x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WIFI 802.11 Roamabout Wireless and J680e

1 2 3
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 10:00 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

HPCleo: when you were at the tmobile hotspot for the second time (and the other hotspot), you could have had a chance. reinserting the card / suspend and turning on again / waiting for a little time (about 5-10 minutes at most) might have helped. try it
and you don't need proxy settings! turn it off in explorer!
 Top of the page
martnus Page Icon Posted 2005-04-27 10:04 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Hey Mojordans....

From one "newbie" to another, keep reading, asking and trying. MOST of the information I got off here today has helped me out MORE than trying the instructions that came with my card. I bought a RoamAbout 802.11 Wireless card off a guy on eBay too (like someone else here said). I used his drivers on the CD that he sent me with the card and according to the Jornada 680e, it installed the drivers. But, the more I poked around, the more I saw that it never installed them at all. I finally found a newer set of drivers on "Enterasys RoamAbout" website and updated and upgraded it. I then soft-booted it and it saw the card and the drivers worked!! But, after trying all that, I AGAIN took a ride to my local StarBucks (they have the only WiFi Hotspot I know of around here) and tried once again. I kept getting an error "Unable To Establish A Secure Connection". So, I came back and accidentally stumbled across "HPC : Factor" and started reading adn asking questions. I read one thread about a person who recommended updating the 128 bit encryption, I did and now I am ready to go back and try again. I am keeping my fingers crossed until tomorrow when I can take a ride back to see if it works.

Someone also told me that the card makes a HUGE difference, that a LOT of them will not work with the Jornada 680e, and a LOT of them will not work with Windows CE either. Heck, you can go broke trying and trying different cards and seeing if they work.

Check out all the downloads available here and make sure you have updated your CE and your 680e as best you can. Do the 128 bit encryption update and check out the drivers on the manufacturers website. See if there is anything newer on there.

Best of luck you.................
 Top of the page
eclare99
eclare99 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 2:31 PM
#
Because of all the excellent assistance here, I now have my Jornada 680 working fine; wifi works at home.
At the local hotspot I get excellent signal quality, when I use "any" as the ESSID, but I cannot get connected to the internet, or get my nPop mail. Can someone help me with this?

I know that I have to get to a page where I can type in credit card info etc. as my hotspot is not a free site. (it's Rogers)

tia, Clare
 Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 3:51 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

To all newbies (I was one myself not many months ago, and I'm still learning):

First of all, welcome. We hope you'll keep using your H/PCs for all the great things they can do, and talk to your friends and colleagues about the advantages of the H/PC. (And, of course, stay in touch with fellow H/PC users all over the world on this site.)

Second, I strongly recommend checking this site's Hardware Compatibility List before buying a network card for your H/PC. This is how I found the card that works wonderfully on my 680e (and all my other H/PCs): the Agere ORiNOCO Classic Gold card.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-12 3:56 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

eclare99 - 2006-02-12 8:31 PM

Because of all the excellent assistance here, I now have my Jornada 680 working fine; wifi works at home.
At the local hotspot I get excellent signal quality, when I use "any" as the ESSID, but I cannot get connected to the internet, or get my nPop mail. Can someone help me with this?

I know that I have to get to a page where I can type in credit card info etc. as my hotspot is not a free site. (it's Rogers)

i really hope IE on your J680e can handle the secure site. start IE and type in a website url and then you should get the login page. if that doesn't work, ask for help from the provider of the hotspot. maybe they can let you in the system without using the login system.
 Top of the page
eclare99
eclare99 Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 2:43 PM
#
Tnx so much; I have tried everything suggested here, and I still cannot access IE in a hotspot using with my Jornada 680, even though I get an excellent signal. I guess I will get an Orinico Classic Gold card, as suggested here. (This will be my third and last card, I hope!).......presently I am using an Intel PRO/Wireless 2011, which works great at home.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-02-20 3:48 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

i'm afraid it doesnt depend on the card, if IE on the j680 cannot handle the newer SSL certificates
maybe get a j720?
 Top of the page
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-03-01 8:52 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I'll add my appreciation for the good advice and persistence of folks here, it's been hugely helpful to me. After many months, my mobilepro 790 can now access the internet, but only using my home wireless network. I can also activesync wirelessly at home, but nowhere else. It's impressively fast, too. It would be great to be able to connect to wi-fi spots on the road or in cafes/libraries/airports etc.

I'm using the following settings:

Profile: default
Mode: Infrastructure
SSID: ANY
Encryption: created keys manually (64 bit WEP)
PRISM1: IEEE802.11b WLAN card v2.5:
- obtain IP address via DHCP
- name servers (works if I leave blank, and if I insert my laptops IP address, doesn't seem to matter)

IE can access my office's secure outlook server, but again, I can only connect from home. Occassionally I get an error message from IE, saying that my browser is not compatible with this secure site, but it usually connects. I installed ministumbler and it finds hotspots fine, but I still can't figure out how to connect to them either secured or unsecured. I'm using a Hawking CF 11M WLAN card.

Am I doing something wrong with the settings?

Is there some kind of software out there that I can use to detect wireless networks and allow me to connect to them kind of like Windows XP does?
 Top of the page
rod Page Icon Posted 2006-03-02 12:01 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

One additional piece of information - ministumbler has been set to reconfigure my wireless card automatically, which is what other forums have suggested for detecting and connecting to authorized networks, but it didn't work for me.
 Top of the page
dhbegnaud
dhbegnaud Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 9:06 PM
#
I am having problems when I installed my MA401 wireless card. I used the PRISM chipset and it installed fine. I inserted the card typed in prismnds.dll like it said to do on here but I do not know what to do next. Any ideas??
 Top of the page
dhbegnaud
dhbegnaud Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 9:07 PM
#
Also, I forgot to say this was for a Mobilepro 770.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 10:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

rod - 2006-03-02 2:52 AM
I installed ministumbler and it finds hotspots fine, but I still can't figure out how to connect to them either secured or unsecured. I'm using a Hawking CF 11M WLAN card.

Am I doing something wrong with the settings?

find the ssid name in ministumbler, then create a new profile in your wlan driver & change the ssid name from ANY to the ssid name you found in ministumbler. you should be able to connect then.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 10:35 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

dhbegnaud - 2006-03-12 3:06 AM

I am having problems when I installed my MA401 wireless card. I used the PRISM chipset and it installed fine. I inserted the card typed in prismnds.dll like it said to do on here but I do not know what to do next. Any ideas??

could you give more info please... are you using hidden SSID on your network? WEP? mac filtering? if none of these, just launch IE and type in an url... if still having problems let us know but give all details you can.

Edited by cmonex 2006-03-11 10:35 PM
 Top of the page
dhbegnaud
dhbegnaud Page Icon Posted 2006-03-11 10:48 PM
#
I am using WEP on my wireless for security. What should I use? 64bit or 128 bit? Also, it says that: "DHCP was unable to obtain an IP address. You can reinsert your card later or statically assign an address."

Where would I look for if I have a hidden SSID?

I tried typing in a web site and it said that it could not find it. Please help.

Top of the page
jpfx Page Icon Posted 2006-03-12 12:37 PM
#
Factorite (Senior)

Interesting... It's true that B & G share some channels and that if you have 1 client on the network using B then they must all use B.
So the default channel on your wireless router could've been the problem. Most all default to 6 (which is both B&G), try a lower one. Especially if you have neighbours with wireless as there could be channel contention adding to the problem.
In reality, as far as I'm concerned at least; 11Mbps is fast enough for everything except internal streaming video. Especially if you have DSL or Cable which typically run at 3, 6 or 8Mbps max anyway.

Edited by jpfx 2006-03-12 12:38 PM
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.234 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 11