2000). I have an iPAQ 3870, something I wish to replace, its getting on, getting very battered and brused and the person that has 2x3660s wants it too. I was thinking of swapping my 3870 with a 3660.

My Handheld is about 4/5 years old I think, it has seen a few rough times, but it is soild as a brick, its even outlasting my laptop that has case problems after 2 years (its nearly 4 years old now), particulary around the screen area. The backlight is going very slowly which is a constant annoyace and just about handles my 3D design work. The handheld PC would be brilliant to create 3D visuals on a portable computer and it would be good if there was a piece of software, like 3D studio max so I could create items, such as this:

When I first purchased my handheld (as told by elsewhere), I sent it via a company warehouse and got it sent over with the bits my father needed (He works for Acoustiguide Limited and Acoustiguide Corp.), I originally thought I wasn't going to recieve it, as my fathers parts took too long to go through the company's new and far more burecratic system. However, when it did arrive, I opened it up and thought "(unrepeatable word)!!! Its a bit too big!" and I thought I brought a massive lump of plastic. I hooked it up to the AC power suply with no problems, on the US charger and I had to make the PC Card CD drives power supply suffer for the lack of 3-pin UK power supply, when I started it up, I was totally amazed. I knew Handhelds existed and when I saw the Jorndana 728 in an RS catelouge, I always wanted one, even when I had an iPAQ. The NEC cost me also around 20% less than my iPAQ did when it was new.
I did some searching for accessories and I was also amazed by the ammount of accessories available, including VGA cables and a AA adapter, both which I desire to have!
I was impressed to also find that the modem worked right out of the box, with little trouble, just set it up to dial "Nildram" (our ISP) and watch the magic, even if it was slow. The only thing I wasn't impressed with was the lack of software support and the lack of internet communications, for example, communications with my mobile phone. These are minor and it is probably due to the fact that I didn't do enough research. One problem was MP3 software, I did some searching on the internet and found an Xaudio player, using that did cause my computer to constantly crash or slow-down when in standby mode or comming out of standby mode.
The only other complaint is that MS didn't include a battery gauge, like they do for my laptop, except my laptops one now does go missing! (Time to try some VB coding I think!).

I started to take my MP to college the third day I had it delivered, I kept it quite concealed, until I used the bus home and played a bit of solitare, I also recorded the buses engine noise (it was a Alexander Volvo B10M, ironically, the type that I modelled and appears as a render on this page), I was not impressed with the audio quaility either, even at max, it was very quite and a lot of skipping was evident! I did have a fun time with Solitare, but I found the fact that the sunlight caused more strain to my eyes as I was sitting to the south side of the bus and I used the bus about mid day, now big windows, with great vision and a route that is virtually West to East all the way (Crookhorn - Leigh Park - Havant in the South of England) meant that 60-70% of the journey, I had problems reading the screen and on some occasions, I just had to look out the window and look at the scrolling urban scenery and other buses going to Portsmouth or to Wecock Farm, because I couldn't see the display at all!

The third day, I tried it out to write some notes down in college, I gave up and use my sketchbook instead, as we were asked to use our sketchbooks in the first place. I had to take down some Health & Saftey notes down and my pencil and sketchbook just proved too slow, so I got the handheld out and use that, I found it far quicker to type. Not many people took interest then. I let someone else use it so they could write notes down too.

On the fourth day, I got it out late in the afternoon, others took instant interest and asking "what is that?" "I have never seen one" and ended up playing around with it for a little bit, getting really interested, because it was the first one they had seen, even the UK finds handhelds a rareity. It has been the same story all along, I was reading a magazine article from 1998 and handhelds of CE1 devices were still extremely rare. PC World reviewed 5 handhelds (A Casio, a Philips Velo 1, Compaq PC companion and a HP 320LX for greyscale handhelds and a HP 620LX for colour handhelds), the editor prefered the keyboard of the casio, but overal of the 620LX, I must scan the article at some point.

On Friday, some were bored in lesson, so one girl had a play on my handheld and she loved it, so did someone else when I wanted to get some Canvas to make a case, I'll have a post on this IDC. One of them even wanted to buy my mobilepro off me!!

So far, this device has despite, it pitfalls, has become a useful device. I liked the keyboard and found it easy to adjust to, but when I went back to my laptop, I made constant errors as I thought I was on the MP's keyboard!
When I first got it, I had beem use to a laptop for most of my life, I accidently thought the mobile pro was a laptop, so I constantly tried to reach for a touch pad, only to realise I had to use the stylus!

As for the future, I expect that it is a matter of time away, before I end up with a MP880 (How do I carry that if I did? Bung it in the same compartment as the laptop and crush both of them in my bag?), even though the larger screen tempts me and the docking cradle, if there ever was one tempts me further. I read a review that one person has both and she likes them both, they use the 880 most of the time and the 780 to toss in her bag when she wants something smaller. Sounds like my kind of wanted setup. The USB port will be useful too.

I also wish to upgrade the MP780 to a 790, with the 790 battery and ROM board, I may make a request for it, but is it worth it? I also may purchase a bluetooth card, a wired ethernet card, a wireless ethernet card and a 2gb microdrive. Or shall I go for a 5gb PC card? I also need a mono 2.5mm-stereo 3.5mm converter, I would just simply replace the jack, making my headset useless, my nokia headset useless (it only works with my mobile phone anyway!) and my spare motorola that a friend gave away for free useless, which I particulary hate, because it activates the damm RECORDING application every time I use it. I just wanna listen to MP3's!! Oh and make a custom case......

(oh and the lack of port replica and the wish to use a modem instead of a NIC is quite a mistake in my mind as any forward planning would say that the modems now are almost redundant!).

If I went for another handheld, I'd love to build my own handheld to my preferences, so that I know what I wish to have, I have no electrical knowlege however and it would be pretty costly. I would have something that is cheap to make but has the latest technology, hopefully to fit in your pocket. My MP does for one pair of trousers, but not any others.
I also think a docking cradle with atleast a charging socket (direct from the 240v supply and stepped down to 9v), a USB sync port and a ethernet jack (perhaps a stylus drawer) would be an excellent thing to have, so you can just plonk the computer on the jack and it will sync as well as access the internet.

I would like to hear your comments and suggestions.
 Top of the page
alpine
alpine Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 10:41 AM
#
I just ordered my 680E yesterday and I am waiting for it to come in the mail now. I have been searching through the net now looking for apps and programs for it. Hopefully I will find some more useful info on this site as well. I have being using pdas and laptops for about 8 years now.

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-29 12:39 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut, i think you're right about doing not enough research on software & communication with your phone, etc
try this page: http://www.yetanotherhomepage.com/j7xx/
it's for the jornada 720 but many apps have a MIPS + hpc pro version for your 780...
and communication with a mobile phone is possible, i always use my j728 for sending sms, editing&backing up my phonebook (try mphone - mobem.com, maybe they have a hpc pro version) & mobile internet (GPRS). all of it via bluetooth
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5 6
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.343 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 10