x
This website is using cookies. We use cookies to ensure that we give you the best experience on our website. More info. That's Fine
HPC:Factor Logo 

Latest Forum Activity

Remote Desktop question Jornada 680

1 2 3
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 11:09 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

I just looked and now see the Terminal Server Client box open in the Jornada so does this mean the the TSC has been succesfully installed? If so, what's next?
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 11:23 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

good!

if you have already enabled remote desktop on the PC, then just type in its address (192.168...... for example), and connect
(watch out for firewalls - you need to configure it to enable port 3389)

Edited by cmonex 2005-05-23 11:26 AM
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 11:37 AM
#
Factor Fanatic

Looks like the problem now might be on the Desktop's side? Let's go through this one step at a time please as I am confused here with something, your intructions on pcmag was

"rdp isn't difficult to setup especially if the PC is running XP. just go to control panel/system/remote then enable remote desktop. watch out for firewalls (port to enable: 3389), and don't disable necessary services. and install terminal services client on the jornada. that's about all. "

When I look there, what I see is "Remote Assistance", I then checked the box. Is this correct or am I supposed to have what Bob suggested which was

"It's called Remote Desktop Connection in Start/All Programs/Accessories/Communication

If you do not have this then you will need to install this from the original CD.
It's not installed as default if a minimum install of XP was performed originally."

I have this remote desktop option exactly where he says and when I open it up it asks for a "computer" name and I don't know which name it is seeking?

Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 11:52 AM
#
H/PC Oracle

uh-oh. i didn't read carefully katayama's post. he was talking about the client for the desktop, not the server. you need the server on the desktop. there where i said! control panel/system/remote. if you can see only remote assistance there... hm, do you have XP Pro or Home?
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 12:50 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

XP Home
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 1:34 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

according to microsoft.com it isn't available for XP Home.
however there should be a workaround... half of the the stuff about limits they're saying is not true. (for example you can use the computer while another user uses another account for rdp... or for example no problem if both of the computers are on the internet directly. just official rubbish, "great" site.)
so, i'll look for a solution, if you can't easily upgrade to XP Pro.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 2:51 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

XP Home lacks the Terminal Server modules, so cannot share RDP sessions at all.

The fundimental system is XP Pro is present in the Media Centre and 64-bit versions of XP, hence the carry over. However as an XP home user you have wasted your time.

I would advise that you be more specific with your questions in future mikehende. Always post your full specification and anything that could be useful when seeking support. It saves us a lot of time.

All is not completly lost however, as you can use VNC. For which we have full walk-through guides:
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0036.asp
&
http://www.hpcfactor.com/support/cesd/s/0037.asp

cmonex, The SP2 beta hacks for termserv.dll as you say do allow concurrent sessions, however having investigated their worth in some detail have concluded they cause great system instability and also when used in a group policy environment cause absoloute chaos with service start orders and remote log-in after reboots. You cannot for example log-in to the system unless someone else is logged in.
You also have to use Fast user switching and the welcome screen running (although there is a way around the welcome screen)... both completly pointless services from my own, personal perspective - and again, not available in a group policy environment - without forcing group policy to ad-hoc reg edit at ever user log on... on every single terminal.

So my advice, don't think of it as a solution. To anyone at Microsoft who's watching.. I would happily pay a few £ - a reasonable number of £ that is - to have a concurrent user license.
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 3:16 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

My sincerest apologies to everyone here for having left out this crucial bit of info ["Home" Edition" of XP] I had no idea this would make all that big a difference, anyhow, just spoke to my wife at work who has been helping me with this and has an idea of networking. We have 3 pc's on a wireless network here at home, the purpose of this project is for me to take my Desktop into the Garage at the back of the house and hook it up inside the garage, the Jornada is for me to control the Desktop while being "outside" of the garage.

My wife says that she can try to establish a different connection but she thinks that a "peer to peer" connection might be better for "my" situation only that this type of connection will be very difficult to do. So we will try something else using the wireless connection later today when she gets home from work, she says all we might have to do is to extend the "range", so let us try first and if we need any help, I will post back here so you guys can put this on hold for now.

Regarding the "vnc" thing, this is what we had used with the BE300 in the past but we will only use this as a last resort as we did not liek it's performance, thanks for the links though. So let's see what happens later, will post back here, thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 3:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Mike,

Thanks for filling us in here. Things start to make sense now.

I may be able to find you a faster VNC client than the one in the CESD article I sent. Give me a little while to see if I can dig it out of my library. The conduits and AT&T client's are rather slow I will admit.

I hear what you are saying about the peer to peer connection (ad-hoc), however I do not understand why you would need to do this. There isn't going to be any performance benefit from doing it. Not on this scale.

EDIT: here you are
 Top of the page
mikehende Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 4:06 PM
#
Factor Fanatic

Every Saturday, I spend time outside of the home cleaning the yard, playing sports with my 2 sons, barbequeing for them when the weather is good and then on Saturday evenings a friend or two will stop by, we will have a few Beers while listening to some music and relax a little. My neighborhood is very quiet so I have a small music system inside of the Garage and use my pc to playback the music, thing is, I need some sort of control for the music and the pc when I am "outside" of the garage so i won't have to run in there and out very often so i was looking aorund for a very small pc for when I am sitting utside that I can control my main pc with, hence the Jornada.
Regarding the "peer to peer" connection, we are thinking this is best becuase the Jornada won't be that far away from the main pc so we won't have signal problems directly connecting the 2 pc's to each other but the wireless way using our wireless network system, we don't know if we will have signal/interference becuase the setup is inside the home and we need to use this outside. When I first tried this with the BE300 and VNC, there was way too much latency so I ditched that setup which is why I would prefer to use something else this time around, hope this explains everything to you to the fullest but please feel free to ask any questions, thanks.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 4:33 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

Have you looked at getting a larger antenna for you WiFi setup? Some manufacturers offer them.

Are you using 802.11a, b or g?

VNC may be your better option. With RDP, it means that when you are logged into the system, no one else can use it without logging you out again. Where as VNC means that other people can still use it and you effectivly watch.

Give the VNC 3.3.7 server / 3.3.2 client that I suggested above a try (review: http://www.hpcfactor.com/qlink/?linkID=68 ) before you look to make any infrastructure changes to your Network. You may find it acceptable.

Don't forget to set the client up to restrict the protocol stream as much as possible.
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 5:04 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

C:Amie - 2005-05-23 8:51 PM

cmonex, The SP2 beta hacks for termserv.dll as you say do allow concurrent sessions, however having investigated their worth in some detail have concluded they cause great system instability and also when used in a group policy environment cause absoloute chaos with service start orders and remote log-in after reboots. You cannot for example log-in to the system unless someone else is logged in.
You also have to use Fast user switching and the welcome screen running (although there is a way around the welcome screen)... both completly pointless services from my own, personal perspective - and again, not available in a group policy environment - without forcing group policy to ad-hoc reg edit at ever user log on... on every single terminal.

So my advice, don't think of it as a solution. To anyone at Microsoft who's watching.. I would happily pay a few £ - a reasonable number of £ that is - to have a concurrent user license.

well, i never tried it, but one of my friends is using it extensively. he's never had these problems described here. maybe he just didn't use group policies?

but you're right about the fast user switching, i hate it too. one of the reasons why i didn't try the rdp hack - other is that i don't need it, it suits me more that the PC will be locked and no one can use it.
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 5:07 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

a-men

Windows
 Top of the page
C:Amie Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 5:08 PM
#
Administrator
H/PC Oracle

a-men

Windows Key + L all the way
 Top of the page
cmonex Page Icon Posted 2005-05-23 5:14 PM
#
H/PC Oracle

anyways, i'm very very sorry it didn't work out because of XP Home shouldn't i look for any hack then?

i didn't know about this vnc viewer, is it really efficient&fast? i'll try it, though i like rdp better, just curious
 Top of the page
1 2 3
Jump to forum:
Seconds to generate: 0.235 - Cached queries : 72 - Executed queries : 9