x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

My entire Windows CE Family minus 1

1 2 3 4 5
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-19 6:25 PM
#
cmonex - 2005-07-19 4:07 PM

Wessex_nut - 2005-07-19 11:46 PM

(Sorry, Cmonex, it is not a Mobile Pro 790, I wish it was! - Btw, is that suppose to be Connex? As in Connex South Central Train services Ltd?)
So, who ever has the Hardware Compatability list, sorry I cannot remember your nickname off my head at this moment in time, can add that mobile phone. Just set it up for Infrared, dial and away you go.
Same for the Nokia 6021, which is unusal, I was pretty sceptical when I receieved it, because I thought it wouldn't work.

i think you should go to the HCL now and add these items yourself because C:Amie would like it more
the origin of my name isn't connex or whatever , just my real name. sorry to disappoint you

Is that an Ericsson t39 I see in your picture above? And wow, the 728 looks tiny compared directly to the 900
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 6:47 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Wessex_nut,

You can't remember my name
Actually any of the admin's can modify the HCL from the control area, so there's equivocally less of an excuse!
I don't see transport Tycoon amongst your games there

That better not be a Piddle PC your spoiling the view with

Please use the HCL form to send us any and all hardware info:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=102

The more accurate and complete it is, the better informed H/PCers are - but we need your help to do that.

Keep the family photos coming

cmonex, you have more 'kids' than I do, no fair!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 6:56 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-07-20 12:47 PM

cmonex, you have more 'kids' than I do, no fair!

you don't have to count one of them (200LX is not mine).
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 9:40 AM
#
C:Amie - 2005-07-20 4:47 AM
I don't see transport Tycoon amongst your games there

I'm surprised to not see Locomotion there either!
 Top of the page
Wessex_nut Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 9:41 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Whooops!! My bad C:AMIE, my mind went black, I therefore appogise for any offence that you recieved from my comments.

Anyway..... former members of my windows family, before I even heard of handheld PCs: (well worn when I inherited them from my father)

Texas Instruments Extensa 560CD, with a Pentimun P75 processor, a whopping 48mb of RAM, a Cirrus Logic 1mb graphics chip amd I think it was an ESS sound card. Oh and top that with a massive 810mb hard drive. (It was physically massive at 14.5mm high, approx). The screen is large too, 12.1in DSTN, the rest of the screen was taken up with speakers. The styling wasn't bad and I spent many happy hours playing Transport Tycoon Deluxe on it, with an exteral keyboard, mouse and monitor! . Oh and it had Windows 95 and a swappable floppy drive, I tried to replace the battery with the modular foppy drive and found a missing connector! I eventually gave up and used Windows 98.
Ditched in 2004, reason - unworkable condition, damaged screen (half of it viewable, half a garbled mess. Then the hinge broke!) (Ended the wish to convert it to a Mini-ITX case)

YIKES!!! Another Clevo, this time a Model 98, compare that with my newer laptop and you'll see a lot of difference.
One AMD K6 300mhz CPU, S3ViRGE 4mb video card (I had the uRGE to dump it), 128mb of RAM (for a tiny while, until I had to revert it back to 64mb!), Yamaha GX series (?) sound card (No damm good at MP3s!), 13.1in DSTN screen (Ugh!), 4GB hard drive, until I moved the computer and crashed it, so my father got a 6gb Hard drive, that too got dropped, but it was off and it wasn't me that time, and a former haunt for my D-Link card. It was very basic, but the only part I still have is the power brick, its about the only thing with any use, because it is a 2 pin power brick, it makes it more compatabile. It did have Windows 98 on it (it orignally had no O/S), but I just managed to put 2000 on it, which worked wonderfully well.
Final blow? The screen was damaged to begin with, it came complete with one red line for many years down one side of the screen (it got wet during a torrentual downpour according to my father. It was in his bag, a waterproof bag, but the water breached the zip, filered into the laptop compartment and containated the screen), the screen also came complete with a range of trapped bugs, causing a nice nusiance and plenty of cracks on the hinge area of the screen. Some quite deep ones.
Once this broke, my father decided to perform a DIY repair with super glue (Note, never use super glue for anything) in attempt to stick it all together, 1 week later, the super glue broke as well, prompting another fix, I decided that the best way is for it to be static, when it broke several times. I took the computer up to Birmingham for a trade show, when once again, the screen broke! Later, the hard drive failed altogether. It was an unrecoverable mess. It was promptly sent for scrap in March 2004.
One hardware fault it developed over time was one I could never figure out. Just before the screen seperated from the body, the screen turned off while on battery power, sometimes not immediately, but after some time. I had 2 battery packs, a NI-MH battery pack and a Lithum Ion battery pack. The Li-ion battery pack I would keep for standby and the Ni-MH I used more often, due to how long it lasted. That was until the Li-Ion battery pack went BANG, then it wouldn't properly reigester a charge! More lines on the screen later appeared, of different colours, so I had 4 freekin' lines across the screen.

Lastly, my IPC, its a reminiscance of my Clevo, except it has 2 Li-Ion batteries (I was after Ni-HM batteries, because I am not convinced of the safety aspec of Lithium based batteries) and it is larger. The computer has been taken apart several times because of the DC jack and speaker problems, it has had the work so far to date:
4 x DC jack repaired and resoldered
1 x DVD drive replaced
1 x battery replaced (Colour doesn't match)
1 x CPU thermal greese added
1 x crack treatment
3 x HD replaced
The IPC is a 1ghz P3 processor, with 384mb of ram (64 used for the video card), SiS630 video card, SiS900 net adapter, SiS7001 USB chip, SiS7018 sound card (actully, it produced some superb sound compared to my SiS7012 sound chip used in my desktop), SiS Core/Smartlink 56k modem, SiS north and south bridges, SiS EVERYTHING!!!

Now my new clevo is not SiS based (Thank god!! Their poor hardware except sound causes many issues!), but Intel based, including a Realtek AC97 sound chip in an Intel core, except the graphics card, which is ATI based.

Sorry, I had to include a life story.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 11:34 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

cmonex, that makes us even
Though I do technically have a 95LX... but that's in Swindon somewhere.

Wessex_nut,
My cousin has (had) one of those Extensas. Not bad. I dosed it up on RAM and it went running 98 until the hinge went.

So what do you get up to at trade shows?

My first laptop was a 386SX by a European company called HST
Then a DIGITAL CT450 (wonderful very innovative machine, loved it, really did)
Dell Latitude 400
Dell Latitude XP
Dell Latitude XPi
Kapok (now Clevo) 6200 (Huge waste of £2000)
Dell Inspiron 3800

After that died I no longer had any particular use for one; nothing that the H/PC couldn't handle.
I do have a Clevo 2600T sitting next to me at the moment which I borrowed 8 months ago, and like that Kapok it's a complete waste of time. Noisey, buggy, awful BIOS.
In short, don't touch Mesh/Kapok/Clevo, they are all the same thing - poor
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 12:17 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-07-20 5:34 PM

cmonex, that makes us even
Though I do technically have a 95LX... but that's in Swindon somewhere.
After that died I no longer had any particular use for one; nothing that the H/PC couldn't handle.

well but yours are all HPC's
same thing with me about hpcs replacing laptops... my poor toshiba gets no use! at least it isn't a clevo whatever
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 12:33 PM
#
C:Amie - 2005-07-20 9:34 AM
In short, don't touch Mesh/Kapok/Clevo, they are all the same thing - poor

I've never even heard of Clevo - do they have a different name on this side of the pond or do they just not exist at all?

I've had a couple laptops over the years, but I'm young and poor so nothing special

A 486sx with 4mb of ram and a 500ish mb hard drive - bought it used a few years back with Windows 95 on it and foolishly decided to install Slackware on it. Now, the machine had only a floppy and I was too poor (being 15 at the time) to buy a PCMCIA cdrom for it, so I ended up installing Slackware 5 (or was it 4?) on it via diskette. Ouch. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone using linux for their first time.

Last year I bought an HP 15.4" widescreen notebook - Celeron 2.6, 512MB ram, Radeon 9000, DVD/CDRW - a cheap desktop replacement that I bought for 'school'. Thing was bloody huge, a pain in the ass to lug around - hot and short on battery life.

So I sold it and got this thing. <3
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 12:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Clevo are the Asian manufacturers, the devices are rebadged in other countries. In the UK as Mesh, ACi and Evsham amongst others. I know nothing of the US market.

Welcome to mobile freedom, welcome to HPC:Factor
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 1:09 PM
#
C:Amie - 2005-07-20 10:51 AM

Clevo are the Asian manufacturers, the devices are rebadged in other countries. In the UK as Mesh, ACi and Evsham amongst others. I know nothing of the US market.

Ah, they're known primarily as Sager over here (good ol' google, I bow to our future overlords). And thank you!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 4:27 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

corporate - 2005-07-20 12:25 AM

Is that an Ericsson t39 I see in your picture above? And wow, the 728 looks tiny compared directly to the 900

yes, t39, do you know this phone?
and yes the size difference was quite surprising for me when i took the 900 home and compared them..
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 4:28 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

corporate - 2005-07-20 6:33 PM

I've had a couple laptops over the years, but I'm young and poor so nothing special

A 486sx with 4mb of ram and a 500ish mb hard drive - bought it used a few years back with Windows 95 on it and foolishly decided to install Slackware on it. Now, the machine had only a floppy and I was too poor (being 15 at the time) to buy a PCMCIA cdrom for it, so I ended up installing Slackware 5 (or was it 4?) on it via diskette. Ouch. I wouldn't recommend it for anyone using linux for their first time.

Last year I bought an HP 15.4" widescreen notebook - Celeron 2.6, 512MB ram, Radeon 9000, DVD/CDRW - a cheap desktop replacement that I bought for 'school'. Thing was bloody huge, a pain in the ass to lug around - hot and short on battery life.

So I sold it and got this thing. <3

i've had only one, the toshiba portege 3020ct.., you can see it in this thread a little earlier
maybe i should sell it .. but it's still useful *sometimes* good thinking on your part, btw, to replace it with an MP!
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 4:29 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-07-20 6:51 PM

clevo.. *phew* only laptop brands for me are ibm, toshiba and maybe sony.
 Top of the page
corporate
corporate Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 4:52 PM
#
cmonex - 2005-07-20 2:28 PM
i've had only one, the toshiba portege 3020ct.., you can see it in this thread a little earlier
maybe i should sell it .. but it's still useful *sometimes* good thinking on your part, btw, to replace it with an MP!

Thank you, I was surprised as to how usable the keyboard on the 790 is!

And yes, I'm a previous owner of a T39m. It's still the favorite of all my phones (I had one about a year and a half ago), but has sadly been gone since I sent it through the washer. And dryer.

It was an accident.

A horrific horrific accident.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-07-20 5:18 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

corporate - 2005-07-20 10:52 PM

Thank you, I was surprised as to how usable the keyboard on the 790 is!

And yes, I'm a previous owner of a T39m. It's still the favorite of all my phones (I had one about a year and a half ago), but has sadly been gone since I sent it through the washer. And dryer.

It was an accident.

A horrific horrific accident.

ooooh
 Top of the page
1 2 3 4 5
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 29