x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Despair in Jornada 690 dial up connection

yvesyves Page Icon Posted 2007-07-16 9:13 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have a Jornada 690 that in a moment of despair I had abandonned.
I want to use it again.
Could you help me.
I abandonned my Jornada because although I kept a dial up connection and changed ISP a couple of times I could not connect to the internet and more importantly send and receive Email. I try a lot of changes and my dial-up ISP ( 3 differnt ones ) were of no help. I really tried hard
I cannot active sync anymore: my original cable does not fit in my two recent 3 and 2 years old laptops.
I am sure this problem happened to a few of you guys.
Is there a solution or many solutions?
My hope would be to be able to connect again through a dial up connection if it is still possible.
If not I am open to suggestions.
To give you an idea of the way I work:
As a back up device I use Email.
I CC myself on all Emails and of course these Emails go to all my inboxes in all my computers and I attach everything I need to save to my Emails. Doing so I have as many version of any of my work saved in as many Computers I use.
I am very upset that my dear Jornada 690 is not in the loop
Thanks in advance
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-17 5:18 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Moved to CE 2.11 Support
Of course, there is no reason why it shouldn't work - so long as we're not talking AOL here.
Ensure that your access #'s are correc, the modem is configured for the correct country, the dial-locations are corrects and that the final number is correct. If that isn't working and it isn't rejecting passwords, pickup a handset and listen to the dial process.

You will need another mail client for most modern email systems. Look at nPOPuk (home page news)

You can buy USB>Serial adapters
 Top of the page
yvesyves Page Icon Posted 2007-07-17 6:15 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I followed the instruction of C Amie by the book and here are the results:
Same results when I did it myself and got stuck all along.
I alway check that I have a tone and then my Jornada dials and then I hear the electronic noise of the modem discussion but here is the problem which happened to me a hundred times: The electronic noise of the Modem ends up in a hich pitch that never cease and the communication is not completed.
Maybe with these new information I just gave I could get help or maybe it is a serious problem.
Help please.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2007-07-18 5:24 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Then it sounds like we cannot discount the possiblity that the modem is in fact, toast. I do not know of any firmware files for it so resetting the software isn't going to be possible. Have you a PCMCIA modem anywhere which you can try?
 Top of the page
yvesyves Page Icon Posted 2007-07-21 11:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I think I am going to buy a 720 or 728 but on the other forum handheld 2000 I read that the same problem happen to two members with 720 and they are awaiting an answer from hpc/factor. I am very interested in the answer too. The thread is:: connecting Jornada 720 with aol dialup connection
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-07-21 1:08 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
As Chris has said, AOL's proprietary numbers will not work with ANY Jornada. There was some third-party AOL add-on to Pocket Inbox that supposedly allowed you to dial in through AOL's numbers, but I never got it to work. The name of the app fails me, but go to Henri Spagnolo's 7XX site and it'll be there.

But you're probably out of luck with dialing into AOL one way or another. Do you have the opportunity to dial to another ISP and then access AOL (via Inbox/IMAP) ?

Jake

Jake
 Top of the page
Jake Page Icon Posted 2007-07-21 2:49 PM
#
H/PC Vanguard

Choking on the stench of ambition in Washington DC
Here's the home link for the AOL/Inbox app:

http://www.atware.com/atmail.html

Jake
 Top of the page
mscdex Page Icon Posted 2007-10-07 11:12 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

If you are able to successfully fill out the registration form on their site and get download links, let me know if they are newer than version 1.0. Coincidentally I had just uploaded 1.0 to my site right before I read this thread. I do not have an aol email address so I am unable to use the registration form to have the download details sent to me to see if it is in fact newer or not (I doubt it).
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 1.890 - Cached queries : 65 - Executed queries : 9