x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Development Revival ! (lets try it people)

1 2 3 4 5
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 10:42 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

OK, since HPC development is pretty much dead, I think we need to do something about it to extend the use of our devices. Please list your qualities here as a developper, projects you are interested in/working on, and maybe we can help eachother out a bit.

I am a Delphi7 programmer and currently learning eVB (ce3 toolkit)
I am not good at graphics, but can manage if needed. I do have quite some ideas though.

Currently I'm playing with winsock to try and get a msn messenger based thing going on on the HPC, but so far I havent been able to see what is being send back to me when trying to connect. Most of the information comes from this site :
http://www.hypothetic.org/docs/msn/index.php
However, since I never programmed anything network related, I'm learning as I go.

I have also been playing with the Doom- source, but basicaly havent found any code yet that at least compiles without issues, so it's getting nowhere.

There are other things as well that I would like to work on, but since I dont know anything about c or c++ there isnt too much I can do.

Instead of going for the major HTML browser project, we might have to start on simpler things and then move on as we go.

this post might be a bit messy, but as programmers, we all know how our minds tend to mix things up a little. Also, I just woke up.

Anyway, lets bring this back to life.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 11:01 AM
#
H/PC Elite

I agree with you only wanting to start small and work up. When I was learning visual basic I always wanted to do some networking stuff but I could never get anything to work so I started again.

Nick
 Top of the page
sophisticatedleaf Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 2:45 PM
#
Avatar image of sophisticatedleaf
H/PC Elder

I know Visual Basic (embarrasing I know), and a bit os BASIC. I will learn C++ and C should not be hard to learn afterwards. And I am really good with text config files.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 3:41 PM
#
H/PC Elder

ProgramSynthesiser - 2005-04-03 12:45 PM

I know Visual Basic (embarrasing I know), and a bit os BASIC. I will learn C++ and C should not be hard to learn afterwards. And I am really good with text config files.

hey, nothing embarrassing to know VB. Do you know that many assembly line robots are programmed using a flavor of BASIC?

EDIT:
Corrections. What I meant was that the control and movement of the robots are programmed using a flavour of BASIC. I would presume that there are "firmware" level routines written in C or some kinda of opcode or asm that is optimized for the particular controller chip.

*END_EDIT*

I started off on BASICA, then Apple BASIC and GWBASIC. Then BASIC compiled version (cannot remember the name). QBASIC, QuickBASIC and finally Visual BASIC and then VB.NET. In any case, they are just one variant or another of good ol BASIC. The point is to learn to code. The language is mostly just syntax semantics. Granted, the syntax can mean the ability or inability to do certain things. Once you learn/master coding, picking up another language is really just changing your "namespaces" ... in Java lingo ...

Its kinda like ... once you learn how to speak in English, if you manage to learn enough vocab in another language, you will be able to know how to ask your way around and get things done.

Edited by Snappy! 2005-04-03 4:00 PM
 Top of the page
Yoldering Page Icon Posted 2005-04-03 11:06 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Talk about embarrassing, I know PASCAL. But also a little C, & C++, and a little VB not well enough to develop though. I am trying!!! I really need to learn more of each. Oh duh, and of course BASIC!!!
PocketDVD thank you so much for what you have contributed so far! We all need a kick in the pants to get on the ball.

Edited by Yoldering 2005-04-03 11:13 PM
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Elder

oh PocketDVD, almost forgot. So are you planning to code something? If you are onto something, I can help out in C/C++, VB, BASIC etc. The thing about me ... I can code, but I need a real-life scenario where a program is needed in order to code. Otherwise, I tend to tangent off into algorithms and the program never gets completed!
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-04 11:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I used to program the BBC Mico in BASIC, but shot of
10 print hello
20 goto 10
end

I've forgotten everything else.

I am reasonably comfortable with ASP3 but Graphics, UI design and marketing, no problemo.
I'll learn C++ when Snappy! and / or PS come show me
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 6:35 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I can't agree more... 3rd party input to WinCE is what will/does keep it going. I've only had my Jornada 680e for 2 days, and I can't wait to get into the bare-bones of development for it.

Just for general reader information:

As far as I've noticed in these 2 days, Windows CE development is little different from regular windows development in C++ (using direct API code).

Most of the same API calls are supported, and the windows model is still exactly the same, a window which delegates UI handling code to a WinProc/Window Procedure.

So for anyone of us who have already developed applications for Win9x/NT using C++ and plain old API... little has changed in CE, I guess it will be a little more tricky with certain API calls not supported, and especailly with the UNICODE approach ... but far from new

Anyway, I'm just trying to think of an idea now... there's no reason why we can't make hundreds of different bits of software, such as p2p client/servers, new IM's, new audio/video applications

And I'd also like to thank the maintainers/creators of this website, it's been very helpful, don't know what I'd do without it
 Top of the page
PocketDVD Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 10:03 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

I'm currently in the process of learning c++

I tried a few different approaches, but from what I have found out so far is that it's easier to learn c++ and then go to emb c++

I tried Sams learn Visual C++ 6 in 21 days, but after a wakeup call, I found out that directly programming c++ is a hell of a lot easier then using visual studio.

I'm using Dev-C++ from bloodshed, and am reading/studying "Beginning C++ Game Programming"

Just a heads up.
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 5:21 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

Yeah... sounds like a good plan

C++ is really not that hard to learn, as is anything else ... all it takes is time and patience ... I'll be happy to help if you have any queries.

Another thing which I wondering is, how about a CEDev IRC channel ... this would be a nice idea for us to centralize our ideas, share knowledge and perhaps even host regular lessons (as I have done before a few times ) for things such as C/C++ and WinCE API development.

On this note, we don't actually need a host either, we can just connect to an IRC network and begin a new channel, and have the main server host the channel for us.

Just an idea.... but I think it would be a more realtime, and a more central way to share our ideas

/\/\art
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 11:53 AM
#
H/PC Elder

I was wondering on the PocketDVD thread that if there is enough of us to write softwares for the HPCs, we can enable HPCs to continue be useful and not die and go the Amiga route ... ... and again, spare me the flames ... oh Great Amiga Fans!
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 11:56 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

There are enough of us, even just one or two would be enough if we make some really useful utilities.

So what does everyone think of a Windows CE Development IRC channel?

Let me know your thoughts, if everyone wants to give it a shot, we could set one up very quickly and begin sharing development ideas
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 12:42 PM
#
H/PC Elite

I personally like VB and can program in it, but I would prefer Jabber to IRC, everyone can use it once my domain is working again.

Nick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 3:41 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Alternativly you could just use jabber.hpcfactor.com
 Top of the page
Mart Page Icon Posted 2005-04-22 5:54 PM
#
Factorite (Junior)

That sounded like a great idea... so I downloaded two or three clients for Jabber, each of them give me the same results however ... I get disconnected from the server with "Not Authorized".

Does anyone know how to solve this, or could possibly suggest what causes it?

Thanks, /\/\art
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.328 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 12