x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

The "Forum ideas / Bugs / Request" thread

[Frozen]
« Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next »
Frozen
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-08 10:48 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

OKay, there have been some recent scammers posting the same links (same person likely) to this 'anti'-spyware software.. Is there anyway that we can inhibit spamming besides blocking un-registered users from posting?

Edited by tenjeangosi 2006-05-08 10:55 PM
 Top of the page Quote Reply
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-05-09 6:56 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Respectfully tenjeangosi, we hardly have any spam problems on this board. Everything I've seen has been dealt with in less than 12 hours, and usually either cmonex or chiark have pushed it off the board before I even get a chance to visit the site for the first time in any given day.

If we were being torrented, I would see the need. The Handheld Addict forum, that had a need - it's now too late.
We've had two unsolicited posts in a week. Both of which I might add you have replied to. While harmless to do so on the forum (except for your post count, which will be seen to drop), I hope that you don't do that with email spam, because that is exactly what they want you to do.
I don't recommend you visit the URL's they post either, you are just making them money
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-13 10:20 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

You are right C:Amie, we hardly ever have spamming problems..
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-05-19 12:26 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

C:Amie, I know in another thread you were talking about an HPC census... I would register.. I think you should do that and have a 'census' every year..
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 9:03 AM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

That's a site idea rather than a forum idea

Apologies to anyone who was getting Pegasus errors in the last few minutes, I had to performa real-time fix, and the only way to do that was to hold up the main site engine. The regression error that I went after is now fixed though, you'll be pleased to hear
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-02 9:41 AM
#
Apologies to anyone who was getting Pegasus errors in the last few minutes, I had to performa real-time fix, and the only way to do that was to hold up the main site engine. The regression error that I went after is now fixed though, you'll be pleased to hear

I was just about to post about that, but nevermind then.
SueNY Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 2:40 PM
#
Factorite (Elite)

Is anything being done about the spammer that keeps posting garbage on the "Pocket Word Converter?" thread? He posts the same garbage several times a day. Perhaps locking that particular thread might help? Prohibiting "Guests" from posting might help also, but then again a dedicated spammer would just register under a fake name and email.
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2006-06-03 3:39 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

SueNY, sorry to burst your bubble, but that was frozen nearly 9 hours ago pending conclusion of an experiment

Finally someone has worked out why I've not killed off guest posting. This is a targeted attack, I don't want to give them an excuse to go after the registration system.
chazco
chazco Page Icon Posted 2006-06-11 5:50 PM
#
Sorry if this has already been suggested, but a PDA friendly version of the forum would be nice. I'm assuming you're using vBulliten, which has built in functionality for this under the "Archive" utility.

http://www.vbulletin.com/docs/html/main/vboptions_group_archive

Edited by chazco 2006-06-11 5:52 PM
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-11 5:55 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Yes, C:Amie was talking about doing that...
C:Amie

No progress on the mobile mod. It might be something I sit down and do over the summer. I'm not going to make any promises here though; this way I cannot disappoint any users.

From the 20th page of this thread...
matrixcore Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 12:34 AM
#
H/PC Elite

C:Amie - 2006-05-09 5:56 AM

Respectfully tenjeangosi, we hardly have any spam problems on this board. Everything I've seen has been dealt with in less than 12 hours, and usually either cmonex or chiark have pushed it off the board before I even get a chance to visit the site for the first time in any given day.

If we were being torrented, I would see the need. The Handheld Addict forum, that had a need - it's now too late.
We've had two unsolicited posts in a week. Both of which I might add you have replied to. While harmless to do so on the forum (except for your post count, which will be seen to drop), I hope that you don't do that with email spam, because that is exactly what they want you to do.
I don't recommend you visit the URL's they post either, you are just making them money

Ok, would again bump the idea of
a) restricting guest post
b) encouraging registrations
c) When registering, ask for
. 1.- a verification code (a not OCR-able image with alphanumeric characters)
. 2.-a valid email to send an activation link, so no automated bots can register

The points which you used in the quote above this post are hardly valid now. look here, here, and here

those are more than 13 spam postings in less than 72 hours, of which none has been properly dealt with. I think the site has just acquired a spam problem.

I mean, maybe you can hold them off for a few more days or months, but they have discovered they can post big time in this site, and believe me, they'll continue to do so, and this will eventually overrun all the current mods and admins.

Edited by matrixcore 2006-06-14 12:53 AM
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 1:27 AM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

Oh yeah, I remember when I registered, I could just start posting without any activation... Well, I do agree with all of your points.. Also, I have my own suggestion, maybe adding a 'View Posts since your last visit' in the Category & Forums page...
CE Geek Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 3:34 AM
#
Global Moderator
H/PC Oracle

I think that's what "Latest Threads" is.
torch Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 12:58 PM
#
Subscribers
H/PC Guru

I did not see that.. Oops
KBoyKool Page Icon Posted 2006-06-14 10:23 PM
#
H/PC Philosopher

tenjeangosi, I missed that for a while, too... but now I have an even better tool.

Sometimes I don't have time to read everything I missed out on in one session. Thus, coming back to Latest Threads does no good. Instead, I'll go to the root Forums link and then click on "Posts active today". Note that to the right end of the address it reads "days=0" indicating posts within the last 23:59:59 (H:M:S). I then manually change this to something like 1, 2 or 7, depending on how long I was "away". :+D Granted, you can also use the search tools to accomplish the same thing, but this is faster for me. ;+)
« Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next »
Frozen
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.203 - Cached queries : 69 - Executed queries : 10