x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Jornada 720 Battery

Ollie999 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 5:09 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have just bought a Jornada 720. the problem I am having is with the battery. It seems to lose it's charge within 24 hrs when left connected to the Jornada.

I charged the battery yesterday 6/4/05 and at 8.30am 7/4/05 it is down to one bar with no use yesterday.

I have not owned one of these before, being a Palm user.

How long should the battery hold it's charge if the Jornada is not used or do I have to charge it everyday.

The battery is the standard one.

Have I got a hardware problem. The Jornada itself works fine and will connect via wi-fi to the internet.

Other than the battery problem if it is one, this is a graet little device.

Thanks

Top of the page
msafi (not logged on
msafi (not logged on Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 7:23 AM
#
hey,

you must have a bettery problem here.

when the jornada is off the battery should hold charge for very long time....a year?...maybe more...but it shouldn't run out in 24 hrs.

when the jornada is on, it's supposed to give you around 9hrs of continuous use without wifi and such.

one way to figure out if you got a program that's eating your battery or if it's a hardware problem, hard-reset the jornada and test the battery again before installing or modifying anything.

if it's still dying within 24hrs while it's off, get a new battery from ebay. they cost around 25USD. i hope it's an easy fix and not a major hardware problem.
 Top of the page
Ollie999 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 7:48 AM
#
H/PC Newbie

When the battery is detavched from the Jornada it does hold it's charge. It only seems to drain when connected to the device itself.

I have read articles about them turning on at midnight to do some sort of check.

Could it be this.

Thanks
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

yeah. my laptop does suffer from the same problem... only it sure doesn't turn on at midnight.... the battery holds the charge if not attached, but if i leave it attached... then it only lasts for a week (notebook not used during that time - hehe because i've got my jornada 728 instead!).

Edited by cmonex 2005-04-07 9:50 AM
 Top of the page
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 9:48 AM
#
H/PC Philosopher

Just for reference sake...

My J720 after a full charge and no use for several days (which is rare), the power indicator will show from one-half to as low as one-third battery life. Under normal use (with a CF card and an additional CF card with PC Card adapter), I will get several hours' use. Due to the cards (and age, I'm guessing), it is significantly diminished from the 9 hours mentioned above. These figures are also likely impacted by the midnight calendar event check that you mention.

In addition to the ebay suggestion, if you're in the US, Batteries Plus may also be an option. I have checked their website for this battery, and correctly identifies the part. However, I have never actually tried to secure one from them. As a last resort (J720 batteries are hit and miss on ebay), a phone call to your local store, or an email to customer service could be in order.

Best wishes on a resolution.

Kenny Anderson

PS--I don't know if Li-ion batteries develop memory, but has anyone tried to cycle an HPC battery? If so, how did you do it and was it successful?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 9:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

no, li-ion does not suffer from memory effect no need for a deep discharge-charge cycle!
 Top of the page
msafi Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 1:10 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

hmmm, my jornada also turns itself on at midnight, but it turns back off after few minutes (5 max)...so that doesn't really effect me. but i don't know about your jornada...how long does it stay on after it turns itself on? you know?
 Top of the page
christips
christips Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 1:42 PM
#
Sounds like a dodgy battery to me. Some ideas though - have you any cards plugged in that are esting the power? My wireless cards suck the life out of mine and they seem to really eat the power if you don't close the internet explorer window down when you turn off.You aren't leaving it in the sync cradle without a mains supply? The other thing could be if the battery has been dead for a while as is likely if you have just bought it - if so they get better after a few days.
Hope this helps.

Chris
 Top of the page
Ollie999 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 1:46 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I have altered the clock and it comes on at midnight but turns itself off after a minute.
 Top of the page
Ollie999 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-07 1:50 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

the only card I leave in it is a 256mb compact flash card. this is in the slot on the bottom.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-13 10:58 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Have you tried the hard reset proposed above in thread?
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 66 - Executed queries : 9