x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Network share access goofiness

SirThoreth Page Icon Posted 2007-06-22 9:59 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

OK, I've recently installed a new WiFi card (a Netgear MA401) in my MobilePro, meaning I'm able to access my LAN with it again, rather than totally relying on connecting through my 6700's EVDO connection with Sprint to get on the Internet with it.

Everything seems to be working fine: I installed the driver off the HPCFactor's HCL (ie. the Prism driver), and the 880 is connecting through WiFi to my LAN, is then getting an IP address from DHCP, and is able to browse sites through Internet Explorer. It's even able to connect, via RDP, to my Windows 2000 domain controller, and my Windows XP Media Center 2005 box (which, obviously, is not a member of the domain).

What it's not able to do, though, is access shared network folders on either PC. I double-click on My Handheld PC, put the location of the network share in the address bar at the top, and, nearly a minute later, get the notification that it can't connect to the sharename. I've tried inputting the share name as follows:

\\computername\sharename
\\IP address\sharename
\\computername
\\IP address

...and the same thing happens any time. Soft resets don't seem to help, and I'm never getting a prompt to input my network credentials.

Anyone know what might be going on here? This used to work just fine on my old Linksys wireless CF card and Hawking 10/100 ethernet card before both ceased functioning.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-06-23 7:06 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Domain controller. Right then!

First off, check your firewalls and policy settings re non-secure smb connections.

DNS is mapping to the systems correctly, you are presumably using two independent DNS systems - Windows 2000 and your router? You need to ensure that there are no conflicts between the two systems or consolidate onto one.

If you have WINS running on the domain controller, just have DHCP send the WINS address - you'll be amazed at how much faster network browsing is over WINS compared to DNS lookup.

Check the network applet in control panel, make sure that it hasn't been given invalid password credentials, or credentials with lower permissions. Delete them if you want the prompt back.
 Top of the page
jmgunzel Page Icon Posted 2007-06-23 10:33 AM
#
Factorite (Junior)

I don't have an answer, unfortunately, to this question. However, I'm curious to know how S.T. got his hawking 10/100 (ethernet) to work. I've never had success, either on my 790 or my 900.
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.125 - Cached queries : 59 - Executed queries : 10