x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Newbie is looking to be enlightened...:)

nebbit Page Icon Posted 2007-07-26 1:45 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

I've had this 820 for a couple of years and have had many useful ideas for it but just never got around to it. Enough said, I am looking to get the most out of this unit and realize I am ignorant about using it. So, if someone might be so kind as to take me under their wing and answer so newbie questions it would be greatly appreciated.

Q1; I've been trying to load programs too the 820 but don't have a Window box to load active sync to, and I also don't have a serial cable. Is there a way to use WiFi ( ihave a card), CF card to transfer pgms directly, or possibly Bluetooth (pie in the sky chance..).

Q2; When I transfer a pgm to the 820 via CF card and try to execute the pgm I get "Program is not a valid Windows CE application". What is the trouble here?

My system Info tells me the following:
MS Windows CE Handheld PC Edition Ver. 3.0
Core System Version 2.11
Processor: StrongArm SA-1100

Thanks in advance fro any help anyone can give.

Top of the page
Hurricane John Page Icon Posted 2007-07-26 2:18 PM
#
H/PC Sensei

I will assume that you purchased your HP 820 second hand and didn't receive a users manual, so here is a link where you can download a copy. It's a good place to start lots of good information in there!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?product=58228&cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&product=58228&dlc=en&lang=en

Top of the page
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2007-07-26 10:41 PM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

Q1) You can use the infrared port to receive files. Many developers include the CAB files in their download packages; these CAB files can be copied onto a CF card an executed on the 820 to install the programs.

Q2) When you get that message, it usually means that the file you copied over to the H/PC is a desktop PC installer program that installs the program via ActiveSync. Occasionally, though, the developer writes a direct executable of the program (an .exe file that WILL execute on the H/PC), in which case you have to make sure it's written for your specific processor (a StrongARM SA-1100, as you observed). In that latter case, though, the filename usually includes "ARM" (or occasionally "sa" ) - as opposed to MIPS, SH3, or SH4. (Have I succeeded in confusing you further? )
 Top of the page
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.171 - Cached queries : 43 - Executed queries : 26