x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

WebBrowser

1 2 3
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 8:57 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

I can name at least 5 people on this board who can program in C++.
The question you have to pose is "How do we lock them in a room together to get them to bang heads?"

Anyone got a transit, a full tank, some gaffer tape and the number of a local pizza company?

It isn't, however, up to me to volunteer their time.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 12:03 PM
#
H/PC Elite

You've got a point, and everything in volontary, I would but I don't know any C, I'll try and get a book at the weekend. Anyone know of any good ones?

Nick
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 12:16 PM
#
H/PC Elder

Nick Charlton - 2005-04-21 10:03 AM

You've got a point, and everything in volontary, I would but I don't know any C, I'll try and get a book at the weekend. Anyone know of any good ones?

Nick

One of my favorite book on C/C++ was the "Microsoft C/C++ Reference manual" /w tutorial (of sorts). Very nice and clean, no additional dead-weights that many RED-COVER programming books have. The reference manual goes straight into the language itself, including a bit of oop for C++, without spinning stories and analogies to deliver the concepts.

Its a 2 book set. White in color, thin ... very thin ... together, less than 1 inch. But it packs everything needed, and nothing else. But ... prepare for in-depth reading and stuffs.
 Top of the page
Snappy! Page Icon Posted 2005-04-21 12:23 PM
#
H/PC Elder

C:Amie - 2005-04-21 6:57 AM

I can name at least 5 people on this board who can program in C++.
The question you have to pose is "How do we lock them in a room together to get them to bang heads?"

Anyone got a transit, a full tank, some gaffer tape and the number of a local pizza company?

It isn't, however, up to me to volunteer their time.

How about an all expense paid summer camp? ... think greyhound bus to a cabin with high-speed DSL connection ...
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-23 8:05 PM
#
H/PC Elite

PIE works with ActiveX's right? Do you think it would accept a desktop one? Then you could use the IE6 or Mozilla controls

Nick
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 7:29 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Any host AX is going to be compiled for x86 for a start. Like most things in CE, it only supports a limited subset, not the works.
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 7:42 AM
#
H/PC Elite

Thought so

Nick
 Top of the page
jimkyser
jimkyser Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 10:36 PM
#
I know C and C++. I am also somewhat familiar with the XPCOM interfaces that the Gecko browser uses and how ActiveX works in the C/C++ world. That said, to port the Mozilla browser to a somewhat resource limited device would be a real challenge. As was stated above you would not only need to port the browser ActiveX control but all of the Gecko XPCOM components that the ActiveX control is a wrapper for. I'm not syaing it can't be done, but it would be a big project.
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 10:55 PM
#
H/PC Elite

Maybe instead we should try to compile Minimo instead, it's already done in WM2003, so it should be easier that some (never tried) AX replacement that has never been compiled in CE

Just my $0.02
 Top of the page
jimkyser Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 11:07 PM
#
H/PC Newbie

Now I've registered.

As stated above (while I was typing this), as an alternative to using the ActiveX control, how about basing your work on the Minimo project? Go here:

http://www.mozillazine.org/articles/article6097.html

The biggest limitations seem to be that it requires at least 32MB RAM and that it is currently built against the Pocket PC 2003 SDK.

As far as the memory issue, if they've stripped out functionality and still require 32MB, I don't think you'll ever get the ActiveX control ported and running in anything less that that.

Edited by jimkyser 2005-04-24 11:09 PM
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-24 11:43 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

wow how is that it needs 32 MB? not even firefox wants that much (well yes it does if you already have something opened in it) even though it's bloatware... i don't mind 32 though as i have 64 mb ram
limitation is the 2003 sdk

Edited by cmonex 2005-04-24 11:46 PM
 Top of the page
thcrw739 Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 12:18 AM
#
H/PC Sensei

I am still wondering why it's such a mystery to compile a browser...Opera 4 & 5 was ported to a 36mhz arm with a greyscale screen. The revo/mako... then also a 16mhz Oregon Scientific brand as well ...why is it so hard to do somthing like that for these windows ce machine's. effort? yeah...well somebody sure put effort into the oprea, java is actully integrated into it, so all those java advertisements & games actully move like they are suppose too on this littile itty bitty 36mhz greyscale symbian OS.....Oh well, i dont know the first thing about devlopment...it just seems strange.........
 Top of the page
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 12:26 AM
#
H/PC Elite

no mistery, it's just a BIG project, and because we on the H/PC community are almost alone (except for SoftMaker and the other devs still in the business, which are like 1/30 of the PPC devs), then we must make the webbrowser by ourselves. And since almost nobody here knows how to code on that advanced level, and from that minority that knows C/C++ coding, most of them are busy with their everyday lifes, then we've got minimal dev time here.

So that leaves us in a really bad state .

It ain't difficult, we just lack the people doing so. Any volunteers?

Edited by matrixcore 2005-04-25 12:27 AM
 Top of the page
Nick Charlton Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 2:41 AM
#
H/PC Elite

How about bribing SoftMaker?

Nick
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-04-25 8:08 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

oh that java isn't up to date with that version of opera.
and it is *slow*. of course mostly due to the 36 mhz if we tried it on the jornada 720 (if we could), then it would be (almost) quite fast

anyway i agree that it could & should be done.
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.281 - Cached queries : 49 - Executed queries : 32